Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times

Advertisements

HOW DOES THIS SYMBOL MAKE YOU FEEL?

When you see this Symbol, what comes to mind? What are your first thoughts? Why do you think that? Please stay on topic.. and no Personal Attacks, keep this about the symbol and not about the person responding.

Last edited by Muhnay; 03-10-2008 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 11:29 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
The Civil War.

Next question please.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:30 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Another Confederate flag thread? Yawn. We all know it's going to turn into a North vs. South debate again, do we not?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:32 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Another Confederate flag thread? Yawn. We all know it's going to turn into a North vs. South debate again, do we not?
Uhhhh, yep.

Next.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Scared to post a view on this are we.. better to shun the topic, and try to derail it off to something else.. than post your feelings on the subject.

the civil war.. kinda a cop out don't you think?

I thought for sure Steve O would have an opinion.. guess not. Well ok. I really thought people would be more open to discuss this.. guess your not.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:39 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,975,125 times
You asked. I answered. How can my answer be a cop out?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:42 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Scared to post a view on this are we.. better to shun the topic, and try to derail it off to something else.. than post your feelings on the subject.

the civil war.. kinda a cop out don't you think?

I thought for sure Steve O would have an opinion.. guess not. Well ok. I really thought people would be more open to discuss this.. guess your not.
We're not open to "discuss" this because this thread will inevitably either be closed or moved to the "politics and other controversies" forum where the REAL nut jobs on both sides of the debate will chime in and eventually have the thread closed.

I'm not afraid to post my opinions. To me the Confederate flag symbolizes Southern pride, but it is also sending a divisive message towards Northerners as in "This is OUR turf. Learn and respect our culture or gitttt out." Outside of Civil War enthusiasts I see no reason why a Southerner would WANT to fly the Confederate flag on their property other than to show Northerners they don't agree with their ideologies. With how politically polarized our nation has become now under President Bush's tenure, I think the LAST things Southerners should attempt to do is not only polarize the nation along liberal/conservative lines but also along North/South lines.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 03-10-2008 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 03-10-2008, 11:42 AM

Because you did not give your personal feelings on it.. you said oh its one of those threads again, I'll just give the simple answer and get a c on this quiz and be happy with that.

Yes We know its from the Civil war.. what does it mean to you, what feelings does it rise in you?

Old 03-10-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
We're not open to "discuss" this because this thread will inevitably either be closed or moved to the "politics and other controversies" forum where the REAL nut jobs on both sides of the debate will chime in and eventually have the thread closed.

I'm not afraid to post my opinions. To me the Confederate flag symbolizes Southern pride, but it is also sending a divisive message towards Northerners as in "This is OUR turf. Learn and respect our culture or gitttt out." Outside of Civil War enthusiasts I see no reason why a Southerner would WANT to fly the Confederate flag on their property other than to show Northerners they don't agree with their ideologies.
Can you explain the ideology? Can you explain what it is about this flag that gives you a sense of Pride? I am not trying to get a fight going, I am trying to understand. And who better help me understand your point of view than you people who gravitate to the symbol. I will admit it has great design and its a "purdy" flag from that stand point.. but I was taught in school growing up in El Paso TX, that it was a symbol of hate, and though the years I have seen it used as such.. so when I see people flying it I am a bit confused.. I want to know what it means to the non-hating southerner.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:59 AM

694 posts, read 2,652,056 times
The ultimate symbol of love and tolerance.
All are welcome under our tent. NOT

Obviously the south has much to be proud of.
Great people, great land and rich culture/ history.
The Confederate flag does not do the south justice
rather it serves to remind folk of brother fighting brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies