Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2008, 09:22 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,551,091 times

Advertisements

Wow. Very powerful images.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:59 PM

420 posts, read 1,236,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Ohhhh cruuuuuel worrrrrrld! I feel so terrible now! Wahhhhhhh.

I've been saved! I've been saved! No more will I expect black people to be responsible for themselves. No more will I be rude to blacks who use ebonics when they speak to me. No more will I expect irresponsible black people to behave like responsible black people do.

Poooooooor things! They had slaves in their history! Oh cruel Gawd! How could this be?!? How can we expect them, after generation and generation and free public schooling and opportunity and controlling the failing governments of black majority areas, to care for themselves?

Hurry up everyone, let's all run out and grab a black person and take them to our wonderful white homes and show them how to be responsible people! They can't handle doing it themselves! Right LK? They're not smart enough. (In case you don't know, that's the implication. That's why liberals are degrading to black people.)

WINNER: Stupidest thread of the month.

I am lost for words, Wow!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,414,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
obviously you haven't read through the thread,specially what I wrote.
I skimmed it... I think I gave up on you when I read something about putting yourself in other people's shoes... Basically, a call to be indifferent to irresponsible behavior.

Turning your life around isn't all that difficult... so when I hear people who have no idea about it, I just chuckle.

Quote:
But I suppose when the people who say their confederate flag is a symbol of their southern pride not a symbol of race you agree eh?
I don't anything... I don't care why they wave it. If they're racist, then they're racist. If they're pro-state rights, then they're pro-state rights. I don't care... It's not my business.

Quote:
I suppose you think it is alright to fly it from a government building or on government property?
Fed? No. State, I would vote it down in my state.

Quote:
But you jump and assume that I made this only a black vs white thread.
Where'd you get that? Mexicans can help some black people too... as long as they're not illegal or their was a traumatic event in their past... then someone must help them too... White people, I guess... because, apparently, our lives and our family histories are so wonderful, we're the only ones left to put ourselves in other's shoes.

Quote:
You didn't happen to read my part where I said blacks practiced slavery also did ya?
It's not relevant. What do you suppose, when we're putting ourselves in their shoes? We have the government investigate their histories and see which ones did what centuries ago and see which ones truly suffered? Come on...

Quote:
you truely are a moron sometimes
Truely is spelled "truly".

Old 07-17-2008, 07:09 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
[quote=One Thousand;4488574]I skimmed it... I think I gave up on you when I read something about putting yourself in other people's shoes... Basically, a call to be indifferent to irresponsible behavior.

replyno not about supporting irresponsible behavior but about those who say the confederate flag is about southern pride get over it.Put your self in the shoes of a black and they see it as a symbol of a government that sought legal slavery.

Turning your life around isn't all that difficult... so when I hear people who have no idea about it, I just chuckle.

I don't anything... I don't care why they wave it. If they're racist, then they're racist. If they're pro-state rights, then they're pro-state rights. I don't care... It's not my business.

replyI don't care if they fly it on a house or car but what if a German made a memorial in front of a government building to the Nazi's and said it is a memorial to my ancestors Im not racist get over it?It would be understandable that Jewish might not see it as just a memorial to Germans who fought in a war.

Fed? No. State, I would vote it down in my state.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:06 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,414,780 times
Quote:
...those who say the confederate flag is about southern pride get over it.Put your self in the shoes of a black and they see it as a symbol of a government that sought legal slavery.
Principle takes precedent over feelings. It doesn't matter how it makes people feel. If it's within the person's rights to wave the flag, from their car or from their state capitol, what a bunch of crybabies get all lathered up over doesn't matter.

What are you? A Californian?

Old 07-17-2008, 09:16 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Born and raised in Florida.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:34 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,860,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
First of all YES slavery was practiced in African nations, please do not confuse black with African because blacks were born in America. It was a very different type of slavery there than it was here. They had slaves because of wars. Basically POWs.

We were brought here and then enslaved under horrindous conditions. They stripped us of our culture and our identity. Most balcks do not know what part of Africa they are from. Whites whipped us, raped our women, killed our children, starved us, and seperated families.

Then when we were granted our "freedom", we were still not cosidered human beings. We had to fight to vote, we had to fight segregation, we had to be scared of lynchings...

So you forget because you do not want to know what your people did to us. But I can not and will not forget what happened to my people. Now that does not say that I am non-progressive, but how can you tell somebody to forget something like that? Shame on you and shame on your ancestors who did that.
You can live in the past, revel in it, bathe in victimhood. More and more whites, blacks, latinos, asian, etc. in this country frankly DON'T CARE WHAT YOU DO.

Affirmative action is going away. Rapidly. For those of you that think this is unfair, keep up the victim cry. Less and less of us are buying it.

Live a decent life and you get decent opportunities. Everything in this country is NOT equal. It IS however, pretty fair. Depends on your output. Have a bunch of bastard kids, don't get an education, speak poorly and cry discrimination and you will get a pittance back. Nobody is going to care more about you than you. If you are a healthy adult and don't put any effort in, don't look at others to care if you have nothing.

Shame on me and my ancestors? Get over yourself. Few are buying your pity party.

Jesse Jackson the dinosaur race baiter has disposed of himself with his calling his own people ******s last week and that I think is the final note of this victim brigade.

Most everybody thinks slavery in the US, or elsewhere in the world is evil. Do you really find anyone debating this here?

It's your choice how you live your life, how much effort you put in, how much you beg for accomodations, what you give back to the community. Nobody is going to do anything for you because of your race or your sex. Time to get a grip on this reality, take stock in yourself and make your own future. Or not. I think it's sad if you stay stuck looking for "accomodations", but in the end, do what you want, your choice.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:45 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,328,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
How can a White American mindset cause slavery when slavery has been around for thousands of years, before there were any White Americans?
Well in what is now America weren't most of the slave owners white? Many if the ideals of slave holders still carry on today do they not? These ideals were from white men were they not? Are not many of these men put up on a pedestal? The fact that they owned slaves is just a nasty little blemish on their historical slate. We can go see their signatures and what they stood for proudly displayed under secure glass.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:55 AM

444 posts, read 1,049,984 times
Wow, I have never seen photos like this before. It is disturbing to know that our country the world for that matter could do this to people. The aution letter is the most disturbing thing when I read that it bought tears to my eyes. How could peope be so inhuman?!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:03 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
agreed.But my purpose of this thread was to have people understand to do look at the future and consider important things that binds us together not just divides us.

But on the confederate flag issue,there are white racist groups who to this day hold on to the past and have adopted the flag as the symbol.So when people say it is a flag of my southern pride get over it.....well.

Is this thread meant to make guilt?No,Is this thread meant to make blacks think they are owed something for the past?No

Do I think the confederate flag should be banned from government buildings?Yes

But what this thread I hope to show is people better not forget the past,look to the future yes without dwelling on it,and that your future family member could be in a photo like those no matter their race because humans will always exploit others given the right conditions no matter how "civilized they think things have become or how much "change" is upon us or how much we need to "reform" the Constitution for the "modern" times...........

and probably the most important amendment that prevents a person from becoming a slave is the right to own a weapon.
Many people DON'T see the flag as a symbol of states wanting to continue slavery. Flags mean different things to different people. The pictures you show are of a horrible practice, a practice that no government should tolerate, a practice that the human race should put an end to. I understand that many people equate the Confederate flag with slavery, but many people also equate that flag with a battle for state's rights. Federalism and state's rights were a tremendously divisive issue for this country after the American Revolution. The Civil War has been cast as a war against slavery, but to many people who had ancestors who fought on the Confederate side, it was a fight against overriding Federal power. The conflict over flying the Confederate flag isn't necessarily a fight over racist values versus humane values, in many cases it's a fight over the conflicting versions of why the Civil War was fought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies