Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:45 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times

Advertisements

Some examples of the crimes these terrorists commit:

May the myth RIP (http://www.furcommission.com/resource/perspect999cj.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 05:27 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
No surprise here. A friend of mine had his workplace turned upside down by a group of masked "animal rights" terrorists. The reason? They demo'd their lab management product (they're a software company) to a company that does testing on animals. The potential client never even bought their software...

Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
When I witnessed the video of Army personnel repeatedly using a blowtorch on a live pig whose legs had been bound in order to "better understand" the effects of burning flesh, I felt an anger rise up in me that easily would have manifested as murder. The screaming of the helpless animal was enough. I've read about and seen other such stories since then.

Because the wealth and power is on the side of those who treat animals in the most hideous of manners, I fully support most of the actions of these animal rights activists. The label of "terrorist" has been successfully applied by the businesses themselves. A complicit media simply repeats it. It is not an appropriate label.

Just as people feel a compelling need to lynch mass murderers and child molesters, I feel the same way here. If it's OK for a community to excise itself of such undesirables, the same principle should be applicable to heartless corporations and their soulless CEOs. You torture animals, dump toxins into rivers, carelessly cut off mountain tops, AND you refuse to stop, you're done.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 PM

These people belong in mental institutions and prisons. I wish the FBI would put a little more effort into going after these terrorists than they currently are. Attacks by middle eastern/radical islamic terrorists on U.S. soil are comparatively rare as opposed to these terrorists whose attacks are rather frequent.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
When I witnessed the video of Army personnel repeatedly using a blowtorch on a live pig whose legs had been bound in order to "better understand" the effects of burning flesh, I felt an anger rise up in me that easily would have manifested as murder. The screaming of the helpless animal was enough. I've read about and seen other such stories since then.

Because the wealth and power is on the side of those who treat animals in the most hideous of manners, I fully support most of the actions of these animal rights activists. The label of "terrorist" has been successfully applied by the businesses themselves. A complicit media simply repeats it. It is not an appropriate label.

Just as people feel a compelling need to lynch mass murderers and child molesters, I feel the same way here. If it's OK for a community to excise itself of such undesirables, the same principle should be applicable to heartless corporations and their soulless CEOs. You torture animals, dump toxins into rivers, carelessly cut off mountain tops, AND you refuse to stop, you're done.
Interesting coincidence, I was typing while you posted. Anyways, these groups label all medical research, keeping of pets, eating of meat, use of fur, use of animal products in medicine, etc., as "torture" and "cruelty." Quite far from the truth. One of my science professors in my college days had been involved in a little animal research at one time and over the course of some courses (only a few sadly as my major was in history) I met some other scientists, who were doing research with animals, generally rats. Ethics was pretty important to them all and they were all quite careful to not inflict unnecessary suffering. Nonetheless, obviously some suffering will occur, but, the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Countless people and yes animals too have been saved from death or suffering as a result of research.

And don't even get me started on the myths they perpetrate about hunting and trapping...

These radicals are indeed terrorists.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:49 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
The label of "terrorist" has been successfully applied by the businesses themselves. A complicit media simply repeats it. It is not an appropriate label.
Um, no... The FBI has some of these groups on their list of terrorist organizations. The "label" is well deserved.

But just in case you're still not convinced...

Quote:
ter·ror·ism Audio Help /ˈtɛrəˌrɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ter-uh-riz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes.
My friend was a direct victim of one of these terrorist groups. They used "violence and threats to intimidate or coerce" the company he worked for. They are the dictionary definition of terrorists.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:50 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Interesting coincidence, I was typing while you posted. Anyways, these groups label all medical research, keeping of pets, eating of meat, use of fur, use of animal products in medicine, etc., as "torture" and "cruelty." Quite far from the truth. One of my science professors in my college days had been involved in a little animal research at one time and over the course of some courses (only a few sadly as my major was in history) I met some other scientists, who were doing research with animals, generally rats. Ethics was pretty important to them all and they were all quite careful to not inflict unnecessary suffering. Nonetheless, obviously some suffering will occur, but, the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Countless people and yes animals too have been saved from death or suffering as a result of research.

And don't even get me started on the myths they perpetrate about hunting and trapping...

These radicals are indeed terrorists.
What sort of research was being done? Did this research involve saving the animals that were being researched upon, was that the point of the research project?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
What sort of research was being done? Did this research involve saving the animals that were being researched upon, was that the point of the research project?
One involved testing a drug to be used in treating cancer, another had something to do with the effects of an insecticide. Rats were being used in those studies. Quite conceivably the research could eventually save lives of animals in addition to people. Takes more than one study to really accomplish much though...

Out of curiousity, why'd you want to know?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:27 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
One involved testing a drug to be used in treating cancer, another had something to do with the effects of an insecticide. Rats were being used in those studies. Quite conceivably the research could eventually save lives of animals in addition to people. Takes more than one study to really accomplish much though...

Out of curiousity, why'd you want to know?
I'm curious because of the type of research. Does it have to do w/the well-being of animals or the well-being of humans? There's a difference. If it's for humans, you can be sure that there is pain & suffering happening to the animals. Research for the sake of animals is usually done in the animals own environment, usually by observance.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:28 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:

so you're cool w/ groups like ALF burning down the homes of researchers while they sleep inside w/ their families? you're cool w/ the bomb threats? you're cool w/ them harassing these scientists to the point many must uproot their families in order to keep them safe? you're cool w/ them releasing vast numbers of lab animals into the wild where, not only are they an invasive species, but they cause damage to the local ecosystem? which actions are you ok w/, but most of these groups tend to use the most horrific means of trying to get their point across and seem to care little about human welfare, or indeed of any other animal outside of a lab.

I hope to god you don't make use of any medicine or don't step foot into any hospital otherwise, that would make you a hypocrite

it's one thing to support animal welfare, but don't applaud these terrorists and say you agree w/ even 1% of what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies