Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 11:08 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Not that I recall.

I am the one who said people who are not muslim should not have to give up their labor day holiday just to gain a holiday of a religion they don't subscribe to.
Actually in post #24 on this thread, you said the holiday "this year falls on a Wednesday" so I took that to mean that you perceived that the Eid al-Fitr doesn't always fall on the same day, that it is in fact linked to moon phases like many other religious holidays. Sorry for not fully understanding you.

As for people not having to give up their labor day holiday just to gain a holiday of a religion they don't subscribe to, well, Tyson's isn't forcing anyone to do that, are they? The change only applies to union members, the same people who voted to have the change made. Non-union members still get their Labor Day, don't they? If an employee who is a union member is dissatisfied with what their union negotiated, that employee can resign his union membership and celebrate Labor Day just as he/she has always done. It's not like this was Tyson's idea, they only acceded to the union's request on this point as part of the negotiations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 12:20 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You are mischaracterizing it when you say Tyson's is "pandering to a particular group which is often not looked upon favorably here." First of all, Tyson's isn't pandering to anyone. Tyson's was engaged in negotiating with the union. The UNION which presumably represents the desires of the plant's employees requested the holiday switch. Tyson's, which gives its employees eight holidays a year, doesn't care if those holidays are religious, Christian, Muslim, Martian, or made-up. Their only concern is that the holidays be sufficiently spread out not to interfere with production schedules. As for the Somali's being "not looked upon favorably", I don't know that many people who look unfavorably at a group of people who fled their war-torn country that was being devastated by violence and starvation, regardless of the religion they practice.

And if people didn't want to make the holiday switch, they could resign their union membership, because the holiday switch only applied to union members. Additionally, since the plant clearly will still be operating both days, even with a reduced workforce, it's very likely that even union members who want to observe Labor Day rather than the Muslim holiday will be able to do so.
I agree with you. I just don't get why it is a problem. The a plant at the Bethlehem Steel used to take two weeks off at Christmas in the 60s, but they changed to the summer based on a negotiation with their workers not because they hated Christmas .

Old 08-06-2008, 12:55 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,843,355 times
Quote:
People may have wanted the change for more reasons than just the religious ones. So some of the employees might have wanted to switch for reasons having nothing to do with religion.
Your right there may have been any number of reasons. It makes perfect sense that the tyson plant in shelbyville, tn, that recently absorbed a large population of muslims of which 20-80% of the employees (discrepancy between tysons figures and the unions figures ????) which may or may not be in the majority, would have other than religious reasons for trading labor day for a muslim religious holiday.

Of course its because the lakes are crowded and gas is too high and it too hot for cookouts and swimming and who wants a long weekend when they would rather work on the house and go shopping in the middle of the week, although we already had tax free weekend and summer clothes are long gone by october and so are the fall school clothes since school started the first of august, the leaves havent turned yet but i bet the gas will be way cheeper oct 1 than it was sept 1.

What was I thinking.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:03 PM

2mares, you've lost me. Too many innuendos, not enough content. Are you angry that Tyson's agreed to this at the request of the union? Or are you mad because the union requested it at the behest of their members? Or are you mad because some people from Somalia, whose country has been torn apart by famine and war, came to Shelbyville, TN to build a new life?

Old 08-06-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Nope. And I don't work for Wal-Mart. And I'm not a neo-con, or a crazy liberal. I just like to point out things in discussions like these that make the discussions more balanced and more factual.
I didnt ask if you worked for Wal-mart. I asked because of your adamant defense of Tyson and was wondering if you had any first hand experience with them or perdue.
My comments on their practices stem from living in a small town with Tyson/Perdue being the main employer and seeing their practices which makes me questions their motives. I see them pandering to certain groups of people. I have nothing against union votes, I have nothing against muslims.

You speculate on reasons a majority of redneck county folk would prefer taking a muslim religious holiday over a long labor day weekend. Whats your problem with me questioning the true no. of muslim union employees and speculating ulterior motives of a company I know not to be very honorable?

Old 08-06-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
2mares, you've lost me. Too many innuendos, not enough content. Are you angry that Tyson's agreed to this at the request of the union? Or are you mad because the union requested it at the behest of their members? Or are you mad because some people from Somalia, whose country has been torn apart by famine and war, came to Shelbyville, TN to build a new life?
DC, Im not angry. I just keep my eyes open and question. I dont know why you cant get that.

Quote:
Too many innuendos, not enough content
I guess you dont get sarcusm.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM

I don't have a problem with you finding out the number of Muslims employed at the plant or the number of Muslims represented in the union. I'm adamantly defending Tyson's because I don't see what Tyson's did that is wrong in this case. The union asked for the change of holiday, Tyson's complied. You keep on questioning why those union members would vote for that change, and you seem to be insistent that the only reason could be religion. I offered up other reasons, reasons you seem to dismiss rather cavalierly, and I inquired as to what exactly is the issue here that has you so upset. The holiday was not changed for non-union members, if union members don't like the change they can resign their union membership and celebrate Labor Day as usual. Is this untrue? You have issues with Tyson's, you don't like them. But that doesn't mean they've done anything wrong in this case.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:56 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
In case you may have missed the corrected story, there are only 250 Somali Muslims/Islamics out of the total 1200 employees at this Tyson Foods plant. The original news release was from the union and was incorrect(?). The "correct" story was released by Tyson Foods, which I find to be questionable in light of the union story. Tyson Foods has a history of false and misleading media news releases.
I agree with you...besides, the Union would have the numbers before Tyson, and their numbers would be correct, because they would have to tally the vote. Me thinks me smells something pretty fishy...

Old 08-06-2008, 05:04 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
. Me thinks me smells something pretty fishy...
It's probably those Yummy Tyson fish sticks

Old 08-06-2008, 05:06 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

Has nothing to do with their background. What it has to do with is the fact that if union members are from one nationality, and they are the majority of the Union members, then they can vote any holiday in or out if they so choose, at a bargining unit for whenever their new contract is due. Meaning, Tyson would have to agree...and then the vote would be taken.

That is the problem...and the reason for anger. I don't think anyone cares who comes to this country, as long as they become a citizen and are legal and do their fair share of becoming a working member of the community...meaning, pay their taxes, and be a productive and good citizen...and it's right for them to celebrate their holidays, if they so choose, but not to take what our American Traditions stand for away from us. That is the bottom line. And if they can do this, well, then, this is just the tip of the ice burg. We Amercian's are so trusting and so stupid...we say, sure, anyone, come in...take what you want, here, we'll even provide for your families, give you free medical care....and people are coming here in droves...

I believe the American's who have worked hard all their lives for what they have, are sick and tired of all these people getting free rides. I've worked hard, since I was 13 years old...and have paid for what I have by myself...didn't take anything from anyone...no one minds helping people out once in a while, but to actually have the nerve to live off the American public is unthinking. And because of it....we are taxed highly and loosing ground with issues as such. There will come a time, when they out number us...and believe me...they will never nuke us, b/c they want this land...big time....

And please don't use the hard life cards...we've all had hard lives...all of us, at one time or another, but we didn't ask for free hand outs...nor would we ever go to any other country in the world for a better life and EXPECT free hand outs....or expect them to adopt our holidays and expect them to give us off from work for them. We would have to abide by their rules and regulations, and holidays. We are so giving and naive.

Sorry, back to the subject at hand...

Now, I believe someone suggested that if they want to trade labor day for their muslim holiday...then that's ok...but if they literally took away Labor Day Holiday, then the American's who are the minority in that plant (if there are any) are the ones that have to suffer...and if that is true...how dare any union accept that. And quit honestly, the more I think about it, the more, I really don't believe any American Union would do such a thing? But...in the same, if they have, this is like opening a can of worms...and it will never stop...until they push their religion on us.

You couldn't go anywhere else in the world and NEVER get away with something like that....ONLY IN AMERICA

We will be our own demise...I promise you that.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 08-06-2008 at 05:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies