Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:48 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times

Advertisements

Global systemic crisis / September 2008 - Phase of collapse of US real economy

Is the U.S. economy getting ready to crash ? What do you think ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 04:28 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post

massive deflation followed by hyperinflation

Cash becomes king for a small amount of time (now perhaps?), then as people are literally starving on the streets, the gobbermint starts on its endless physical printing of money to dole out, marking a Newer Deal that'll make the dollar worth toilet paper. Probably worse than toilet paper because it's got that sandpaper feel

All prices will crash in relationship to real money (gold). You will be able to get an extraordinary amount of house in exchange for selling a much smaller amount of the mellow yellow (or silver).

The government will of course step in nationalizing farmland and try to seize gold. They will succeed with the former but the latter will fail miserably. Who would tell the government they have gold? Plus I've never known a gold sniffing dog

Oh yeah, I forgot about the trillions of dollars held by foreigners that'll be spent and recirculated, driving prices of basic necessities to Pluto.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:52 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Time to look for some buying opportunities.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:57 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,962 times
Default ***

I have a feeling many of us will be tested for our perseverance.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:16 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
massive deflation followed by hyperinflation

Cash becomes king for a small amount of time (now perhaps?), then as people are literally starving on the streets, the gobbermint starts on its endless physical printing of money to dole out, marking a Newer Deal that'll make the dollar worth toilet paper. Probably worse than toilet paper because it's got that sandpaper feel

All prices will crash in relationship to real money (gold). You will be able to get an extraordinary amount of house in exchange for selling a much smaller amount of the mellow yellow (or silver).

The government will of course step in nationalizing farmland and try to seize gold. They will succeed with the former but the latter will fail miserably. Who would tell the government they have gold? Plus I've never known a gold sniffing dog

Oh yeah, I forgot about the trillions of dollars held by foreigners that'll be spent and recirculated, driving prices of basic necessities to Pluto.
Yes! The sky is falling! Then we'll be in concentration camps! New World Order! Ahhhhh!!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:26 PM

194 posts, read 325,725 times
I think that the people who hoarded gold at nearly $1,000 per ounce are currently crapping their pants, either that or they or they own shares in a metal detector manufacturing company.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:31 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:

Yup...looks like a depression is just around the corner. Oil is dropping like a stone, the dollar is hitting 2 year highs against the GBP, and gaining against the Euro and Canadian dollar. Looks like signs of a global meltdown.

"NEW YORK 8/15/08 - The dollar climbed against the euro and pound Friday amid hopeful signals on the U.S. economy and falling oil prices"

On a serious note, inflation hit a 17 year high, but as the fed raises the funds rate, you will see the dollar pick up more steam, and more investment will move back to the US and the dollar. That will be good for the economy in the short term and as oil drops inflation will ease. Inflation dropping and lower energy costs will be good for consumers, who will have a stronger dollar on their side.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:

You can ignore anything Leap 2020 says. Their accuracy rating is worse than Nostrildamus. At least he got one "prophecy" right.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:41 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
GEAB...another example of internet junk-mail. I'd put as much faith in the Astrology section of my local newspaper...

Old 08-16-2008, 08:14 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Yes! The sky is falling! Then we'll be in concentration camps! New World Order! Ahhhhh!!!!
Whoa, relax there sparky. No need to get out your tin foil hat. The world isn't going to end. Nowhere close. It'll just feel that way for most Americans. Did I suffer from dot bomb? Not a single bit. Do I suffer from the real estate ponzi scheme collapsing? Quite the contrary with my shorting CMOs, Beazer stock and financials and buying commodities and gold years back. Now, what about some ******* who bought a house in Sunny CA just 2 years ago? Kind of feels like the sky is falling for them, don't it?

See, it's all a matter of perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies