Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 07:22 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
BOSTON - The gay marriage fight in Massachusetts might not be over after all.
Opponents of same-sex marriages are seeking a ballot question that would prevent gay and lesbian couples from getting married here if their union wouldn't be legal in their home state.
Brian Camenker of the group Mass Resistance said Friday lawmakers and Gov. Deval Patrick bowed to the will of the "gay lobby" last month by approving the repeal of a 1913 statute that banned such marriages.
This should get interesting, especially in a Presidential election year.

Gay marriage opponents seek to reverse new law - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 10:55 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
This should get interesting, especially in a Presidential election year.

Gay marriage opponents seek to reverse new law - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Nah...it's Massachusetts. As a former resident of 15 years, the ballot question won't pass, and that's probably fine. I personally think it's much adoo about nothing.

The real issue to be debated is the original decision of the Supreme Judicial Court, where a few unelected and activist judges found rights not exposed in the state's Constitution, in order to further their personal social and political views. You may believe that gay marriage is good and should be allowed, but then the way to do that is to introduce legislation and pass it, and then have the Governor sign it. Inventing rights in the Constitution isn't the way.

I personally think that there are many more important issues to be spending time thinking about, but at least if there is a vote in the legislature or by ballot question, it's being done the right way.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Nah...it's Massachusetts. As a former resident of 15 years, the ballot question won't pass, and that's probably fine. I personally think it's much adoo about nothing.

The real issue to be debated is the original decision of the Supreme Judicial Court, where a few unelected and activist judges found rights not exposed in the state's Constitution, in order to further their personal social and political views. You may believe that gay marriage is good and should be allowed, but then the way to do that is to introduce legislation and pass it, and then have the Governor sign it. Inventing rights in the Constitution isn't the way.

I personally think that there are many more important issues to be spending time thinking about, but at least if there is a vote in the legislature or by ballot question, it's being done the right way.
Personally, I do not support gay marriage, but I do support civil unions and granting gays the assets and liabilities of marriage. I'm throughly disgusted with judicial legislation from the bench. That's why there are three branches of government; The Executive Branch overseas the operation of government, the Legislative Branch introduces and determines legislation and the Judaical Branch enforces the laws that are enabled by the Legislative Branch. There is now a "blurring" between the branches of government and the Judaical Branch has now usurped some of the functions of the the Legislative and Executive Branches.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:42 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,752,210 times
Oh for crying out loud.

Gay people have just as much right to be miserable as the rest of us.

Leave them alone, let them marry. Why does anybody care what two consenting adults do with their love lives?

Trust me, marriage ain't all it's cracked up to be......

Old 08-16-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Oh for crying out loud.

Gay people have just as much right to be miserable as the rest of us.

Leave them alone, let them marry. Why does anybody care what two consenting adults do with their love lives?

Trust me, marriage ain't all it's cracked up to be......
Tell me about it! I've been divorced 17 years after being married for 24 years! No do-overs!

Old 08-16-2008, 01:29 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,613,866 times
I believe the "watershed" event of both Massachusetts & California voting down anti-gay marriage initiatives will be the turning point on this issue for the rest of the country. Gay marriage is legal in 2 states [that right won't be easy to take away & the Republicans will find themselves with one less issue to promote their hate.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:34 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,752,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I believe the "watershed" event of both Massachusetts & California voting down anti-gay marriage initiatives will be the turning point on this issue for the rest of the country. Gay marriage is legal in 2 states [that right won't be easy to take away & the Republicans will find themselves with one less issue to promote their hate.
Believe it or not, a substantial number of Republicans don't consider gay marriage to be that big of deal.

You should really learn to differentiate between mainstream, moderate Republicans and the more radical religious right.

Being a Republican does not automatically flip the anti-gay switch in a person's brain.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:08 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Disapproving of homosexual "marriage" does not automatically equal "hate."

Old 08-16-2008, 02:20 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Personally, I do not support gay marriage, but I do support civil unions and granting gays the assets and liabilities of marriage. I'm throughly disgusted with judicial legislation from the bench. That's why there are three branches of government; The Executive Branch overseas the operation of government, the Legislative Branch introduces and determines legislation and the Judaical Branch enforces the laws that are enabled by the Legislative Branch. There is now a "blurring" between the branches of government and the Judaical Branch has now usurped some of the functions of the the Legislative and Executive Branches.

wrong! the judicial branch's role is to determine the constitutionality of laws enacted by the legislature or the executive branch. the executive branch's role is to enforce laws, not for the judicial branch to do. if your way were true, then why did it take so long for brown v board of education to be enforced? it's because the executive/legislative branches took their sweet time to enforce and legislate. if the judicial branch had the power to enforce as you say, then racial segregation in the schools would have disappeared in 1955, immediately after the ruling in 1954.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I presume that you're a Dumbocrat and you'll be voting for Nobama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies