Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your weapon of choice for defending your family/assets?
9mm Handgun 19 12.93%
.45 Handgun 23 15.65%
Assault Rifle 11 7.48%
Rifle 3 2.04%
Battle Axe 0 0%
Hatchet 0 0%
Butcher Knife 2 1.36%
Combat Knife 0 0%
Sledge Hammer 0 0%
Baseball Bat 6 4.08%
Nail Bat 2 1.36%
Club 0 0%
Taser 1 0.68%
Carpenters Knife 0 0%
Nunchucks 3 2.04%
Shovel 0 0%
Rake 2 1.36%
Katana 1 0.68%
Chain Saw 0 0%
Golf Club 0 0%
Brass Knuckles 0 0%
Baton 0 0%
Flame Thrower 2 1.36%
Household Chemicals 3 2.04%
Tranquilizer Gun 0 0%
Fork 3 2.04%
Butter Knife 5 3.40%
Grenade 2 1.36%
I have my own security service. 12 8.16%
I wouldn't resort to violence to protect my family. 7 4.76%
Shotgun 40 27.21%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:43 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,585,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
If someone broke into your house and it threatened the life of your family, what would your weapon of choice be?

I chose Nail Bat.

If your choice is a Dog or other animal just select "I have my own security service" since I'm pretty sure the majority of people here do not have one.

Sorry for excluding the Shotgun.
My choice would be a 12 gage shotgun with triple ought shot and a wide shot pattern. Handguns/rifles fire a single projectile and require reasonable target acquisition to be effective, shotguns with heavy shot require minimal target acquisition and maximum knock down power in a confined space. Miss the target with a handgun/rifle and you may not get off any additional rounds, a home invasion is usually a one shot opportunity before fire is returned by the intruder, if armed with a firearm. This is no time to asses the weaponry of the intruder!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 06:52 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times

They better not come after me, or I'll shoot'em with my Daisy Red Ryder 200-shot Carbine Action Air Rifle!

You tell’em, Ralphie!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:10 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
They better not come after me, or I'll shoot'em with my Daisy Red Ryder 200-shot Carbine Action Air Rifle!
Ralphie would have my Sig 1911 in his face Wendell -

Bye Ralphie

Old 08-04-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:

You tell’em, Ralphie!
OMG, I watch "A Christmas Story" whenever I see it while channel surfing! I had a Daisy pump air rifle when I was a kid, I was knocking down pigeons at 100 yards, that was one powerful air rifle!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:39 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
OMG, I watch "A Christmas Story" whenever I see it while channel surfing! I had a Daisy pump air rifle when I was a kid, I was knocking down pigeons at 100 yards, that was one powerful air rifle!

"You’ll shoot your eye out, kid."

Old 08-04-2008, 07:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Steve - I kind of doubt the "100 yards" but 30 is believable. I had one as well.

I would like to see the 1934 firearms act repealed because a short barreled shotgun is just about the best close combat weapon ever invented. They used to call them a blunderbuss. Until then, or maybe not, as I would rather survive to face firearms charge than not, I think the new Taurus “Judge” has possibilities. Bird shot in the first chamber and .45 LC hollow points in the rest. That should stop a home invasion with out a fight.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Steve - I kind of doubt the "100 yards" but 30 is believable. I had one as well.

I would like to see the 1934 firearms act repealed because a short barreled shotgun is just about the best close combat weapon ever invented. They used to call them a blunderbuss. Until then, or maybe not, as I would rather survive to face firearms charge than not, I think the new Taurus “Judge†has possibilities. Bird shot in the first chamber and .45 LC hollow points in the rest. That should stop a home invasion with out a fight.
Good post. I was just at the national WW1 museum and they had a US army shotgun (trench close-in fighting) on display accompanied by a note about how the germans protested our use of shotguns. They had a quote from the president or a general stating something like "We didn't start this war but we intend to finish it with the tools we have at hand."

Old 08-04-2008, 08:24 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
If someone broke into your house and it threatened the life of your family, what would your weapon of choice be?

I chose Nail Bat.

If your choice is a Dog or other animal just select "I have my own security service" since I'm pretty sure the majority of people here do not have one.

Sorry for excluding the Shotgun.
If someone is in my house and is not supposed to be there, there isn't an option that can eclipse a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with .00 buckshot. The terminal balistics are absolutely devastating. In a target roughly the size of a human, ballistics tests at 10 yards indicate that the majority of the pellets do not pass completely through the body but stop just under the skin on the far side of the target. This means that a massive amount of kinetic energy has been absorbed by the intruder and a center mass hit will result in catastrophic bleed-out and a high probability of a spinal hit. Almost immediate incapacitation is assured and in a worst case scenario loss of consciousness will occur in approximately 8 seconds.

Any handgun will be inadequate as a home defense weapon. If an armed intruder is struck anywhere other than the head or high-spine, he will remain in the fight long enough for all bets to be off. .45 ACP is an impressive round and, among handguns, is difficult to beat for eliminating two-legged varmints, but an immediate stop still requires considerable skill and a modicum of luck. If it's dark in your home and you are completely wired with combat hormones, making a good, killing shot will be much more likely with a shotgun than with a handgun or rifle.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

I would like to see the 1934 firearms act repealed because a short barreled shotgun is just about the best close combat weapon ever invented. They used to call them a blunderbuss. Until then, or maybe not, as I would rather survive to face firearms charge than not, I think the new Taurus “Judge” has possibilities. Bird shot in the first chamber and .45 LC hollow points in the rest. That should stop a home invasion with out a fight.
Agreed. When I recenty purchased my Hungarian built ak-47 (amd-65), they had to extend the barrel length from 12.5" to the legal length of 16" to avoid complications according to NC gun laws. The point of the weapon was to be fired in close quarters, as it was originally built for the country's tank crews and paratroopers. Still, for just under 4 bills, it's gotta be one of the best values around. side-folding stock is nice too .

In all honesty, I've fired a whole heck of lot of auto/semi-auto firearms, but still haven't fired a good ol' shotgun.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
"You’ll shoot your eye out, kid."
Actually, I was trying to shoot out pigeon eyes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies