Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:33 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times

Advertisements

Gas prices and oil barrels are in a downward direct for a short period of time. After the elections you can figure that the price will be going back up again. IMO we need to forget about oil for energy and move on to green renewable energies. You already know that this will take time to accomplish even if we drill for oil ~ you won’t see it for years from now at the pump. But something needs to be done and going green is my chosen direction. That being said,,,,, I continue to hear the voices saying “drill here drill now” with the idea that oil will be at the pump tomorrow. Forget it. The American oil industry doesn’t want more oil on the market – it would bring down the price at the pump for them.

Now if you continue to want this “drill here drill now” and they (the oil industry) just can’t do it unless it’s that area under water. Then we have a solution that can be used. Our government provided areas for the oil industry to drill in ~ they say no to that and want more area off shore for drilling. This is a problem that will go away if the government provides contracts to China and allow their oil corporations to come into America and drill for oil where no American oil company will. The US government already has many contracts for services with foreign industries; security and management of our seaports is just one of them. If it’s ok that the Arab corporation monitors our ports then why not allow Chinese oil corporations to drill in those areas that the government has already set aside for oil explorations. We could get cheap low priced Chinese drilling and may as well allow them to build refineries too. Seems American oil corporations won’t build new refineries maybe the Chinese will and they’d build them cheaper and at a lower cost to the consumers.

Again,,,, I don’t want oil drilling and would prefer to go with alternative energy but for those who just have to have that black gold ~ do it cheaply give a contract to foreign corporations instead of these greedy $400 million CEO companies here in the states. How cheap can China or Venezuela oil corporations “drill here drill now” do it for?

It’s time to stop the multiple BILLION dollar corporate oil profits and move to clean renewable energy. “Do it here do it now!”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 PM

54 posts, read 156,102 times
Can you provide some links and information on renewable resources that we can depend on for many decades to come?

Anything that will allow us to wean us off Oil.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:38 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
If it was announced that they were going to start drilling, it would absolutely impact the price at the pump.

The recent run-up on oil prices was driven by speculators. Commodity speculators make their decisions based on what they believe the supply and demand will be - in the future.

An announcement about new drilling would indicate to the speculators that there will be - in the future - more oil being supplied to the market. This would have the impact of lowering the price of oil - immediately.

I really don't understand why more people don't understand this.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:01 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

I really don't understand why more people don't understand this.
Lol, me neither. Also, it seems like every week that goes by the anti-drill crowd adds a couple of years to how long it would take to actually put oil on the market if we opened everything up. It started off that it would not help for AT LEAST 3-5 years. Now I keep hearing its gonna take 30 years AT LEAST for any new drilling to impact prices at the pump. MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 08-11-2008 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: language

Old 08-11-2008, 04:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Now if you continue to want this “drill here drill now” and they (the oil industry) just can’t do it unless it’s that area under water. Then we have a solution that can be used. Our government provided areas for the oil industry to drill in ~ they say no to that and want more area off shore for drilling.
The appropriate question is "Why? Why do the want to drill off-shore?"

But to ask the question, one needs to have more than just a 2 year old child's understanding of oil.

Neither the US nor the world needs more heavy oil, which is what is in ANWR and the NPRA.

What the US and the world needs, is more light oil.

There is light oil in the Gulf of Mexico. Exxon-Mobil is pumping it now, and has been for years. It's a high sulfur light oil (Trade Name: Louisiana Sour).

There's only one refinery in the US that can refine light sour, and that's Exxon-Mobil's facility at Pascagoula, Mississippi.

The odds are that the deep water Gulf has light or at least a light intermediate grade oil, though probably a high sulfur (sour) oil since everything between mid-Texas and Florida is high sulfur (West Texas Intermediate crude is low sulfur and cheaper to refine).

Since you can't run a deep water pipeline (crush depth), you have to use mini-tankers (3-4 year construction time and at least 4 per platform) plus expand port facilities to handle more tankers. And build more light sour refineries (14-17 years) or modify light sweet refineries to hand light sour (1-3 years). Of course shutting down those light sweet oil refineries that produce gasoline (not all do) would create a gasoline shortage and drive prices up for the short to intermediate term.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:56 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Our government provided areas for the oil industry to drill in ~ they say no to that and want more area off shore for drilling.
One more thing related to that. The Bakken Oil Formations are also light oil, but it's worthless because the specific gravity for most of the oil is 40. That's way too high. You can't do anything with it except produce some chemicals.

Some of the Bakken Formations have a 37 API, which is about perfect for light oil. If you could blend it (create a blend like Brent, Russian or Murban) and get the API down to the 35-37 range like Arab 35 or Arab 37 (from Saudi Arabia) then it would be useful.

Outside of that, the oil companies have no reason to drill there either, especially since its a measly amount of oil.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:57 PM

658 posts, read 831,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Life View Post
Can you provide some links and information on renewable resources that we can depend on for many decades to come?

I run my home off mini hydro turbines 24/7. No grid power. No natural resources expended.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:04 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Lightbulb don't need links ~ look outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Life View Post

I’d say that you can depend on renewable resources ~ if the sun isn’t shining tomorrow or the wind isn’t blowing then there really isn’t any further need for any energy. Seems the world will always have renewable, if not ~ then life as you know it won’t matter, would it?

Continue to use oil and there may not be a clean planet worth living on! Then it wouldn’t matter if we used renewable energy resources or not I guess.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:45 PM

54 posts, read 156,102 times
Quote:
I’d say that you can depend on renewable resources ~ if the sun isn’t shining tomorrow or the wind isn’t blowing then there really isn’t any further need for any energy. Seems the world will always have renewable, if not ~ then life as you know it won’t matter, would it?

Continue to use oil and there may not be a clean planet worth living on! Then it wouldn’t matter if we used renewable energy resources or not I guess.
And, how are we going to get our cars running on wind or solar?

Are we going to pretend to be pirates and let the wind take us where we need to go? Or are we going to need to have solar panels on every [outside] surface of our car? And, when it's cloudy outside are we going to think twice about leaving the house in fear of running out of car-energy?

To me, that seems like a stupid downgrade. And, god knows the price of sails or solar panels on the cars.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:04 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
The way I see it, most of the problems in the world are due to the cozy protectionist relationship that our government has with big energy.
Our mideastern involvement would be much less without these vampires, sucking the life from our country.
Pollution and global warming and all the health issues surrounding these would be much less if we had sunk more dollars into R&D for alternates.

This is a national crisis, and we should not allow ourselves to be pushed into a corner by big energy until, they will say, our only immediate solution is a polluting fuel.
The heck with them! We've been manipulated enough by these tactics.

And the heck with T-Bone Puckins, who is probably just looking for more income from investments into natural gas. God, the man is a hedge fund manager who made most of his money in oil. Do you think he will come up with a scheme that would not line his pockets? He sees which way the wind is blowing and is only trying to move it in his direction.

We are STILL giving these oil leeches subsidies from our tax dollars, while paying them huge profits.

If that tidy relationship had not existed, by now we would be well on our way using non-polluting alternates.
Should we continue to reward them now? I think not!

I would never vote to give them a penny further of our money, had I the chance.

Nothing polluting.
Nothing they can bill us regularly on, to maintain their exorbitant income stream.

Countries surpassing us in the use of alternates:
Germany, Spain, Holland, Iceland, France, Denmark, Finland
Greece, Hungary, Italy, Ireland.

Wind (there are now windmills - unlike the ones TBONE shows us - that do not kill birds and are much more effective than TBONE's).
Wave
Solar
Geothermal

Unfortunately, we will probably have to pay other countries for these technologies since so much of our money has been gonzo to the Bush (endorsed by McSame/McCain).

So, NO drilling, and NO polluting fuels, please.
It is a time in our history when we have to take a stand. No more. The planet itself is being threatened, and we are wondering if we should be doing more of the same.

Where is our backbone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies