Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:20 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Anybody that says the Civil War was about slavery does not know what they are talking about. Lincoln brought that into the picture so the European nations would not come in and help the South win the war. I don't think Honest Abe was all that honest. He was playing politics.

You argue by assertion. Like Goebbels you hope that if you repeat the lie often enough and with enough vehemence that some will mistake it for truth. You use no historical examples and show no evidence of understanding the backgrounds and causes of events.

One simple question. If the rebellion was not to protect slavery why did only slave states rebel?

I've been reading on this since I was a little kid in the 1950s and read my Dad's Bruce Catton and Fletcher Pratt books. I've read thousands of books on the subject and have owned several hundred, even yet after "downsizing" I still own a couple of hundred books on the subject.

What have you read? Catton at least, everybody reads Catton.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 08-03-2008 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 07:23 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Have you ever heard of, and studied a LEGAL concept dealing with Freedom of Speech? I think not.
No argument there [same goes for free speech even if it comes from the pulpit]. The right to wave the confederate flag can never be taken away & should never be taken away [unless thru local rejection, it is taken down or at least Tampa should publicly condemn the flag [maybe it has already done this?

I may be wrong but I don't believe the swastika is banned in Germany though it is a symbol that the country is ashame of. Just like Americans are deeply ashamed of the Confederate flag.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:28 PM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
just to make it clear I don't support banning the flag all together.Private property should be up to the owner to fly it including a car.

I just don't think it is appropiate on a government building or property.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I may be wrong but I don't believe the swastika is banned in Germany though it is a symbol that the country is ashame of. Just like Americans are deeply ashamed of the Confederate flag.
Yes, the Swastika is banned in Germany

Have you ever gone to a NASCAR race?

And no city, town or government can ban the display of the Confederate Flag (or any flag) from being flown on private property

Old 08-03-2008, 07:30 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
But most importantly you lost your right to own slaves. And your right to rebel just because an election goes against you. Imagine if every state that voted against Bush decided to rebel, would that be OK?

When did you lose your right to practice your religion? What religion would that be? In what manner are you forbidden to practice it?
I grew up in a Christian environment at home, at school, while shopping. Our entire life was consumed with Christian values. Now on these threads and anywhere else you mention religion you are told it does not apply, because it is about religion. That did not come from our state government. It came from the federal government. I am basically told that my faith in God does not count and I don't have a right to talk about it. That is taking away my religious freedom and my freedom of speech. My freedom of religion does not count, but everybody elses freedom of filth does. This freedom to be as we want was taken away in the Civil War. We just recently have had it pushed down our throats. Like I said, we used to do it like we wanted to and the rest of the United States did not even know about it.

So we lost the Civil War, but we only recently became fully aware of it. Every time I have to be politically correct in my speech, it becomes more real that our freedoms are gone.

My family never owned any slaves, so giving up the right to own slaves was not a big issue with us, but the right to have prayer in school is a major issue. When prayer was taken out of the schools is when education in the United States started going downhill. The Northern States got their way and the entire United States is reaping the "rewards." Some reward, please don't do us any more favors. I for one have had enough.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, the South lost the war for states rights. We lost the right for our state to ban abortion, ban gay marriages, we lost the right to practice our religion and not be told that is illegal. We had our states rights taken away and the rest of you did too. "The South is going to rise again" has nothing to do with race. It has to do with fighting to keep all states rights that we can. That will be our battle cry until our dying breath. You can push your rules and regulations down our throats, but you cannot take away our spirit of what is good and natural.

When prayer was taken out of the schools in New York, you would think that would affect New York only, but here we are not even being able to have our graduations the way we used to. I remember when our school had devotions and the Bible was read every Friday morning in school. I memorized the 23rd Psalms in the third grade. That is the way most Southerners like it, but so many of you are moving here that we no longer get to do as we want because you didn't even know we were doing it. Oh, for the good old days.

Last year our local library could not have a Christmas tree, but they did have a display of gay books. Yes, we lost our Christian rights in the Civil War. But you can't take away our beliefs and Spirit.

Anybody that says the Civil War was about slavery does not know what they are talking about. Lincoln brought that into the picture so the European nations would not come in and help the South win the war. I don't think Honest Abe was all that honest. He was playing politics.

So we will go to the polls again in November and give you another president you don't want, because we don't want the filth of the Democratic Party. The South may not rise again in this next election, but there is always hope that it will.
Please don't get all nostalgic on us Go with the flow of human advancement & a better world [not the past, please]. I also went to grade school where we all stood & said the pledge of allegiance, sang a few patriotic songs but never prayed in school. At high school graduation there was an optional prayer service on the Sunday before graduation [that hardly anybody attended so they stopped doing it]. This was before any religious activity was barred from public schools [as it should be]. There's no place for any religion in public facilities [that is the federal law & has been for a long time Why do you persist in your rejection of the separation of church from the state? It is part of our Constitution [always has been for some 250 yrs!

Old 08-03-2008, 07:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Why do you persist in your rejection of the separation of church from the state? It is part of our Constitution [always has been for some 250 yrs!
You will not find the pharse "seperation of church and state" in the Constitution or Bill of Rights.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:40 PM

74 posts, read 138,613 times
Quote:
There's no place for any religion in public facilities [that is the federal law & has been for a long time Why do you persist in your rejection of the separation of church from the state? It is part of our Constitution [always has been for some 250 yrs!
I see you've never studied civics, there is no such amendment in the US Constitution.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I grew up in a Christian environment at home, at school, while shopping. Our entire life was consumed with Christian values. Now on these threads and anywhere else you mention religion you are told it does not apply, because it is about religion. That did not come from our state government. It came from the federal government. I am basically told that my faith in God does not count and I don't have a right to talk about it. That is taking away my religious freedom and my freedom of speech. My freedom of religion does not count, but everybody elses freedom of filth does. This freedom to be as we want was taken away in the Civil War. We just recently have had it pushed down our throats. Like I said, we used to do it like we wanted to and the rest of the United States did not even know about it.

So we lost the Civil War, but we only recently became fully aware of it. Every time I have to be politically correct in my speech, it becomes more real that our freedoms are gone.
OK I am a Christian as well , a Roman Catholic. So why don't we allow a priest to come on a public school & lead the students in praying the rosary? The rosary is a strong symbol for Catholics. How would you like it if you had to attend Mass as part of the school week?

Whether you are Christian or not, is irrelevant to the nation unless you want to embrace every religion in the world. I'm sorry but your thinking is obsolete & even offensive to Americans [you are so out of the loop, so to speak

Old 08-03-2008, 07:47 PM

"The separation of church and state is a legal and political principle derived from the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, which reads, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . ." The phrase "separation of church and state", which does not appear in the Constitution itself, is generally traced to an 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies