Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:06 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,953,260 times

Advertisements

Thanks a million for these pictures.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:10 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,943 times
Very sad indeed. But I cant see how this has any bearing on todays America or why there should be guilt associated with it by todays Americans.
I doubt very much that anyone will forget about or try to resuscitate slavery if folks
"Get over it"

Old 07-15-2008, 07:13 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,759,234 times
The document and pictures are chilling. It's hard to fathom that people considered their fellow man nothing more than a marketable item. Those poor souls.

Unfortunately, the terrible issue of slavery is not one limited to history. There are slaves in this world today, as hard as that is to believe.

iAbolish - Slavery Today (http://www.iabolish.org/slavery_today/index.html - broken link)

Slavery Today: Human Traficking :: National Underground Railroad Freedom Center

Free the Slaves - Home (http://www.freetheslaves.net/NETCOMMUNITY/Page.aspx?pid=183&srcid=-2 - broken link)

Old 07-15-2008, 07:19 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Very sad indeed. But I cant see how this has any bearing on todays America or why there should be guilt associated with it by todays Americans.
I doubt very much that anyone will forget about or try to resuscitate slavery if folks
"Get over it"
from my perspective it is not just about blacks getting over it,or placing blame soley on whites,or whites having guilt.I don't think anybody should get over it when looking at it as a human condition.

But there seems to be alot of racial topics lately and one about the confederate flag.It is my judgement that that flag represents a government who sought continued legal slavery and when one says the flag is about Southern pride not slavery well maybe these photos will make them understand that some don't see that flag as a sign of pride but of oppression.Is there any Jewish who can look at a Nazi flag with no emotion?

Old 07-15-2008, 07:21 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
not all supported slavery,Benjamin Franklin was against it,so were others,also it is not just a black and white racial issue.All races have participated in slavery,it happens to be that people in Africa at that time were able to be exploited.

Would we be the country we are today given a different past?I don't know,then again the whole world participated in slavery even after the American civil war in certain parts of the world like South America.
True, white people are not the only ones to blame when it comes to slave trading, as seen today, slave trade in the Africa and Asia is very active.

My frustrations, however, are with our country, America, and the fact that even though some of our founders were not supporters of slavery, they did accept a compromise that allowed for the continuation of the practice. There was a decision made based on the pros and cons of the time, and the pros of slavery outweighed the cons.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:30 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
True, white people are not the only ones to blame when it comes to slave trading, as seen today, slave trade in the Africa and Asia is very active.

My frustrations, however, are with our country, America, and the fact that even though some of our founders were not supporters of slavery, they did accept a compromise that allowed for the continuation of the practice. There was a decision made based on the pros and cons of the time, and the pros of slavery outweighed the cons.
sometimes things just can't happen over night.America being united at the begginning was shakey at best and could have imploded.Im not justifying the past of compromise,but the civil war was the natural progression to the words "all men are created equal" that the founders did write.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:31 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times
Thats Gary Coleman on the bottom right side.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
horrible. but you know you can see slave trade any day on the streets of detroit or NO or memphis. people deal in flesh all the time in those cities. those who are sold are women and children and the cruel slave masters are often not white. don't believe me, ask CPS. fyi i am non white and no stranger to the streets.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:41 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
The document and pictures are chilling. It's hard to fathom that people considered their fellow man nothing more than a marketable item. Those poor souls.

Unfortunately, the terrible issue of slavery is not one limited to history. There are slaves in this world today, as hard as that is to believe.

iAbolish - Slavery Today (http://www.iabolish.org/slavery_today/index.html - broken link)

Slavery Today: Human Traficking :: National Underground Railroad Freedom Center

Free the Slaves - Home (http://www.freetheslaves.net/NETCOMMUNITY/Page.aspx?pid=183&srcid=-2 - broken link)

And some books here:

Kregel Publications - Product Detail - Escaping the Devil's Bedroom (http://shop6.gospelcom.net/epages/Kregel.storefront/487d4eed01ac05bd271dccfd841906b2/Product/View/6165&2D1 - broken link)

RAND | Monographs | Human Trafficking in Ohio: Markets, Responses, and Considerations

CRC Press Online

Globalization, Prostitution and Sex Trafficking, Corporeal Politics

Smuggling and Trafficking in Human Beings — www.greenwood.com

Macmillan: Enslaved: True Stories of Modern Day Slavery Sage, Jesse, Liora Kasten: Books

Simonsays.com | Error: File not found

plus hundreds and hundreds more...

Old 07-15-2008, 07:43 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
It was wrong and a shame to ever happen but no one today was alive back then, People need to get on with their future instead of holding on to something they can do nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies