Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "... most of the troops went to crappy schools and had crappy grades, that is why they enlisted
Yes 51 29.65%
No 104 60.47%
Not Sure. 17 9.88%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,679 times

Advertisements

The military now promotes getting a college degree using the GI Bill and it seems rather childish to me. I was in the military and in Vietnam because I believed I had to go support our country. Yeah I was 18 and got wounded several times but I still think the military is good.

Using benefits obtained or what vets earned from ther service duty is one thing but I am finding some people chastising the Vietnam Vets by saying "thanks for fighting an unpopular battle" gets under my skin. No matter what we do as a country we must support our military because if it were not for the Veterans we would not be free. Imagine going to work in coal mine when you have the smarts of a doctor or working as a farmer when you are better acclamated to argue in a court room.

God Bless our Veterans and Troops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 11:42 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
It may be hard for you to understand but yes...there are actually people (college educated even!) who really do love our country!!! And -- here is the truly amazing part -- they feel absolutely no guilt about it! And they don't even view our country as the scourge of the earth, the reason for all manner of bad things that happen throughout the world today. My god, what would Jon Stewart say?
Which was the biggest threat to the U.S., Viet Nam in 1965, or Iraq in 2005?

You have my permission to answer, None Of The Above.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:00 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Which was the biggest threat to the U.S., Viet Nam in 1965, or Iraq in 2005?

You have my permission to answer, None Of The Above.
Oh don't get all in a twist.
Of course Viet Nam and Iraq were huge mistakes.
But does that make the members of the military idiots? Uneducated rednecks/trash of all colors? Because that is what I was responding to, the assertation that people join the military because they are inheirently stupid or only to get their education paid for.
Personally, I believe that the members of the military aren't ignorant rubes and that perhaps patriotism just may motivated one or two.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Oh don't get all in a twist.
Of course Viet Nam and Iraq were huge mistakes.
But does that make the members of the military idiots? Uneducated rednecks/trash of all colors? Because that is what I was responding to, the assertation that people join the military because they are inheirently stupid or only to get their education paid for.
Personally, I believe that the members of the military aren't ignorant rubes and that perhaps patriotism just may motivated one or two.

I think you are spot-on using ignorant rubes and patriotism in the same sentence.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:14 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
...It is close to what John Kerry said last year...

"Close" as in "close", or close by CD standards?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:18 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,555 times
I do not really care what brings our young man and woman to join the military...because when they come out they are the Best, the brightest and the most brave. They honor their country...most of you here on this website would pale in comparison standing next to any American Soldier. Thank you to all who volunter to serve your country for whatever reason.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:22 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
I can't find this quote anywhere, does anyone have a link?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:23 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
This was posted in a thread. It is close to what John Kerry said last year. Do you agree?

"... most of the troops went to crappy schools and had crappy grades, that is why they enlisted."
Why enlist when you can be an officer? Those who enlist are generally not college material and therefore that is true. As a former Officer in the US Navy, I speak from experience. Most of my enlisted kids that served under me were not very academically inclined. Sure, there are exceptions, but to be an enlisted person in the military, you generally wont have a degree, so it holds some water.

After all, why would you choose to take a job where you're a slave to the government, you make very little money and you have to adhere to strict rules? And why would you start off at a level (E-1) that has a very low ceiling when 4 years of college could get you to start at a level (O-1) you could never reach as an enlisted member of the service.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:35 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Why enlist when you can be an officer? Those who enlist are generally not college material and therefore that is true. As a former Officer in the US Navy, I speak from experience. Most of my enlisted kids that served under me were not very academically inclined. Sure, there are exceptions, but to be an enlisted person in the military, you generally wont have a degree, so it holds some water.

After all, why would you choose to take a job where you're a slave to the government, you make very little money and you have to adhere to strict rules? And why would you start off at a level (E-1) that has a very low ceiling when 4 years of college could get you to start at a level (O-1) you could never reach as an enlisted member of the service.
I served six years in the Navy Submarine force and my observation is that the military is a cross section of the country as a whole. There are dumb servicemen and incredibly bright servicemen. My personal experience in submarines is that the officers and enlisted were all very bright and very able. The only difference I saw between officers and enlisted was that the officers all had college degrees and only some of the enlisted did. All were bright enough to complete college.

The military, even the Army and Marines, are increasing relying on a solider who has to have above average intelligence just to operate all the equipment he/she is provided.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:37 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
This was posted in a thread. It is close to what John Kerry said last year. Do you agree?

"... most of the troops went to crappy schools and had crappy grades, that is why they enlisted."

It's close to what john Kerry said?

Is that like thinking they have WMDs is close to having WMDs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies