Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:43 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,619,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post

You're hallucinating. The retirement benefits of the baby boomers have already been covered in full. No new SS revenues are needed in order to cover those. Actual problems, if any, will be primarily with respect to assuring the scheduled benefits of those who have not yet begun their working lives.
saganista,

I respectfully disagree - the retirement benefits are mostly paid by current FICA taxes of those in the work force. The trust fund is largely a myth - it's not really a fund, and it should not be trusted - those funds have been treated as general-revenue by the government over the years and have already been spent...

So when you say that the benefits of baby boomers have already been covered, I've heard that the fund is going into the red by anywhere from 2020 - 2030 - the estimates constantly change -but the gist is that the fund - as it currently stands - cannot be sustained. Either benefits have to be lowered, or taxes raised, or both. I for one think benefits have already been cut enough (by constantly raising the retirement age) and that taxes should be increased by modifying the income limit at which FICA stops...

HubbleRules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 11:44 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,497,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Putting a means test on social security is something I personally would be opposed to. To say that because you have "too much" that one cannot get back THEIR money - they money reduced THEIR take home pay would be, to me, stealing.
There is a valid equity argument here. SS is an insurance plan under which current premiums are paid in exchange for future benefits. Just as with other insurance plans, equity would require that when the time came, the benefits that were paid for were actually delivered. Not quite on the up-and-up for a homeowners company to show up after your mansion burned down and say, well look, you've made out a lot better financially than we thought you would when we sold you this policy, so even though you paid all the premiums over all these years, we're only going to pay you 10% of your claim. The same argument can be (and regularly is) made with regard to SS. Politically, however, it's simply unpopular to send checks to rich people. That's where the problem comes from.

Quote:
I support the partial privatization of Social Security.
This is because you are handicapped by an inate bias in favor of "private" over "public" anything and don't fully recognize or understand the actual wealth redistribution effects inherent in such privatization plans as are typically put forward.

Quote:
For those who are in their mid 40's or older, nothing would change. The deductions would remain as they are....
As a guess, I'm going to say that such a plan would result in the creation of a trillion dollars worth of new debt. It's probably more, but a trillion is a nice round number. How woulkd you finance that sort of shortfall?

Meanwhile, workers of every age and occupation already have access to all sorts of tax-favored investment options, so many that most people couldn't manage to name them all. Insurance and investment are EACH an important part of any well-constructed financial plan. Why all the urgency to chase so many people out of one and into the other?

Old 08-03-2008, 11:57 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,498,973 times
There is no problem with Social Security. The problem is the government's unwillingness to repay what Ronald Reagan stole from it.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:57 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,137,002 times
Quote:
I support the partial privatization of Social Security.

We have to be carefull with this, were probably going into an economic down cycle, not the time to bet on the pony's with the public's money.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
For those who are in their mid 40's or older, nothing would change. The deductions would remain as they are.

I care about younger tax payers too, they dont want to pay in for 100 million retired people, many of whom that collect SS do not need it. They are going to bear the brunt of this, and wont be able to afford it.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
For those in their mid 30's and older, I would allow 25% of that which is deducted from their checks to go into a 401K type program. This is not mandatory - it would be strictly voluntary.

Is it possible to lose your 401K in any kind of economic downfall, company bankruptcy (enron), ect ? If there is even a small chance that it can be lost, I would have to say not. It also diverts money from the SS system, good for the rich, not for the poor.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
And personally - I have no problem with allowing workers to totally opt out of social security all together - and forfeiting any future rights to social security.

This goes directly against the SS program. Its there so that no matter WHAT happens, you will have a retirement income. People sometimes make foolish errors with their money. Accidents happen, gambling debts, stock market crashes, but with good old SS, your always at least partially covered for retirement.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,288,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
This goes directly against the SS program. Its there so that no matter WHAT happens, you will have a retirement income. People sometimes make foolish errors with their money. Accidents happen, gambling debts, stock market crashes, but with good old SS, your always at least partially covered for retirement.
As one of millions who has "opted out" of social security, I disagree.

Not only can I, and millions of others, never get social security or medicare, it is of absolutely no concern to us. I (and millions of others) are far better off -

Old 08-03-2008, 12:11 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,288,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Is it possible to lose your 401K in any kind of economic downfall, company bankruptcy (enron), ect ? If there is even a small chance that it can be lost, I would have to say not. It also diverts money from the SS system, good for the rich, not for the poor.
And, it is possible for the sun not to come up tomorrow.

Over the last 30 / 40 years - what has been the trend with the stock market?

Old 08-03-2008, 12:11 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,497,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
However, we both know the government would never do it - they want to keep a good thing to themselves...
You know, I hear this kind of thing pretty often -- that Congress and other government people have some sort of super-benefit program going for them. In actuality, government benefits are not much different from those that would be found at most large enterprises or corporations. If you believe otherwise, why not suggest what a few of these supposed super-benefits actually are....

Quote:
I think what is far more likely (and what I totally support) - is Obama's plan to lift the limit on FICA taxes - with a doughnut-hole so that between the current income limit and 250,000, no additional taxes would be collected, but wages above 250,000 would be subject to FICA. From what I've read, that would make the system extremely sound....
From what I've read, that might provide an incentive to those currently earning wages in excess of $250K to shift the form of their compensation into something other than wages. Once you plug that effect back into the loop, you might end up with a lot less new revenue than what you thought.

Quote:
I actually think that all sources of income (not just wages) should be subject to FICA if that's what it takes to make the system sound and to prevent benefit cutbacks from those who are currently in the system...
That's another proposal that has considerable support, but suggesting against the reasoning stated above would be the fact that the system is sound now and that there are no benefit cutbacks looming for something like the next 50 years.

Quote:
The average FICA rate could probably be reduced big-time if that were the case....
No, that won't happen. One thing that SS alarmists are right about is that the worker-retiree ratio is falling. That will preclude in general any signfiicant rate reductions unless SS funding from non-SS revenue sources were to be added in at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies