Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:09 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times

Advertisements

The Watch list for suspected terrorists that's used by Homeland Security is designed to help alert airline and port authorities of possible terrorists. But there's a host of problems. The information is too incomplete, people with duplicate names are detained and prevented from traveling because they are unable to prove that they are not the person on the list. The criteria for being added to the list is not clearly spelled out anywhere. There is no notification that you are on the list, so you only find out when you present yourself at the airport, and even then, the airport detains you but Homeland Security doesn't confirm or deny that you are on the list. Getting off the list is an expensive and time-consuming affair, and if you manage to get your name removed, a big if, nothing stops the government from putting you back on later.

Name on government watch list threatens pilot's career - CNN.com

This list is akin to the Communist witch hunts of the 50's. It is based on the same rationale, it cloaks its operations in secrecy, and it can potentially destroy people's lives and careers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 11:12 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
There are problems with it; I know someone that has had problems getting on a flight because of that. I'm glad they have it, but it needs some work.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:20 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
I feel the op's analogy is flawed at best.
Its a very small % of folks who get tagged. If the libs would ok a better method such as retnal scans, dna mapping etc. Alot of these issues would be resolved. But hey if we all submit DNA samples its costly and some bad guys who got away with crimes in the past would have to answer up at long last.
I say fix the system so that it is better but no way do we scrap it. I fly a lot and like the security.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I feel the op's analogy is flawed at best.
Its a very small % of folks who get tagged. If the libs would ok a better method such as retnal scans, dna mapping etc. Alot of these issues would be resolved. But hey if we all submit DNA samples its costly and some bad guys who got away with crimes in the past would have to answer up at long last.
I say fix the system so that it is better but no way do we scrap it. I fly a lot and like the security.
As long as it's someone else that gets tagged, it's okay with you? I like feeling secure when I travel, too, but I can't really say that the watch list makes me feel more secure. It's not like suicide terrorists do it over and over, and so get their names on watch lists. And the news organizations have shown over and over again that the screening process is full of holes. A determined terrorist will find a way. But watch lists that don't tell you why you've been flagged, or how to address the issues that have been raised, or even who to talk to about getting off the list, in a country that is founded on the principles of freedom, is a violation of everything this country stands for.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:32 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
This list is an infringement on our freedom. as is the entire Patriot Act. We are not safer from it but are losing our freedom. The government needs to change.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:34 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
This list is an infringement on our freedom. as is the entire Patriot Act. We are not safer from it but are losing our freedom. The government needs to change.
OT: Are you going to address my replies to you in the thread you started, AONE?

Old 08-22-2008, 11:37 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's not like suicide terrorists do it over and over
It's not like suicide terrorists do it alone, either. Sure, they may get on the plane by themselves, but the events leading up to that moment are carefully planned and executed by not just the suicide bomber, but a number of support personnel as well.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:39 AM

I didn't advocate discarding the watch list, either, but I'd like our government to show as much careful planning and execution as terrorists when they start lists like this so that the rights of American citizens are protected, and our Constitution and legal system upheld.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
These security lists are a blot on our Constitution because they predetermine and limit a citizen's right of free travel and association. The damage to our Republic far exceeds any marginal increase in "security" provided by this vaguely defined and flawed database.

I do not fly very much but I deeply resent everything about transportation "security" systems. If I am a criminal arrest me and press charges. Otherwise I am a free citizen and have a right to travel unmolested, unquestioned and unsearched by the authorities.

This is the most blatant example of giving up Liberty for perceived, but not realized, Security. This is cowardly behavior on the part of the public and shameful behavior by the government. Liberty is lost in small steps. This is a big one and must be eliminated.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:45 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,299,154 times
its full of errors and ommissions......but its a start and yes it needs a lot of work.

besides, what is to stop a terrorist of using a name like John Smith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies