Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:37 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,096,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Muleskinner, sorry, I should have pm'd that question. I was asking because I live in the same area that the OP does, and I wanted to know what grocery store they'd found with lower prices.
That's OK DC...you actually helped me get my point across.THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 11:51 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,634,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieAnne View Post
I understand being upset and yelling boycott Wal-Mart after veiwing the film. But I shop there because I spend about a third less for my monthly groceries than the other stores. I scrape to get by and have to feed my family as well. So until the stores like Safeway and Giant can compare in prices I have no choice but shop Wal-Mart.

There are cheaper ways to get your groceries.

Save-A-Lot is one way, clipping coupons is another, growing your own veggies and canning/drying them is another, going to a local farmer's market, herd sharing, going directly to a farmer, hunting/fishing your own meat....

Where there is a will, there IS a way.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:55 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,923,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
There are cheaper ways to get your groceries.

Save-A-Lot is one way, clipping coupons is another, growing your own veggies and canning/drying them is another, going to a local farmer's market, herd sharing, going directly to a farmer, hunting/fishing your own meat....

Where there is a will, there IS a way.
Wal-Mart takes coupons. Even if you grow your own, you will still have to supplement that with some grocery buying. The farmer's market tends to be more expensive. Hunting/fishing is nice, but not necessarily cheaper, plus many people don't have access to hunting/fishing locations, just like most of us don't have Save-A-Lot.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
But Steve, what items are actually manufactured in the states any more?
Pick an item really.

Made in the USA Products Directory

Old 07-01-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Wal-Mart takes coupons. Even if you grow your own, you will still have to supplement that with some grocery buying. The farmer's market tends to be more expensive. Hunting/fishing is nice, but not necessarily cheaper, plus many people don't have access to hunting/fishing locations, just like most of us don't have Save-A-Lot.
You don't have SAL's there?! No discount grocery stores at all?

I know that in our area, produce is cheaper from the grower, than in the stores. It tastes better, and is fresher as well. How is hunting and fishing not cheaper?

I know I pay $95/year for an all inclusive hunting/fishing license, plus $45 for 4 deer tags, and $60 for turkey tags (2 spring, 4 fall, 6 birds in all).

So $200 all total for all my meat. I kill all 4 deer yearly (usually), and that averages out to around 400lbs plus (field dressed) of deer alone, not to mention about 120lbs (20lbs average) of turkey. Plus all our fish we catch as well. (say 80lbs to even the numbers up)

That is around 600lbs of meat, which is around $0.33/lb for meat. Can't find it that cheap anywhere else!

Now take away the cost of ammo, ($1/rd for deer, $0.50/rd for turkey) (total, around $10 give or take) gun care ($20/year),fishing bait ($2 for livers) and time, and it's a bit more per lb(no more than $1-1.50/lb); but still cheaper than store meat.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 PM

454 posts, read 796,718 times
Hey, Cav Scout Wife, do you butcher your own meat? What are the costs?

No snark; just a really curious city-dweller.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
You don't have SAL's there?! No discount grocery stores at all?

I know that in our area, produce is cheaper from the grower, than in the stores. It tastes better, and is fresher as well. How is hunting and fishing not cheaper?

I know I pay $95/year for an all inclusive hunting/fishing license, plus $45 for 4 deer tags, and $60 for turkey tags (2 spring, 4 fall, 6 birds in all).

So $200 all total for all my meat. I kill all 4 deer yearly (usually), and that averages out to around 400lbs plus (field dressed) of deer alone, not to mention about 120lbs (20lbs average) of turkey. Plus all our fish we catch as well. (say 80lbs to even the numbers up)

That is around 600lbs of meat, which is around $0.33/lb for meat. Can't find it that cheap anywhere else!

Now take away the cost of ammo, ($1/rd for deer, $0.50/rd for turkey) (total, around $10 give or take) gun care ($20/year),fishing bait ($2 for livers) and time, and it's a bit more per lb(no more than $1-1.50/lb); but still cheaper than store meat.
We have an Aldi's. Does that count as a discount grocery store? Unfortunately it's small and often doesn't carry the products I buy, so it doesn't really do me much good.

Local produce here tends to be more expensive than the grocery store, but the upside is that it also tends to be healthier. But the Wal-Marts in our area actually buy from some of the local producers to sell, as well.

As for hunting, I don't own a gun, so that would be an investment right there. Add to it, that standing 10 free from the side of a barn, and I'd probably still miss it. So my investment in ammo would be more than yours. I don't know about about the hunting and permits, but I do know that hunting is a significant investment of time. My time has value, too.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:04 PM

416 posts, read 408,472 times
Whats really shocking is that Americans knowing what Walmart does and then carry on buying from them. Americans are just as guilty as Walmart.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig121 View Post
Whats really shocking is that Americans knowing what Walmart does and then carry on buying from them. Americans are just as guilty as Walmart.
Yeah, cause none of those other big corporations do evil stuff like Wal-Mart!

Old 07-01-2009, 02:24 PM

416 posts, read 408,472 times
Well, when you pay less as consumers what the bloodly high hell are you expecting companies to do?

Spend $2 buying and selling an item only to sell it as $1?

The companies have to make profits and you as consumers with your very bad pricing habits have made the companies use cheaper labour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies