Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 03:36 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,016,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I know what you mean, Fiksi. I was once in Pamplona, Spain. One American tourist ran the bulls and got smashed and severily crippled. Although Pamplona has the best private hospital in Spain, he was taken to a public one. his family was horrified, because they thought that a public hospital would be like a third world place. They were even more stunned when they saw how good it was.

I believe politicians, media, etc, literally scare Americans with this UHC issue. They make them believe that they will die while on the waiting line. I pity them, because they are told to buy insurance and they do, even though the best some companies offer will not cover long-term treatments, hence lot of families go bankrupt because of these diseases.
Great posts.. what they don't realize is that they are being brain washed by propoganda that is paid for by the insurance companies that only want to keep getting richer of their dime! Oh.. and they add that cost of their propoganda and the amount they pay the politicians to keep them in their corner through their ridiculous premiums..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 03:37 PM

418 posts, read 564,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Fortunately for America there are 50 States. Each State would be responsible for the day to day running of its health system. There would be a Primary Care Trust in each state to monitor the system. This would be run by a board of delegates from the medical field, administration experts and the public. The Govt. would finance through tax. The PCT, could also obtain more funding by hiring out facilities to private health, etc. The local G.P's would work hand in hand with the Hospitals.
I agree 100%. But you have to admit that, with level of corruption and corporatism in US fed govt(were it present everywhere else), none of social/education etc systems in other western nations could run.

US govt has little responsibilities, and that it does very badly. Others have far more, yet they manage somehow.

State by state system decentralisation is a good idea.

Ther is a big difference between "run by people for people", or "by corporations for corporations".

Old 08-09-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I know about the treatments VERY well, Avonex, Betaseron, Copaxone, Rebif, and Tysabri are the only approved treatments for various forms of MS. During a flare they treat you with steroids to help stop the flare before it gets too bad. I have been in contact with many people in Canada, and the UK, and until recently they had a choice of 2 of the drugs, Avonex and Betasron, both are based off of the same thing, and act similar, if you do not respond well to them you were out of luck. I personally am on Copaxone which is 1800.00 per month for my supply of shots, I pay 75.00 of that total cost.

I am not saying our system is fine, but the UHS is NOT the answer, the countries that are using are going broke, the country's like Japan are loosing hospitals at an alarming rate due to going broke. the UK's system is slowly moving more toward a capitalist system as the government is unable to control the costs very well, or the wait times.

Noahom.. I get your post.. BUT.. and here's the big but.. you still get the SAME resistance to treatments here.. especially if they are expirimental or NEw.. even if the NEW treatment is FDA approved.. I know.. I've come face to face with getting mine approved and even though the treatment was FDA approved it still met with much resistance....

And it's even WORSE with our health insurance

Old 08-09-2008, 03:42 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,852,792 times
I don't know what the profits from the Lottery ib the USA is used for but it could be used to help finance the Health System. People paying for the peoples lottery.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
So - you are taking the freedom of choice away from people - gotcha

Would you cap doctors incomes?

I suppose.. just like SS , that if a person can prove they have enough assets to pay for their own major medical issues WITHOUT going bankript.. cover cancer treatments or drugs should they get sick.. then they can opt out of the service.. just like you do SS..

But most won't.. why? The rich need to protect their assets..so they will take the UHI and get exactly what they need wihtout having to pay for it themselves.. and if they want a little "extra" they can go right ahead and supplement with private.

As for the poor.. they already have free healthcare.. and the working class will be taxed just like they are for SS..because everyone needs medical insurance.. because if they don't have it the rest of us end up paying for it in higher costs to make up the loss for someone else's inability to pay for services renderd.

And as for capping salaries..isn't everyones to some extent.. A janitor will never make $200K a year! neither willl a secretary or a store clerk. The only people who's income isn't truly "capped" are those that buy properties, stockes etc and are entrepeneurs.. so that argument is just plain silly..

Dr's make nice money what they are doing.. but their Doctor job only takes their wealth to a certain point.. they get wealthy by taking that earned income and investing it into something else that makes them more money .. etc. It's the case with most in a profession.. any profession.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I don't know what the profits from the Lottery ib the USA is used for but it could be used to help finance the Health System. People paying for the peoples lottery.
If I'm not mistaken it's supposed to go to education.. each state's lottery may be diffferent.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:58 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,422,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Great posts.. what they don't realize is that they are being brain washed by propoganda that is paid for by the insurance companies that only want to keep getting richer of their dime! Oh.. and they add that cost of their propoganda and the amount they pay the politicians to keep them in their corner through their ridiculous premiums..
the insurance companies are not getting rich of my dime, they are loosing money. I still do not want UHC

Old 08-09-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
the insurance companies are not getting rich of my dime, they are loosing money. I still do not want UHC
I suppose I could argue the same thing..because I happen to use my insurance alot ..

But a lot of what I pay for is BS. .. like the ridiculous Admin costs, the costs for their lobbying , the big fat cat CEO salaries and bonuses! Skim the fat and we all could be paying ALOT less or get more for our money.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Noahom.. I get your post.. BUT.. and here's the big but.. you still get the SAME resistance to treatments here.. especially if they are expirimental or NEw.. even if the NEW treatment is FDA approved.. I know.. I've come face to face with getting mine approved and even though the treatment was FDA approved it still met with much resistance....

And it's even WORSE with our health insurance
my insurance company never questioned, never gave any pain to get me on treatment. I was approved and on medication within a few days of being diagnosed. there are quite a few insurance companies that will pay for the treatment that are in testing, Fliimgoid is one that quite a few insurance companies are paying for. it is due for approval within the next few years.

the Medicare plan on the other hand has given many in my situation plenty to worry about including covering 30% of the cost of the treatment, this is absolutely imposable to do with some that are on disability which only pays a few hundred per month, so if you cannot work, you have to choose to eat or pay the copay that the government wants you to pay through Medicare to get treatment.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I suppose I could argue the same thing..because I happen to use my insurance alot ..

But a lot of what I pay for is BS. .. like the ridiculous Admin costs, the costs for their lobbying , the big fat cat CEO salaries and bonuses! Skim the fat and we all could be paying ALOT less or get more for our money.
and there is your answer, maybe a bit more government oversight on some of this stuff instead of having the government be in control and pulling the strings of everyones health
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies