Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If American troops killed 100 Taliban Fighters this week are you safer in "your town America&qu
Yes, because those guys attacked us on September 11th 15 39.47%
NO! The Taliban are over there and will not attack me in my town here in America 15 39.47%
I will have to get back to you on that 8 21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:37 AM

485 posts, read 1,840,082 times

Advertisements

Every time I read the newspaper there is a story about our troops killing another 100 Taliban fighters in Afghanistan. What did that accomplish? If we kill 100 of their fighters over there each week, how does that make me safer over here?

I suspect it makes me less safe because the money we spend on the war against the Taliban could be spent on infrastructure to make our roads and homeland security safer here in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 10:44 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,087 times
I guess somebody forgot to mention that we are the new Soviets there......look for us to be there for the next 10-15 yrs before we raise the white flag.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:50 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
It might matter if one of them were in the process of planning an attack.

How did an American pilot killing a Japanese pilot in the South Pacific make anyone in the US safer?

Old 09-10-2008, 11:54 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post

How did an American pilot killing a Japanese pilot in the South Pacific make anyone in the US safer?
But you see, during that time we were at war with an imperialistic country bent on conquest. They were a direct threat to us considering they were allowed by our government to bomb Pearl Harbor. On the other hand, the Taliban are rabble fighting an invasion force who are there simply to secure the land for our pipelines. See the difference.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:02 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
But you see, during that time we were at war with an imperialistic country bent on conquest. They were a direct threat to us considering they were allowed by our government to bomb Pearl Harbor. On the other hand, the Taliban are rabble fighting an invasion force who are there simply to secure the land for our pipelines. See the difference.
No. The Taliban had taken over Afghanistan and were effectively the government. Under their leadership, they supported and allowed Al Qaeda to operate and plan attacks on the US. If we allowed them to take control again, another attack would be probable. They were the conquering force; we are defending the rightful government - not a small detail.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:08 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Really the choices should be "Yes" "No" or "Don't know". The reasons given aren't inclusive to why an answer is chosen.

The reason I said "yes" is because of the overall problems related to our war on terror. A group has attacked us and declared war on us... we retaliate and claim a war against them.

Now... because of our involvement in Iraq (as well as the other middle eastern countries) there is an uprising. We have responded by involving ourselves into a war against and ideology that has been going on for millennia. And since we're in it.. just like all the fighting that has been going on that long, we are in for the long haul.

It's been proven more often than not that the way to win a war is through attrition. One side kills more of the enemy than the other. This way one of two things will happen. First, we wipe them all out, so there is no more enemy. Of course, the realism of this is next to nil. So, the second thing is to wipe out enough of them that they lose the taste for continuing. This may be achievable... at least in the short term until they can re-garner enough people to mass another assault.

If just one of them that wasn't killed made it to the states and killed just ONE more person, then it justifies the killing of the enemy. We can guarantee that those that were killed will not have a chance to kill any Americans.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post

If just one of them that wasn't killed made it to the states and killed just ONE more person, then it justifies the killing of the enemy. We can guarantee that those that were killed will not have a chance to kill any Americans.
OMG, you really mean it, don't you?

Do you mean killing the enemy, that you are miraculously able to positively identify in a crowded street and putting a single bullet into his head at point blank range so as to not endanger any bystanders? Or do you mean killing everyone who might be the same religion or speak the same language or live in the same country as the enemy, along with whatever collateral damage is smirked away by GWB as an inescapable part of war?

I have a serious question for you, Rathagos. Why is fear the central focus of your life?

I'll do you one better. We can reduce our recidivism rate to zero by executing 2-milliion prisoners at sunrise tomorrow morning. We can guarantee that none of them will ever have a chance to commit a crime again. Welcome to thenew, kinder and gentler America.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-10-2008 at 01:00 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 12:56 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,087 times
Geez, so all these postings in here just acknowledge that this great nation of USA is all about killing people. Ohhh, i see. I now see.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:04 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post

------------

Than you subscribe to never fighting back?

One less enemy fighter is still one less enemy fighter.

Japan attacks us we than returned the favor .

Don't confuse Afghanistan with Iraq . I do think we are never leaving either country.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:05 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OMG, you really mean it, don't you?

Do you mean killing the enemy, that you are miraculously able to positively identify in a crowded street and putting a single bullet into his head at point blank range so as to not endanger any bystanders? Or do you mean killing everyone who might be the same religion or speak the same language or live in the same country as the enemy, along with whatever collateral damage is smirked away by GWB as an inescapable part of war?

I have a serious question for you, Rathagos. Why is fear the central focus of your life?

I'll do you one better. We can reduce our recidivism rate to zero by executing 2-milliion prisoners at sunrise tomorrow morning. We can guarantee that none of them will ever have a chance to commit a crime again. Welcome to thenew, kinder and gentler America.

But you subscribe to not doing a thing ever . Just turn a blind eye and hope they don't strike us again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies