Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 03:44 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Let's be clear - most (not all) pro life advocates have even made the "exception" for rape or incest.

As another mentioned - the number of abortions due to rape or incest is relatively small compared to the number who choose abortion as a matter of "convenience".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 03:56 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
This probably wouldn't be an option in most of the Congo (or maybe for minors/incest), but we do have a "morning after" pill here that we offer all the rape victims that come through our ED. That would obviate the need for an abortion down the road.

Does it have to be an all-or-nothing scenerio? Can't we decide based on medical necessity, rape, etc?

With the pill, condoms, IUDs, depo shots, and a woman's choice not to have sex in the first place (hard to get pregnant if you just don't have sex), using abortion as a means of family planning is just messed up.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:16 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
It's really unfortunate that the abortion argument always has the same tired logic and comments.

It might not be as big of a "problem" if women like me, that didn't want children, could easily get our tubes tied/sterilized.

However, I've read several stories about how difficult it is for a woman to convince a doctor to perform the procedure if they're "too young" and don't have 3 or 4 kids already.

But, once again, it's always the woman's fault for wanting to have sex... even if they are married and the couple has decided to not have kids, and perhaps their precautions failed for whatever reason.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:20 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Don't expect an obviously anti-choice male to feel empathy for those poor women and girls. Zygotes are infinitely more important than the vessels that bear them. After all, they might give birth to a boy!
I don't know a single pro-lifer who thinks the baby is more important than the mother. That's just an inflammatory line that the abortion-rights movement keeps hauling out. The pro-lifer simply believes that the child has as much of a right to life as his or her mother did. That's all.

And before you jump to conclusions, I'm not about to tell a woman she has to carry any child to term. I'm a vegetarian, but I don't expect other people to stop eating meat -- and it's the same deal with abortion. I might wish people would make more thoughtful, compassionate choices, but at the end of the day, it's none of my business. I have to live with my conscience, and you have to live with yours.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:30 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
[quote=prim2007;4897141]I just watched this 60 Minutes segment on women and girls in Congo who are viciously raped. In some areas, 90% of women/girls are raped and many become pregnant. I can't help but think about if that were me or my daughter, sister or anyone I knew. I can't imagine that I would force my teenage daughter to have the baby after being gang raped several times over and emotionally/mentally distaught. Some of these girls are so badly raped, they can no longer control their bodily functions but pro life advocates would force them to have the baby? I'm not an advocate of using abortion like birth control but I can't get past situations that involve rape or incest and I want to know why you (as a pro life advocate) whould force me to carry a child to term and relive that horrendous part of my life over and over again. For men who are pro life, if this is your wife, and they were brutally raped, you would focus on her having the child? Would this change if she were raped by someone different from your race (and you couldn't hide the secret) ? Don't give me the pan speech but imagine if this happened tomorrow. Be honest in your very soul. I really believe some of you would struggle yet you seem unsympathetic to the actual victim. What about the child who may learn they were the child of rape. I can't imagine how that knowledge would affect me even if I learned it as an adult. As a kid, I'd probably be suicidal. What if as a child you feel you are treated differently by your parent(s) but don't know why or why you even look different and the kids tease you. How about the ones who grow up in foster care or an orphanage. This is what a pro life advocate wishes for the victim and child?

Here's the video, it will make you cringe.

War Against Women Video - CBSNews.com[/quo

What is happening in the Congo where rape is being used as a means of warfare is horrific, and yet we as a nation stand by and do nothing. The UN stands by and does nothing. And yet you are pissed at the US prolife movement because they would hypothetically be against abortions for these women? How does that make sense?
Anyways, in the US rape victims are routinely offered the morning after pill 'just in case'....I don't believe that there would be many prolifers who would be against that.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:38 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let's be clear - most (not all) pro life advocates have even made the "exception" for rape or incest.

As another mentioned - the number of abortions due to rape or incest is relatively small compared to the number who choose abortion as a matter of "convenience".
Rape/incest are still significantly under-reported so how do we really know how insignifcant this is?

Old 08-18-2008, 07:38 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
There is a significant number of women who have attempted suicide following their abortions too.
Really? Where are your statistics backing that up? And not this "Post Abortion Syndrome" nonsense - a medical source.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...ull/118/3/e669
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/he...=1&oref=slogin
http://www.apa.org/monitor/2008/06/research.html
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten...ct/248/4951/41
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15985924

Last edited by newtoli; 08-18-2008 at 07:54 AM..

Old 08-18-2008, 07:40 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

But we are discussing the small number of abortions that are performed due to rape. OP wanted the pro-life take on whether or not there should be an exception due to rape, and it seems many people think there should not be.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:53 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,292,818 times
[quote=camping!;4900043]
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
What is happening in the Congo where rape is being used as a means of warfare is horrific, and yet we as a nation stand by and do nothing. The UN stands by and does nothing. And yet you are pissed at the US prolife movement because they would hypothetically be against abortions for these women? How does that make sense?
Anyways, in the US rape victims are routinely offered the morning after pill 'just in case'....I don't believe that there would be many prolifers who would be against that.
You missed the point all together so maybe you should read the whole thread and post later. By the way, more than 1/2 a million chidren are in the foster case system, how many have you stepped up to adopt/support? Everyone talks like all children can easily be adopted so why are there thousands waiting? Why are most of the jail systems filled with adults who were abandoned and abused children. Yeah, you can say there is a waiting list for couples but that's because they want perfect looking kids (in many cases white) with no health or potential emotional issues. I tell you what, let's make sure men who leave the women and refuse to step up finacially and be a part of the child's life, be subject to a minimum 10 years in prison or maybe they get the death penalty as well for contributing to the "murder" of a child. Afterall, many of these abortions would not occur if there was a solid support system in place which usually involves the male owning up to his responsibility.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:07 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
OK, all you anti-choice people....

....how do you propose to end abortions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies