Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:59 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times

Advertisements

I really do...I was thinking about this as I was drawing up our new food budget...

Anyway..Awhile back I had a injury and couldnt work.
I had a food stamp period for 90 days because that was all I really ran short on(and I had an elec shut off notice)

But anyway...They gave me WAY too much money. WAY WAY WAY too much.
I could of fed two of me on it and tons of premium stuff too. I didnt even end up using it all or even close to it. I think I may of used less than half. And I didnt eat like a bird at all or even close to it.

I really makes me feel strange after I had that and then to reflect on all the overweight people in the public assitance office. And I wonder who decides to set the (x) amt that a person gets for food?

I think they need to reduce the amt that they hand out and give a hand out to people on how to stretch the food budget.

Anyone ever have this and agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:08 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Suppose you tell us what your monthly food stamp benefit was? Suppose you tell us what your income as a single head of household during this period was? See, that way we can check your numbers and have some idea of whether or not you are lying. I know, I know...that's pretty mean and all, but you'd be surprised how many people march in here with some food stamp story or other, and when you poke it a time or two, it turns out to be a complete lie. So, give us the info that will let us know that you're not like those liar type of people...

Old 08-27-2008, 07:21 AM

LOL...

I was head of household - zero income ( didnt take unmplymnt because I didnt think I would be out as long as I was)

I think my food stamps were over 90 dollars. (maybe 120? )

This was a couple years ago before the crazy hikes in prices that have been going on lately. But still....

I mean...I didnt need it all or even come close to it.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:30 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
So, you were easily able to provide yourself with three presumably healthful and nutritious meals per day for less than three dollars? Though it didn't involve food stamps, I did that once for a while, but there was a lot of shoplifting involved. What kind of menus were you offering yourself...

Old 08-27-2008, 07:38 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,398,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
So, you were easily able to provide yourself with three presumably healthful and nutritious meals per day for less than three dollars? Though it didn't involve food stamps, I did that once for a while, but there was a lot of shoplifting involved. What kind of menus were you offering yourself...
Cold Cereal and cold cuts

Old 08-27-2008, 07:45 AM

I guess I just got good at finding bargins as I really did wait to last resort.

I got meats and veggies in big bags frozen mostly. Rice, beans and occasional bread.
Water only.

I didnt really break it up into 3 meals. I was more of a two big meals and snack type person. But enough calorie wise. I never had to shoplift.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:52 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,882,143 times
It might be a little much but I dont think its so grossly out of whack that you need to start cutting benefits. The formula they use to determine your benefit is fair if theres no theft or fraud. I'd rather they err a little to the side of caution, especially with dependent children and elderly

Old 08-27-2008, 08:02 AM

Well everyone I saw in the office looked far from starving. VERY FAR.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,398,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Apparently you weren't/ aren't either

Old 08-27-2008, 08:08 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Or maybe instead of spending $5 on a chicken, $3 on potatoes, and $2 on vegetables for dinner, they bought several packs of high-carb high-calorie instant noodle packages at $.10/pack?

Those on a super strict budget will resort to whatever fills the stomach for the cheapest.

Then, instead of working out or out running in their spare time, they're working a second job to try and make ends meet? Or they're going to school to try and get better in life.

So.. we get the formula of unhealthy food + non-active = overweight.

And they could still be netting less than $10K/year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies