Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
What good is living in a free society if you aren't allowed to make your own choices, good or bad?
It all depends on what impact your freedoms have on the next man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Meh. I dont know about banning. Just put up a few dozen low cost grocery stores and farmers markets and educate the public in poorer areas about the cost savings of cooking at home vs eating out. Im pretty sure communities could find space and volunteers to offer cooking classes at a low cost. $5 for a meal at McDonalds is pretty expensive when you consider how much food you could cook with $5.
I love that. Truly, what good is throwing up a few health food stores if people who traditionally have poor diets don't know the first thing about how to prepare the food. I'm not saying people don't know how to cook, but it is a lifestyle change and if they REALLY want to make a difference, then putting bans and restrictions isn't the smartest way to go about it, education is.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:15 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,762,576 times
When you consider what the cost or bottom line would be overall, it'd make a lot of sense. Get product donated by food shelves or vendors of food, have people learn to cook it, then eat the food or box it up and take it home. Advertise the hell out of it and all these "corporate responsibility" advocates will throw money at the program.

No one has to lose their triple bypass burger and fries, but when one considers a viable alternative in learning how to cook real food at a low cost it makes the alternative seem silly.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:16 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
not only did they want to offer healthier alternatives to the residents of the area, which in my opinion is a good thing. but they want a healthier community all around. did you know that 30% of children in south LA are obese?!?! we need a healthy choice for us and for our children. sandwich shops are good options. salad places are also good options.
And why should they make that choice? Who are they TO make that choice? I don't want anyone choosing what I eat besides my wife, who brings home the money therefore she has the right to.

Quote:
another reason they did this was because they also want to attract nicer sit-down restaurants that are weary of setting up shop in these areas. many sit down restaurants dont come to these areas because of the saturation of fast food places. as it stands, if i want to go somewhere fancy, like olive garden (did i just REALLY say that?) i would have to venture far out of my communities. i would have to take my money and spend it in another area. that sucks.
I really don't see the relevance of placement when it comes to fast food restaurants and sit down restaurants. Down the street from here, there's a Rally's and a Taco Bell right across the street from an Olive Garden and other sit down restaurants. It's all in what you feel like actually having that night.

Quote:
they want to show developers that the market for healthy food is here.
By forcing it into a community that may or may not want it?

Quote:
they are tryin to change the way people eat and live.
Which is wrong. They shouldn't have that much control over our lives. If I wanted to eat pure fat, then by god, let me have my heart attack.

Quote:
this area needs good food and quality services. it has been inundated with uhealthy food choices for years and i support this new step. i also beleive that more nutritional EDUCATION is needed.
The thing is, we have enough nutritional education. We have it shoved down our throats everyday by the media. Not to mention they do extensively go over it in school. The problem lies in not what you eat, just how MUCH you eat.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:17 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I read that article again, and the quote at the end by that woman, Rebecca, where she says "They should have other things....This fast food really fattens them up". That's not just bad decision making, it's also lazy parenting. Not letting your kids get exercize and learn to eat anything in moderation is the parents fault, not the "They" she talks of. Like said above, it's not WHAT you eat, it's how much. I mean seriously, how did people get obese before fast food restaurants even came into being? They had plenty of healthy food right off the farm. You can overeat and gain weight by eating too many fruits as well as too many of certain vegetables as well, no matter how they are cooked.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:19 PM

195 posts, read 515,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Good first step. I recall the poor ghetto areas of Baltimore, there was a liquor store on EVERY corner, with a 'patent medicine' pharmacy on the opposite corner, and a greasy fast food joint on the third corner and the fourth corner of the intersections would be a mom/pop convenience store peddling junk and tobacco.

Second step is for tax policy to incentivize eateries which offer healthier fare to enter center these economically poor zones.

Third step is to extend that tax policy across the total urban / metropolitan area. Eventually nationwide.

If done, watch how quickly the fast food chains will morph their menu's to take the tax bait and offer decent edible food.

I would pose my animosity to junk food as a simple question: Why can't I get a decent turkey & swiss cheese on whole wheat at most any eatery, including McDonald's, et al? How the hell HARD can it be?
WHAT???? Who would go to McDonald's to get a turkey and swiss on whole wheat? I wouldn't. I don't even go to McDonald's for a good hamburger. If I wanted to I should be able to. Get Real! Do you think global warming is caused by humans too? The Earth cools and the Earth warms. It's called cycles. Let me eat where and what I want to eat. Let me drive the biggest soot spewing diesel if I want to pay for it. If I own a business let me sell what is going to provide me a living to support my family. You do know that too much tree hugging causes the reprodution of Pinocchios.....Wooded Puppets that are on a string and don't think for themselves.

Last edited by Tim-mac; 07-30-2008 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 01:21 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-mac View Post
WHAT???? Who goes to McDonald's to get a turkey and swiss on whole wheat? I don't. I don't even go to McDonald's for a good hamburger. Get Real!
Exactly. Normally the reason I go to McDonald's is either I'm on a road trip and in a rush, and a Burger King is nowhere close by, or I have no food and a dollar in my pocket.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:22 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times
I got ticked off when they made Count Chocula with Whole Grains. It tastes a lot worse now than it did 10 years ago.

Ba$tards!!!!!!!

Old 07-30-2008, 01:23 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
How about people taking responsible for what they put in their body?Crazy Concept

Old 07-30-2008, 01:23 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
not only did they want to offer healthier alternatives to the residents of the area, which in my opinion is a good thing. but they want a healthier community all around. did you know that 30% of children in south LA are obese?!?! we need a healthy choice for us and for our children. sandwich shops are good options. salad places are also good options.

and another reason is because they also want to bring grocery chains like Fresh and Easy to these areas. here we have all the wonderful mexican grocery stores. the liqour/produce corner spots. we have Food 4 Less(ralphs family), maybe a nicer chain like vons(did i just say that?). but we dont have the WHOLE FOODS, the BRISTOL farms, the TRADER JOES, none of that. fresh and easy will be the first store to come to South Central and offer a wide range of healthy alternatives.

another reason they did this was because they also want to attract nicer sit-down restaurants that are weary of setting up shop in these areas. many sit down restaurants dont come to these areas because of the saturation of fast food places. as it stands, if i want to go somewhere fancy, like olive garden (did i just REALLY say that?) i would have to venture far out of my communities. i would have to take my money and spend it in another area. that sucks.
Many sit down restaurants may not be setting up shop because the demand may not be there! We're talking about a traditionally poor neighborhood. I'm pretty sure somebody that is living in poverty would not go to Whole Foods, Bristol Farms or Trader Joes because the comparable prices to the Food 4 Less that you speak of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies