Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 04:38 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,747,514 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or are others tired of seeing all the posts like "I'm looking for a gay friendly city"..... or "the family is a huge mixed race bag - who will give us the love and acceptance we need" give me a break.

Why is it that when people choose to live a certain lifestyle, be it being gay, marrying someone of a different race, etc. Then they run around worrying about who is going to accept them? If you think it's so great to do what you are doing then you should be proud of it and not worry about what others think.

The bottom line?

If you are gay you will REALLY accepted in San Fran. If you are an interracial family you will be more accepted in cities. Cities will always be more open to all those that deviate from normal activities (for a variety of reasons). But.... no matter where you go there will still be A LOT people that have a problem with you being gay or that you are with someone of another race. That's the way it goes, get over it if that's the life you choose to live.

That's my two cents on constantly seeing those two questions... I roll my eyes everytime!!!

Old 02-06-2007, 04:42 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Is it just me or are others tired of seeing all the posts like "I'm looking for a gay friendly city"..... or "the family is a huge mixed race bag - who will give us the love and acceptance we need" give me a break.

Why is it that when people choose to live a certain lifestyle, be it being gay, marrying someone of a different race, etc. Then they run around worrying about who is going to accept them? If you think it's so great to do what you are doing then you should be proud of it and not worry about what others think.

The bottom line?

If you are gay you will REALLY accepted in San Fran. If you are an interracial family you will be more accepted in cities. Cities will always be more open to all those that deviate from normal activities because they draw those kinds of people. But.... no matter where you go there will still be people that have a problem with you being gay or that you are with someone of another race. That's the way it goes, get over it if that's the life you choose to live.

That's my two cents on constantly seeing those two questions... I roll my eyes everytime!!!
Truth be told- I think people ask those kinds of questions precisely to avoid a large cluster of people with judgmental attitudes like yours. Who are you to define what "normal activities" are? Why should gay people be restricted to San Francisco? Is that supposed to be some sort of de facto gay concentration camp?

I hope it's just you...

Old 02-06-2007, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Is that supposed to be some sort of de facto gay concentration camp?

I hope it's just you...
OBVIOUSLY it's not just me or these people would not keep asking the questions over and over and over.

A gay concentration camp.... hmm... interesting, I never thought of that before. Looks like you have.

And you said "I think people ask those kinds of questions precisely to avoid a large cluster of people with judgmental attitudes like yours."..... like I said, unless they go to San Fran they will find that anywhere!!! Or they can go to major cities that may be more tolerant towards it. Truth be told, they know this prior to posting the question!

Old 02-06-2007, 04:47 AM

669 posts, read 3,194,485 times
Well there's nothing wrong with asking that question. Otherwise, you might end up in the least tolerant place in the nation, and shot and killed. Whether you think so or not, a lot of people are still intolerant and it can be dangerous. I'm one of those people that has asked this type of question several times. I suppose it could get annoying, but...just don't read it then! It's for our safety. Now, while it's true that as long as you're in a decent enough place, you can usually live your life without fear, if you end up in a bad enough place, it could be disaster.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:49 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,435 times
Quote:
OBVIOUSLY it's not just me or these people would not keep asking the questions over and over and over.

A gay concentration camp.... hmm... interesting, I never thought of that before. Looks like you have.
No, actually you're the first one I saw who raised this question. Maybe it being Black History month has you in a little bit of a funk.

And the "concentration camp" reference was obviously made tongue-in-cheek. I was just putting words to your idea...

Old 02-06-2007, 04:51 AM

702 posts, read 2,525,794 times
Exactly...this is an open forum and people look here for information on various subjects. They don't check with RedWingsFan first to make sure it's a topic he approves of.

You do have the option of NOT READING the ones you're complaining about. "If it's not all about me I don't think it should exist" is a very egocentric attitude. Open your mind to things that other people are interested in and, whether you agree with the topic or not, you might learn something new. You might even become a better person by doing it...we call it maturity?

Old 02-06-2007, 05:01 AM

Now that's a new revelation that hasn't been worn out over and over...."Go out to that there SanFrancisco...I hear they got em by the thousands and they even flaunt it!"

See, already here's a subject you could learn something about...San Francisco isn't the only city with a large gay community anymore. Most major cities have large gay populations that make visible cultural and civic contributions. Some cities like Atlanta have elected officials who are openly gay - and it doesn't bother the majority of the city! There are even smaller cities that dare to have gay citizens and gay dance clubs. In a city as small as Columbus GA there is a skanky little gay bar. Man, those homosexuals must be starting to live everywhere!

Old 02-06-2007, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post

You do have the option of NOT READING the ones you're complaining about. "
I don't read them. I just see the question being posed all the time.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:10 AM

Quote:
I don't read them. I just see the question being posed all the time.
...and it's irritating you because...you think these issues aren't worth discussing? Or they shouldn't be part of this forum? or because they crowd up the forum with non-RedWingsFan ideas? Just look at the interest and passion certain topics generate...

Old 02-06-2007, 06:36 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,492,687 times
Default I understand why these matters are a concern

but, I am tired of the focus on 'Diversity' etc

I cannot speak for or control others in my niche--but I have 'So Many Challenges' in my own life--I honestly do not have time to worry about life style preferences or ethnicity. And I definitely do not care about anyone else's religious/spiritual preferences.

Absolute agony--discussing 'The Issues'--but it is necessary and it is necessary to research relocation.

LOL---discriminination---I frequently feel 'Discriminated' against. I am 'Old'--not 20/30 or even 40. And I have never been ' Beautiful'. That is the very Worst--we should all be beautiful --shouldn't we and stay Young.

It is cruel and unjust...what can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies