Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:35 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,351,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Oh, I've not questioned your right to express an opinion. I've merely exercised my right to illustrate how obtuse and poorly-formed that opinion happens to be.
Funny. I consistently say much the same thing to proponents of the ACLU and its propensity for representing the perverse, the deranged, and the malignant. (Except that I substitute "mentally ill" and "criminal" for "obtuse" and "poorly-formed" -- because heaven knows there is no shortage of clever wordsmiths in the service of the vermin whom the ACLU find so intellectually congenial...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Well, you do seem rather vague and unfamiliar with it. Your right of free exercise is an individual right...just like everyone else's. That right comes to an abrupt end at the tips of your fingers. You MAY NOT reach out and touch anyone else with whatever silly beliefs you might choose to take up for yourself.
Nor may NAMBLA. Here's hoping for multiple amputations of their digits.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Pure piffle and unfettered folderol. When was the last time the ACLU or anyone else attempted to gag the voices of those who oppose the views of NAMBLA? NAMBLA advocates for the repeal of age-of-consent laws on the grounds that they are discriminatory against minors. You are free to speak in opposition to that advocacy. If anyone tries to abridge or limit your right to speech for such purposes, you know who to call. The ACLU...
Yes, there is nothing more discriminatory than laws protecting children against sex with horny old men.

Out of sheer decency, it would seem incumbent upon the ACLU not to touch this issue with a ten-foot pole, and certainly not to advocate for those who would express such disgusting views. That presupposes the existence of decency on the part of the ACLU and its supporters, of course...

Old 08-20-2008, 09:46 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,991,400 times
They do it out of sheer principle. Legal speech is protected in America. You don't get to decide who gets free speech and who doesn't.

Why is this so hard to understand?

God Bless America! Are there any true Conservatives left in this country?

Old 08-20-2008, 12:11 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,495,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
They do it out of sheer principle. Legal speech is protected in America. You don't get to decide who gets free speech and who doesn't. Why is this so hard to understand?
I don't think it's the understanding part that is the problem at all. It's the actual right of free speech itself that these authoritarian huffers wish to abrogate, and it's hardly the only one. Flag-wavers and soldier-song singers till the cows come home, they have remarkably little love or affinity for the actual principles upon which the country is founded.

Quote:
In light of the above, perhaps no. Perhaps the job of being a true Conservative has been abandoned. The ice man no longer cometh..nor the milkman. It may be coming down to the rest of us versus the devoutly self-centered and self-serving...

Old 08-20-2008, 12:24 PM

350 posts, read 654,137 times
Quote:
Ambitions for religious exclusivity and superiority to be achieved through the agency of the state and a trampling of the law of the land. Pretty simple.
Well, if we were or ever had been a theocracy, I could understand such an ambition, but to me, it goes against all the US stands for and is what many came here to escape from.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:49 PM

There are certainly those today who would look upon the absence of a US theocracy over all these years as having been an opportunity missed. Today, of course, is not the first time that those of such an opinion have come to raise a voice, and there are at least some signs that their current voice is fading. Still in all, there will likely be some time yet in which the more sane and sober among us will need to deal with at least the rag-tag remnants of the rapturists...

Old 08-20-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
They do it out of sheer principle. Legal speech is protected in America. You don't get to decide who gets free speech and who doesn't.

Why is this so hard to understand?

No one is disputing the rights of free speech, when such speech does not incite or encourages criminal acts.

Some people, however, value the ability to determine when speech is of value and when it is not, and the concomitant necessity to support the former and eschew the latter.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
No one is disputing the rights of free speech, when such speech does not incite or encourages criminal acts.
There is nothing criminal about advocating for the repeal of age-of-consent laws. People advocate for the repeal of this law or that all the time. Sometimes, such advocacy actually works. Despite hollow professions to the contrary, you are seeking to silence speech simply because you don't care for it. To do so is to disrespect America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Some people, however, value the ability to determine when speech is of value and when it is not, and the concomitant necessity to support the former and eschew the latter.
Every listener has the right to evaluate and decide upon the worthiness of speech. All are free to accept, reject, or reserve judgement on what they hear. None has the right to silence the speaker.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
There is nothing criminal about advocating for the repeal of age-of-consent laws. People advocate for the repeal of this law or that all the time. Sometimes, such advocacy actually works. Despite hollow professions to the contrary, you are seeking to silence speech simply because you don't care for it. To do so is to disrespect America.
I seek to silence no one. That's your bag, not mine. You may be thinking of another poster.

Quote:
Every listener has the right to evaluate and decide upon the worthiness of speech. All are free to accept, reject, or reserve judgement on what they hear. None has the right to silence the speaker.
Thank you for restating my thought. I assure you, however, that if anyone from NAMBLA attempts to make a point concering its right to bugger children in a conversation with me, it will be sorry it did so. I don't intend to silence it. I do sincerely intend, however, that any ensuing sounds issued by it will comprise a modified form of speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies