Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

What predictions ? If you had been paying attention to the market and the news the past year it was a matter of time. This plummet wasn't an "if" prediction but a "when" prediction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 01:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonyates View Post
The poster was understandably ridiculed because he sounded like a paranoid nutjob.
He is a "nutjob." Who cares about the stock-market?

The colonies and the US did just fine without a stock-market for 300 years.

Stock-markets aren't necessary. All forms of business have dozens of ways to raise capital. Publicly traded corporations have all of those dozens of ways to raise capital, plus one additional method of raising capital (the sale of stocks) that other forms of business don't have.

All markets inevitably crash and stocks are long-term investments, not short-term (unless your sole source of income is from stock sales).

No stock market crash has ever caused a recession or depression and recessions and depressions occur with or without stock markets.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:22 PM

728 posts, read 1,677,123 times
There are ton of internet rumors about an "alleged" closed door session of congress. Supposedly the content of the session was regarding the imminent collapse of the economy, and the eventual collapse of the government in 2009. Normally I would dismiss this kind of stuff as paranoia, however, the date given for the collapse was September. Kind of spooky, but I think we are still quite a ways from a full collapse of the economy. Or at least I hope so........

Old 09-17-2008, 01:41 PM

22 posts, read 26,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
There are ton of internet rumors about an "alleged" closed door session of congress. Supposedly the content of the session was regarding the imminent collapse of the economy, and the eventual collapse of the government in 2009.
There are also internet rumors that Jackie Kennedy shot JFK in Dallas on November 22, 1963. I'm pretty sure we can dismiss this one.

When economic times are tough, and they most certainly are that now, nut jobs come out of the woodwork with apocalyptic predictions. I read one the other day that suggested that the US economy would collapse at the hands of the Roman Catholic Church.

Not quite sure how that would work.

Anyway, it is easy, at times like this to succumb to panic. I suggest we avoid that strategy for as long as possible.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:00 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,733,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
There are ton of internet rumors about an "alleged" closed door session of congress. Supposedly the content of the session was regarding the imminent collapse of the economy, and the eventual collapse of the government in 2009. Normally I would dismiss this kind of stuff as paranoia, however, the date given for the collapse was September. Kind of spooky, but I think we are still quite a ways from a full collapse of the economy. Or at least I hope so........

Well, the "content" of the closed door session, is what is up for "allegations" and rumors. The closed door "secret" session did indeed take place on March 13th 2008. Supossedly only the fourth such session in the last 182 years. Dennis Kucinich was opposed to the idea, and refused to attend. A link to a video with Kucinich discussing his reasons for refusing to attend, below.

YouTube - Kucinich speaks out about Congress' closed session

Old 09-17-2008, 05:56 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Well, the "content" of the closed door session, is what is up for "allegations" and rumors. The closed door "secret" session did indeed take place on March 13th 2008
They discussed and voted on a bill that authorized funding dedicated to the overthrow of the Iranian government through the use of clandestine operations, oppositions groups and so on.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:32 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,733,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
They discussed and voted on a bill that authorized funding dedicated to the overthrow of the Iranian government through the use of clandestine operations, oppositions groups and so on.

You may very well be correct. Do you have a "secret" source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies