Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 04:16 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
To repeat my question, when are you responsible?
What do you mean? When am I responsible for what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 04:40 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
I have gone over all of your posts in this thread. Wow.
What a racist. You are absolutely, obsessed with race.
You claim to know all the percentages of all the different
races all over the Americas. Is all that stuff really so
important? You realize that if one of your percentages
is off just 5%, all of your data is wrong.

Good luck dude, hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I have gone over all of your posts in this thread. Wow.
What a racist. You are absolutely, obsessed with race.
You claim to know all the percentages of all the different
races all over the Americas. Is all that stuff really so
important? You realize that if one of your percentages
is off just 5%, all of your data is wrong.
You call me a racist, and tell me that my data may be wrong. Imagine my consternation. I mean, I am really, really hurt.

Quote:
Good luck dude, hope you find what you are looking for.

Thanks. And I hope you find an editor.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You call me a racist, and tell me that my data may be wrong. Imagine my consternation. I mean, I am really, really hurt.

Thanks. And I hope you find an editor.

Are you saying you are not obsessed with race?

Old 08-30-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Are you saying you are not obsessed with race?
I am obsessed with the truth.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I am obsessed with the truth.

About race.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
About race.
So?

Old 08-31-2010, 12:52 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddop View Post
It seems puerto ricans accept their black blood the most out of the countries with latinos. Do you think Im correct in my assesment of the latin countries. Why is that then when it comes to hispanics? In the early year's of the world their were alot of blacks in puerto rico. But also panama, colombia, mexico, brazil, cuba, venezeula dominican, and other parts of south america. What makes puerto ricans so diffrent?
ROTFLMAO!

It depends on what "Puerto Ricans" you are talking about. Your premise might apply to most "Puerto Ricans" who have been born and raised in the Northeast of the US. That particular group has developed close ties with the African American population in the states. So much so, that they have little knowledge of Puerto Rican history, culture and other idiosyncrasies. They may know a little bit of (what I call) "kitchen Spanish" and they fly the PR flag everywhere, but deep down they have a New York soul. That is definitely not the case with the Puerto Ricans on the island of Puerto Rico. Ask members of either group (Nuyoricans vs island Puerto Ricans) and you will find a clear and deep divide.

Some posters have pointed out the presence of some African slaves during the initial "Conquista" period and the search for gold. I doubt Juan Garrido helped populate the entire island. The reality is that the amount of gold in Puerto Rico was minimal. Early colonial life in PR was very harsh and very poor. The population was sparse. The Spanish monarchy wanted PR as a military asset, but it always had trouble maintaining adequate population levels. Other Latin American countries had higher levels of African slaves because they were richer and could afford them. Not so with the few Puerto Rican farmers. They were too poor to buy a significant number of slaves.

The Spanish monarchy was very vigilant about keeping the number of African slaves low because they feared slave uprisings. PR's value as a colony was always its key strategic location. The economic value of the island was minimal.

Yes, there were slaves on the island and they imparted some genetic and cultural influence,but not to the degree that a lot of "Nuyoricans" want you to believe.

Poverty, storms, disease and governmental neglect made life on the island harsh, precarious, and short. Read the "Cedula de Gracia de 1812".
Read about the establishments/foundations of towns. Read about the lack of roads and the resulting isolation of Taino descendants and Andalusian and Extremadura Spaniards. Listen to the Spanish spoken on the island and then listen to "Canario Spanish".

The African slaves lived used mostly on sugar cane plantations along some areas of the island's coast and few lived in the mountainous inland. The oldest, most authentic Puerto Rican "stock" comes from the inland. That is where the "jibaros" come from and their phenotype is mostly European.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:32 AM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,472 times
I don't know a fully black Puerto Rican, but I know some who are obviously mixed (Mulatto) and they are proud of both their African and European heritage. But they are mostly assoicated with Blacks.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
I don't know a fully black Puerto Rican, but I know some who are obviously mixed (Mulatto) and they are proud of both their African and European heritage. But they are mostly assoicated with Blacks.

You're not going to find too many "fully black" people in Latin America (or North America, for that matter). There are some very African people in the Dominican, Cuba, Panama, Colombia and Ecuador, for example, and in some isolated parts of PR such as Loiza Aldea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies