Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:14 AM

146 posts, read 641,470 times

Advertisements

The Company I work for has sent me to China on business a few times now and I have just one word. WOW!

One only has to visit there and see how hard people work, the intelligence of the people, the efficency, the can do attitude and how fast things get done and built to see America is in serious trouble.

In Chinese Schools the kids pay attention and the teacher is GOD. They perform academically so much better than us.

If the government wants to build a bridge, a highway or factory it is completed in half the time than it would take in America. Here in Oregon a new freeway or bridge would take years of study and lawsuits.

The people in China are more disciplined and optimistic about life and the future of their country.

Their infrastructure and systems are still behind us but catching up at warp speed. Human Rights and pollution are terrible but within 20 years we will be passed by and eating the dust.

Our system is better for somethings but kill us in economic competition with China. Do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 08:25 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
The Company I work for has sent me to China on business a few times now and I have just one word. WOW!

One only has to visit there and see how hard people work, the intelligence of the people, the efficency, the can do attitude and how fast things get done and built to see America is in serious trouble.

In Chinese Schools the kids pay attention and the teacher is GOD. They perform academically so much better than us.

If the government wants to build a bridge, a highway or factory it is completed in half the time than it would take in America. Here in Oregon a new freeway or bridge would take years of study and lawsuits.

The people in China are more disciplined and optimistic about life and the future of their country.

Their infrastructure and systems are still behind us but catching up at warp speed. Human Rights and pollution are terrible but within 20 years we will be passed by and eating the dust.

Our system is better for somethings but kill us in economic competition with China. Do you agree?

China has been around for 1000's of years before christ....long before the US......So why aren't they the world leader then if they are built like robots?

You should do more research. They aren't even working on their pollution problem seriously.

Also wile your there make sure they know the dangers of lead.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 AM

146 posts, read 641,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
China has been around for 1000's of years before christ....long before the US......So why aren't they the world leader then if they are built like robots?

You should do more research. They aren't even working on their pollution problem seriously.

Also wile your there make sure they know the dangers of lead.
Some countries have their day in the sun at different times based on political and social realities. Look at Korea and Singapore. Just 40 years ago they were poverty stricken and things looked hopeless, now they are booming. Now is the time for China to boom and America to die.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:48 AM

350 posts, read 653,550 times
I agree with you, Oregon. China will soon be the new superpower, and the power of the US will wane. As has been said before, about a different entity, "The Empire, it is finished..."

Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,055 times
You guys seemed pleased about this possibility.

Why would America be in "serious trouble"? Sure, I can see a situation where China becomes the superpower and America becomes #2, but it's not like America will cease to exist. You hoping for a communist takeover?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:11 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,148 times
China has come to power so fast because they have been gobbling up their resources at an alarming rate... faster than the replenishables can replenish. Their pollution is a very big issue... and I am as far from an environmentalist as it gets. Oh and education wise... they have some of the worst engineers on the face of this planet... they refuse to think things through, sort of like the Three Gorges dam and pretty much any piece of machinery they make... ridiculous. I think their "day in the sun" won't even be a full day if they continue things at "warp speed".

Old 08-13-2008, 09:30 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,968,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
You guys seemed pleased about this possibility.

Why would America be in "serious trouble"? Sure, I can see a situation where China becomes the superpower and America becomes #2, but it's not like America will cease to exist. You hoping for a communist takeover?
Why must assertions on China superceding the US economically be interpreted with strawman arguments such as "you like hearing that", etc? Just nationalistic verbal diarrhea IMHO.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,968,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
China has come to power so fast because they have been gobbling up their resources at an alarming rate... faster than the replenishables can replenish. Their pollution is a very big issue... and I am as far from an environmentalist as it gets. Oh and education wise... they have some of the worst engineers on the face of this planet... they refuse to think things through, sort of like the Three Gorges dam and pretty much any piece of machinery they make... ridiculous. I think their "day in the sun" won't even be a full day if they continue things at "warp speed".
It's true their true ingenuity is dwarfed by the US, Japan, and others.

However, they've raised the bar on capitalistic progress and productive capacity. That alone will make them much much wealthier down the road.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:41 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
It's true their true ingenuity is dwarfed by the US, Japan, and others.

However, they've raised the bar on capitalistic progress and productive capacity. That alone will make them much much wealthier down the road.
High productive capacity is achievable by anyone if bar for quality standards is lowered which is exactly what the chinese have done. China has taken the quantity not quality route, they choose to consume and gobble up everything in sight to build it cheap and fast rather than try to make as much money off a product by investing in high quality designs... I truthfully cannot think of one quality chinese product... maybe some authentic chinese glassware made high up in the mountains or something.... anything that comes out of their factories is garbage. This quick buck they are making is...well... quick!

Capitalistic progress is a necessity for them to provide for their productive capacity...

Old 08-13-2008, 09:54 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Some countries have their day in the sun at different times based on political and social realities. Look at Korea and Singapore. Just 40 years ago they were poverty stricken and things looked hopeless, now they are booming. Now is the time for China to boom and America to die.
This sums of my feelings as well. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it, but it is what it is (or will be..).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies