Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:40 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times

Advertisements

There is this from the Jerusalem Post out of Israel.

Dutch intel: US to strike Iran in coming weeks | Iran news | Jerusalem Post
Quote:
The Dutch intelligence service, the AIVD, has called off an operation aimed at infiltrating and sabotaging Iran's weapons industry due to an assessment that a US attack on the Islamic Republic's nuclear program is imminent, according to a report in the country's De Telegraaf newspaper on Friday.
It goes on to mention that apparently this strike was to use unmanned aircraft. How either the Dutch or the Israelis knew this is beyond me but be that as it may. Remember all those unmanned drones that were destroyed or captured in Georgia recently?

How could Georgia be related to Iran, well Justin Raimondo did an interesting piece on it that was mentioned in the American Conservative magazine.

September Surprise- by Justin Raimondo
Quote:
Washington Times correspondent Arnaud de Borchgrave, the close cooperation of the Israelis with the Georgian military in the run-up to President Saakashvili's blitz of South Ossetia was predicated on a Georgian promise to let the Israelis use Georgia's airfields to mount a strike against Iran.
Apparently the problem is that Israeli jets couldn't make a strike on Iran without refueling and needed Saakashvili's airfields to carry out the strike.

Quote:
It's going to happen anyway, goes the rationale, and so we might as well do it the right way, rather than leave it to the Israelis, who have threatened – via "independent" commentators like Israeli historian and super hawk Benny Morris – to use nuclear weapons on Iran's population centers.
So maybe Iran and the Georgian conflict are so closely tied from an operational standpoint, that the need to attack now more so than later, is emphasized. Could an attack on Iran be the Bush administrations last hoorah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 06:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Could an attack on Iran be the Bush administrations last hoorah?
Oh my gosh. Sure looks that way.
Just what we need, another preemptive war.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:53 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,124,361 times
Very interesting. I've heard a conspiracy theory lately that concerned Iran and Russia becoming allies. Now I can totally see how attacking Iran could set the stage perfectly for that possibility.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:40 AM

Well I think it is pretty well known how much this administration is chomping at bit to "stop Iran at all cost", even if this means a military strike. It is also pretty well established that Israel desires this even more rabidly so. In addition to Saakashvili referring to Georgia as "The Israel of the Caucuses", the arms sales, monies, and personnel that both countries have sent to Georgia could very well suggest that this area has a much greater role to play yet.

With only a few more months of the most imperial Presidency in American history left, there is an air of desperation that hangs thick and palatable. After all, what do these people have to lose anyway; their reputations? Lets just hope this scenario doesn't come to fruition.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:51 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,291 times
I would love to hear what people would have the US do while Russia, Iran, China, North Korea, Cuba and Venezuela plot against us. Do we wait for the next attack or do we pretend they like us? Do we let them get stronger as we are weakened?

Old 09-05-2008, 08:05 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
I would love to hear what people would have the US do while Russia, Iran, China, North Korea, Cuba and Venezuela plot against us. Do we wait for the next attack or do we pretend they like us? Do we let them get stronger as we are weakened?
Well duh, we should "negotiate peace" with them, silly!

And Obama's just the person to do it. Of course, that's the reason those countries' leaders are rooting for Obama to become president. Because he knows how to "negotiate peace" and sit down with the leaders of hostile nations.

You know, to figure out the answers to the world's problems. lol

Old 09-05-2008, 08:12 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,291 times
Oh yeah, silly me...let's talk to crazy dictators...I know a lot of Cuban people that lost their Dads to one of them...you're right, talking always works.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
First off I think it would be prudent to ask, WHY would these nations wish to "plot against us", in the first place.

Do we seriously believe these countries wish to rule the world in place of the United States? Do we believe they are capable of this considering that the United States spends more on its military apparatus than the next 17 of the worlds largest nations COMBINED, and yet we are struggling to maintain control in Iraq and Afghanistan? But Venezuela is a threat?

I'm going to have to side with Gen. William Odom and Henry Kissinger on this one and start by asking, why are we not attempting to normalize relations with some of these countries? This doesn't mean democratizing them, this does not mean making them our buds, it only means normalizing relations to such a degree that a healthy and competitive tension exist as opposed to a Neanderthal, in your face type of opposition.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
Very interesting. I've heard a conspiracy theory lately that concerned Iran and Russia becoming allies. Now I can totally see how attacking Iran could set the stage perfectly for that possibility.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of the supposed good thing democracy we gave Iraq forming an Islamic alliance with Iran, dedicated to fighting the west. An attack on Iran would likely increase that possibility.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:37 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,983 times
Dutch intelligence? Are you people serious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies