Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your weapon of choice for defending your family/assets?
9mm Handgun 19 12.93%
.45 Handgun 23 15.65%
Assault Rifle 11 7.48%
Rifle 3 2.04%
Battle Axe 0 0%
Hatchet 0 0%
Butcher Knife 2 1.36%
Combat Knife 0 0%
Sledge Hammer 0 0%
Baseball Bat 6 4.08%
Nail Bat 2 1.36%
Club 0 0%
Taser 1 0.68%
Carpenters Knife 0 0%
Nunchucks 3 2.04%
Shovel 0 0%
Rake 2 1.36%
Katana 1 0.68%
Chain Saw 0 0%
Golf Club 0 0%
Brass Knuckles 0 0%
Baton 0 0%
Flame Thrower 2 1.36%
Household Chemicals 3 2.04%
Tranquilizer Gun 0 0%
Fork 3 2.04%
Butter Knife 5 3.40%
Grenade 2 1.36%
I have my own security service. 12 8.16%
I wouldn't resort to violence to protect my family. 7 4.76%
Shotgun 40 27.21%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:18 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Wow!...Such paranoia! No guns of any kind in my house, or in my neighborhood for that matter. Never heard of a home invasion here either. You guys must live in some seriously bad areas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 07:27 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No guns of any kind in my house, or in my neighborhood for that matter.
Are you SURE that there are NO guns in your neighborhood????

Home invasions are an issue to be dealt with - unfortunately, law enforcement can only do so much in this area - the primary protection of ones property is up to the occupant of the property -

As I have mentioned - we have a number of firearms in and around our home / property. We are lucky enough to have our own firing range and my wife and I use it 2 / 3 times a week.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:52 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Wow!...Such paranoia! No guns of any kind in my house, or in my neighborhood for that matter. Never heard of a home invasion here either. You guys must live in some seriously bad areas!
Is it paranoia to have auto or homeowners insurance? Until last week I had never had an accident with my vehicles. I have never had a fire or tornado damage my home. I still buy insurance. Is it paranoia to have health insurance even if you are perfectly healthy?
I own more than a few guns. I use them for target shooting and this year to hunt deer. But make no mistake if an intruder ever happened to come into my home he would be welcomed by my Colt Gold cup 45acp.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
No what I recognize is that home invasions are as rare as the proverbial "hens teeth." I further recognize that a weapon in the home leads to sharply higher rates of suicide as well as domestic violence deaths and wounding. Being a rational person, as opposed to a Chicken Little type, I make the rational decision, that a gun in the house doesn't make me or may family safer. Further a gun in the house of my neighbor doesn't make either of us safer. My collective neighbors and I have decided that we don't want guns in our town, so we have passed laws to enact that. We are in the process of complying with a poorly reasoned Supreme Court ruling and we will implement it so that it does the least damage to out plan to minimize guns in the District of Columbia. We don't propose that other cities or states adopt our approach, only that they leave us alone to adopt our approach in our city.

More horrible things happen to people in "cozy safe neighborhoods" from whacked out neighborhood gun owners than the boogie man you all fear. 2/3rd of women kill with a firearm are killed by a husband, boyfriend or other intimate acquaintance.
You of course have some valid stats to back up your claim that more homicides happen due to domestic violence, and accidental shootings then say muggings, gang violence and all the other murders that happen in this country.
You have stats to show that gun owners who purchased their weapons legally are a greater threat than criminals? You have stats to show that those victims of domestic violence would still be alive because their wacked out scum bag husband or boyfriends wouldn't have used a knife or a hammer if they didn't have a gun?
Hmm I didn't think so.
Most law abiding gun owners don't misuse their weapons. In fact I would venture a guess that the % of those who do would be a very very small percentage.
Look I won't say you are crazy, dumb or deluded if you don't want to own a firearm. Its your choice. How you defend your home or protect your family is your choice. Where I live the police are atleast 20 minutes away if not more. The police in question are part time Billy Bobs who couldn't protect themselves let alone me. Crime where I live is very low. Very low doesn't = 0 .I didn't buy a gun to protect me or mine. I bought my guns because I enjoy target shooting. That said that Colt goldcup is more than a match for any intruder dumb enough to assume my house would be an easy score.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:31 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
My collective neighbors and I have decided that we don't want guns in our town, so we have passed laws to enact that. We don't propose that other cities or states adopt our approach, only that they leave us alone to adopt our approach in our city.
But therein lies the problem. You and your neighbors have been trying for three decades now to force the rest of us to adopt YOUR approach.

You want us to leave you alone yet you mock, ridicule, cajole, taunt and other such towards those of us who do not believe as you do.

We are beneath you and there fore you the anointed ones would show your disdain by implementation of laws for our own good.......

Cant have it both ways.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:21 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,139 times
I await with bated breath the searing logic and wisdom to my post.
Just leave us alone and we will leave you alone.................

yeah right..............

Old 08-03-2008, 08:36 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
[chirrup. chirrup.]

Old 08-03-2008, 11:07 PM

681 posts, read 2,360,113 times
Quote:
The vast majority of gun-owners don't own guns out of fear or paranoia. They are average people who recognize the need for personal protection in case of a small-chance encounter with bodily harm. Those that live in quiet, safe areas simply don't put faith in odds or statistics and take steps to ensure that they have a means of self-defense that is on-par or superior to weaponry used by criminals. It's plan B when plan A fails.

I hear it again and again. "I live in a safe neighborhood." "Never heard of bad things happening in my area." or "I'll call 911" And it's because of this that people just don't plan anything beyond the bare minimum of prevention. Can you imagine teaching fire safety to your children (if you have them) but never installing fire ladders in 2nd story windows? It's the same mentality. Those ladders are ugly and paranoid to some, but if the fire blocks the exit to the downstairs and you are separated from your children, can you count on them to come up with plan B? Will they overcome their fear of injury and jump out of a 2nd story window or will they hide in fear in a closet or under their bed, waiting for help but only increasing their likelihood of death by fire or smoke inhalation.

Comparing fire with home invasion, can you be 100% certain that it will be under control before the police get there? What are you willing to sacrifice if they don't?

It's not paranoia, it's preparedness.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:57 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
sulfuric acid...mix with a bat

Old 08-04-2008, 03:55 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,489 times
Some people are not more paranoid than other people it`s just that they have more to loose and for whatever reasons not everything is insurable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies