Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:57 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,768,262 times

Advertisements

California has always been one of the first to pass insane laws,taxes..
Is California the crystal ball for the rest of the nation?
Free Healthcare for Illegals
Insane idea's like taxing you for every mile you drive.
California courts overturning decison's the PEOPLE voted for.
State Budgets running billions in debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,921 times
I remember when the big smoking ban started in Ca and was so controversial but then we got used to it (although my husband and I are not smokers) and then when we moved from Ca to Mo, stopped in Oklahoma on the way and walked into a Denny's or something and were totally suprised to be asked "smoking or non" lol...we hadn't heard that in years!
Once we got to Mo, the no smoking ban was starting, then came to Georgia and it started here. Now we are moving to Va and we are lol'ing that we are probably going to be bringing the no smoking ban with us...Sorry Va

Old 07-29-2008, 10:15 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
This is because the people in california can put all these propositions on the ballot, some of which are insane (but popular) and then the courts remind them that popular<> lawful.

For example, they voted for a law requiring auto insurers to return something like 20% of auto premiums paid over the past 5 years. Not much different than voting yourself a refund on say...all the groceries you bought in the past 5 years. Needless to say, this is unconstitutional theft of someone elses money. (Imagine the state retroactively increasing property taxes 20% for the past 5 years and sending you a bill.)

To me, laws like this are just a general idiocy test but sadly other states would have voted the same way if they had the same mechanism for putting propostions on the ballot. The average voter is indeed not that bright.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:27 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,622 times
Certain situations highlight why this country was not set up as a democracy, but as a republic.

BTW, New Jersey is now the bluest state I believe...perhaps our states can get together and come up with some real doozies for the rest of the USA. Ever notice how the cost of living is so much in these blue states...then everyone flees to red states and tries to recreate what they left.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:50 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,668,019 times
this is a stretch.

and such a superficial review of california as well.

anyhow, i think the cal courts would only overturn propositions which sought to limit the citizens rights. like in the case of overturning the "marriage of the gays" thing. if it clashes with the consitution and is UNconstitutional, then it should be overturned.

thats what happend with blacks and their rights. tho im sure some people didnt want black marrying whites.

anyhow, i would like to see what else you think cal will do. or where you got your info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
California has always been one of the first to pass insane laws,taxes..
Is California the crystal ball for the rest of the nation?
Free Healthcare for Illegals
Insane idea's like taxing you for every mile you drive.
State Budgets running billions in debt.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:51 AM

When I was in grammar school i was told that California would "fall off the continent"; why won't it hurry up?!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:15 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times
Sorry but get over it! Because what happens in California does occur in the rest of the nation eventually.

If companies are ripping-off customers they should be required to return the money. What's wrong with that? There's so much programmed bias in many posters who live outside California. Old cliques\ "commies" that reveal nothing more than the bogeyman-mentality - DUH ! Always react rather than use reason.

And btw California is hardly the only liberal state in the US.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:26 PM

646 posts, read 1,639,859 times
I'm happy California is progressive, but its not nearly as progressive as it needs to be. Republicans need to put their bibles down and actually help in making this a better state, not taking us back to 19th century.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:28 PM

LMFAO...are you 15 punkrocker? Not every Republican clutches a bible the way you "progressives" cling to your Communist Manifestos...

Old 07-29-2008, 12:33 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
LMFAO...are you 15 punkrocker? Not every Republican clutches a bible the way you "progressives" cling to your Communist Manifestos...
How old are you, grandma?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies