Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 12:06 PM

542 posts, read 1,684,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let's be clear - most (not all) pro life advocates have even made the "exception" for rape or incest.

As another mentioned - the number of abortions due to rape or incest is relatively small compared to the number who choose abortion as a matter of "convenience".
How does anyone really know this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 12:12 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
How does anyone really know this?
I agree. I would like to see the person who posted this to back it up with some believeable data.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Two arms, legs, eyes, ears, brain waves, heartbeat and feels pain;100% human DNA, both parents are human, yet it's not a human. Okay.
I'd like to see a funeral for any 6- to 12-week embryo/fetus (typical gestational development for most abortions) that was miscarried. Doesn't happen, because it's not considered to be a human being at the point of viability.

It's considered to be "products of conception".

Old 08-18-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Okay, I'll ask you:

Why is it the baby's fault that he/she is the product of the violent, heinous act of rape?

How does killing the baby make the rape any less horrific and take away the pain?

Please answer these questions only. No one has been able to do this, they've either ignored it entirely or resorted to name calling. Every successful abortion results in death. Murder is murder.

Having never been raped, I can't answer from experience only speculation. I think many have indirectly answered the second question in that carrying a baby would be a constant reminder of the horrifying traumatic experience they would like to put behind them and try not to think about every minute of every day.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Although your wrong on the rape issue, I gave you a rep point for this one. The pro death camp has to dehumanize abortion, using buzzwords such as "potential life", zygote, "choice" and labeling those of us who stand for all life as "anti-choice", "woman hater", etc. in order for their defense of murder to sound palatable and less like what it is... the killing of an preborn child.

No one had addressed the fact that the overwhelming majority of those in the prolife movement are women. Kinda messes up their talking points.
Its funny you point out the buzzwords the pro-choice group uses yet you call them "pro-death camp"...aren't you in fact doing the same thing you're complaining about in this very post? Pro-death sounds a lot worse than "anti-choice" don't you think?

Old 08-18-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I only accept the morning after pill. I view it not so much an abortificant as just a way to bring on a menstrual cycle early. From my understanding, a woman takes it after having been raped, regardless of where she is in her menstrual cycle. It starts menstruation early and really -- who is to know if an egg was fertilized or could have been fertilized or not? There is no way of knowing, and I see that as a blessing if you will for the rape victim. This way she is not in the position of having to abort her child (and women I know who have had abortions are terribly conflicted about it later) nor is she psychologically tortured by the prescense of her rapists baby growing in her. To me, in this horrible type of scenerio this would be a win/win.
As to the rest, I recognize I cannot change the reality of abortion, but perhaps we can minimize it and the harm that it does.
Very well said. I don't have any statistics to back this up, but in reading debate after debate, I suspect there are many women who believe in the right to choose yet would choose NOT to have an abortion if faced with the decision. Having a right to choose does not automatically mean you would choose the abortion..it just means what is says..that you have the right to choose it.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:37 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I'd like to see a funeral for any 6- to 12-week embryo/fetus (typical gestational development for most abortions) that was miscarried. Doesn't happen, because it's not considered to be a human being at the point of viability.

It's considered to be "products of conception".
One of my miscarriages was at 12 1/2 weeks --- she/he sure looked human to me.
As to what to do with the remains....catholic hospitals (and I believe methodist and others as well) have a group burial for miscarriages. It does help the grieving process to know that your child was treated with respect at the end.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:00 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Don't expect an obviously anti-choice male to feel empathy for those poor women and girls. Zygotes are infinitely more important than the vessels that bear them. After all, they might give birth to a boy!
What does being a boy have to do with anything?

I can't expect you to understand anything because 1) you're a male 2) you're anti-choice

Old 08-18-2008, 02:08 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
As someone who has been raped, I personally wouldn't carry the child of my rapist to term.
If I just found myself with an unexpected pregnancy at my age [I'm 18] (which pretty much won't happen besides rape, considering I'm a lesbian), I would probably carry it to term and give it up for adoption.

I just don't see why people want to govern other's decisions which don't affect them in any way at all. It's my body and if you certainly want to carry the baby to term and all that good stuff, you can but since it's not possible for you to, I'd rather people just go fly a kite and mind their own business.

The world is already overpopulated enough anyway. I love babies just like most people but if the woman doesn't want it before it's a viable baby and she wants an abortion, I certainly won't try to stop her. I can understand an abortion in cases where carrying the fetus to term will seriously affect the mother's health in a negative way, will kill the mother, and if the pregnancy was a result of rape or incest. Even if a woman has an abortion outside of these reasons, I won't judge her.

I just see getting an abortion because you didn't want the guy to wear a condom, you didn't want to get birth control or something like that as being irresponsible. In that case I would encourage carrying the child to term and giving it up for adoption.

In any case, I'm all over the map when it comes to abortion. I probably contradicted myself but oh well. C'est la vie.

I'm just glad my parents planned me.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:17 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Being a man means that while you can understand, and empathize, and even feel some of a woman's pain, there are some aspects of this that are almost impossible to relate to for a man. It's not a put down in any way, it's just that each of us experience our sexuality in a way that's unique to us, specific to our own individuality. A huge part of that is determined by gender. A woman cannot experience everything a man experiences, and a man cannot experience everything a woman experiences. Even if a man is raped, it's a different experience for him, and will impact him differently than it would ANYONE else, men and women included. Pregnancy is one of the gender experiences that cannot be completely shared. I try to respect every person's opinion on this issue, but more than anything, I trust and respect the woman who is faced with a very difficult choice to make the decision that is right for her. And if she is overwhelmed with regret afterwards, I feel terrible for her because, frankly, abortion is never a good choice, but sometimes it's the best choice available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies