Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:22 AM

17,020 posts, read 12,612,245 times

Advertisements

In NJ?!? of course they still exist. A friend of a friend of a friend put it this way.

Stay out of their areas of business interest, and you likely see very little direct evidence of them. If you are nobody they dont care about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 10:44 AM

10,235 posts, read 15,949,868 times
Cjma.....hey your landlord pays taxes to the Mafia? This is the kind of stuff that I read in the news about Russia. I don't think this kind of thing occurs frequently in the U.S. outside of New York. Before you said this I didnt even think it happened in NY.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:46 AM

2,742 posts, read 7,497,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Cjma.....hey your landlord pays taxes to the Mafia? This is the kind of stuff that I read in the news about Russia. I don't think this kind of thing occurs frequently in the U.S. outside of New York. Before you said this I didnt even think it happened in NY.
trust me in almost everything you pay, their is a mafia tax on it...

Old 08-05-2008, 10:49 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,797,030 times
Is the Italian Mafia overhyped??

Having listened for close to three decades to drooling idiots describe how Italian-American politicians such as Mario Cuomo and Rudy Guiliani have "secret Mafia connections", I would have to say yes.

That is not to say they do not remain engaged in corruption and crime.

Their counterparts in Italy are much more adept at creating chaos and general mayhem.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:51 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,645,031 times
They seem to be overhyped because their strongest influence is also in the NYC metro area, America's largest media market. But in most of the country, they have little if any presence. They have no independent capability to bring up drugs through Colombia - those channels are all managed by the so-called 'Mexican Mafia,' although that term tends to encompass a number of competing independent 'cartels.'

The Italian mob simply doesn't have the manpower or will to try and take over those channels. They'd be swiftly and mercilessly annihilated on the streets of Nuevo Laredo and Tijuana.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,916,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
And you think they dont exist
Why would you direct that statement at me and where did I say that? Note that when you put a misleading statement like that in a post, it dismisses everything else you have written.

This is the problem with the Mafia - Drug trafficing destroyed them. There strongest element was "omerta" - the code of silence. When the old mafia bosses died off, so did there culture that they brought over from the mainland. The new guys started dealing in drugs for quick profit, got caught by the feds (because drugs get alot more law enforcement attention than prostitution or gambling) and turned states evidence. Turned in their own.

I repeat what I previously said - mafia has a presencse in certain big cities (New York City) and in certain niche criminal areas (gambling, labor, extortion), but no way are they the power they were in say the 50's or 60's nor will they be again.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:15 PM

Why would you direct that statement at me and where did I say that? Note that when you put a misleading statement like that in a post, it dismisses everything else you have written.
it was a simple question...

This is the problem with the Mafia - Drug trafficing destroyed them. There strongest element was "omerta" - the code of silence. When the old mafia bosses died off, so did there culture that they brought over from the mainland. The new guys started dealing in drugs for quick profit, got caught by the feds (because drugs get alot more law enforcement attention than prostitution or gambling) and turned states evidence. Turned in their own.
True, but this didnt destroyed the mafia.

I repeat what I previously said - mafia has a presencse in certain big cities (New York City) and in certain niche criminal areas (gambling, labor, extortion), but no way are they the power they were in say the 50's or 60's nor will they be again.
Trust me they have more power...
They are everything, the problem not directly.
They are stock market, credit cards, unions, in anything you can think they have their hand on. Even the russian go to them for money laundering and they tax them. You run drugs in NYC, NJ, Chicago, etc you are going to get taxed.
Oh,, and dont forget, construction.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:05 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,191,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So why is there such a heavy attention to the Italian Mafia?
Because it still exists, and it still is a problem. The fact that you're not aware of the MAFIA (Muerte Alle Francea Italiai Alia -- Lombard/Old French "Death to the French is the cry of the Italians") , or Russian, Serbian, Albanian or Israeli organized crime does not mean it does not exist.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:24 PM

Here you go,, Todays news...
A few people think that the mafia doesnt have their hands on drugs...
Well let see...
Judge orders 'Junior' Gotti held without bail - MSNBC Wire Services - MSNBC.com (broken link)
http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/ap/d7d01cf3-3913-465d-815b-1f08cdc5a20c.widec.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-05-2008, 03:45 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,437,173 times
Is the Italian Mafia overhyped??

No, they are not over hyped. The Mafia is still alive and well. They are not organized in the same way as they were in the 30's and 40's, but make no mistake that they are out there and very active.

There is a Mafia presence in Baltimore. In certain circles there is a question about them bankrolling the Fells Point revitalization project. Will it ever be proven? Who knows? Do you think that the powers that be want to know? I don't. Look at what The renewed interest in Fells Point (as well as other areas of revitalization) has done for Baltimore.

Having grown up in New Jersey and having visited Baltimore countless times, the city where my mother grew up and all of her large family still lives there, your question really makes me smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies