Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:47 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
Who really CARES about GOTH or PUNK? A 20 something TRYING to PROVE how ANTI-ESTABLISHMENT they are? How many 50 yr old's are running around with MOHAWKS? To me, THOSE people are living in the past! Trends change, they ALWAYS have and ALWAYS will. What's cool today, ain't tommorrow. GOTH, LOL LOL LOL
I think country is cool now especially with young starts like Carrie Underwood, Rascal Flatts and Taylor Swift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 01:09 PM

743 posts, read 2,069,057 times
Speaking as someone who isn't into the stuff 'victorianpunk' is into, I do not find NYC to be boring as he wants to see it.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:39 PM

110 posts, read 377,073 times
The people of NYC have become women.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:09 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,833,054 times
i like NY, i think it is probably the safest big city in the US... not because of 9/11 either.

i wouldnt want to live there though for the simple fact that a fatal big disaster= lots of deaths because of its congestiness

Old 09-25-2008, 08:58 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,411,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
hat is the next big thing that makes NYC fun? rock replaced swing, than folk replaced rock, than punk replaced folk, than post-punk/goth/hardcore replaced punk...and they have been replaced with a "closed" sign and a "coming soon: Channel Outlet" sign.
Yikes! NYC is going down the tubes if Chanel has resorted to opening at an outlet when they don't even like the word sale. There goes the city...

Seriously, what's this bashing of Patricia Field at every turn...first 'Sex & the City' and now 'Devil Wears Prada.' BTW, she was costumer for both, as well as other productions, and her style is quintessential NYC with a twist. She is reflective of the city and puts her own spin on it, hence the iconic status. And, as I pointed out earlier, she is not the establishment type as her shop has and continues to push the limits of fashion in an innovative and artistic manner.

What you are seeking exists in NYC, but they appear to have left the forwarding address off the streets. NYC is vibrant where it was once decayed, and basic economics has dictated many of the changes that are lamented in the city, since unlike many places NYC's land mass is limted, particularly Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Conformity....you know.....one day in my life, maybe 10 years from now, I will drive a pickup truck into Manhattan blasting Rascal Flatts and Taylor Swift at bull blast.
Actually, there is a small presence of country music lovers in NYC. There's even a western store in Lower Manhattan.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:57 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,235,303 times
Quote:
I have always lived about a half hour away from NYC, have friends there, and I must say, it is, indeed, an overrated city. Sorry...fifteen, twenty years ago it was fun but now, after the reign of Generalismo Bennito Guiliani, it's now, believe it or not, kind of aboring place.
Looks pretty entertaining from here....

Liberal Outrage: A Pro-McCain March In Manhattan

Old 05-04-2009, 03:51 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,859,620 times
Unfortunately NYC has become more like LA in the last decade, less edgy, more plastic. It may have to do that its too expensive for "regular" ppl to live there...it's now all celebrities or celebrity wannabes. But I'd still find it a stretch calling NYC most boring big city

Old 11-01-2009, 10:32 PM

12 posts, read 42,411 times
I live here in nyc and the person who started the post is telling nothing but the god heaven truth nyc use to be fun a long time ago. rather their were punk rock or not i went up state and party my tail off the momment i come back to nyc its so boring their is nothing here any moore they took all the good stores of of 34 st the only thing in times square are a couple of shows. their is nothing worth seeing any moore what are the tourist coming in for their are boring cheap comedy shows that are not funny you go over to brooklyn they cut all the yard parties their is nothing worh being in nyc. all the music venues moved south people please do not be fooled every one just walking around like zommies looking for something to do you are better off having fun in some little hit towns thats where all the parties are now just found that out and please dont bother coming here for work unless your into computers or the fast food industry theatre work is not even happening
im moving upstate ny is better cheaper and fun. the rappers and celebrities you will see them upstate ny moore then nyc. people that are born in raised in nyc are going to stick up for where they come from but deep down inside they know its not fun like it use to be no wonder every person i come in contact with are moving away and im a social butterfly i talk to every one. the moore the people come in to nyc the moore they are leaving people who never been here who come from another place because they believe its the american dream huh sorry to break it to you dont let the big scenery in manhattan fool you yes it looks wonderful but thats it.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:46 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,014,110 times
Quote:
I have always lived about a half hour away from NYC, have friends there, and I must say, it is, indeed, an overrated city. Sorry...fifteen, twenty years ago it was fun but now, after the reign of Generalismo Bennito Guiliani, it's now, believe it or not, kind of aboring place.

I had more fun in a week in Austin than I would have in a month in NYC. Sorry, but the big apple is not the place it use to be...it went from mohawks, punk shows, goth chicks and beatniks to a bunch of barstars going to the "it" club sipping the "it" cocktail listening to the "it" song and wearing the "it" outfit...all the while they are so full of IT! I'd take Austin or Portland anyday...and let's face it people, NYC does not have, has never, and never will be able to top Berlin, the REAL capital of the world when it comes to overall fun factor.

Worst part is the people. NYC used to attract folks from all over the country and the world to come and be a part of this great scene. Now? Thanks to a little something called "Sex and the City", for every one kool kid who moves to NYC to start a band and have fun, three thirty-something yuppie chicks move in who want to relish in their fashion-victimdom, and the change is obvious...take good old Saint Mark's Street. It used to be full of tattoo parlors, goth shops, and indie record stores. Now? There are maybe two vintage shops that cater mostly to tourist and the WORLD RENOWNED goth shop Religious Sex is nothing but a memory...it's not even that, but all the shops have turned into nothing but the same crap you can find in the mall. Canal Street Jeans? Replaced with the GAP. Oscar Wilde Book store? Replaced by Barnes and Noble.

And the people's view one others? At times, NYC feels like it's just slightly to the left of rural Alabama when it comes to tolerance. If you are wealthy and gay and into the same yuppie scene that everyone else is into, you'll do okay...if you want to walk around in a frock coat, combat boots, spiked collar and spiked hair, you will get stared at worst than in Kansas. Why? Not because you're a "freak",but because you are sooo unfashionable. Conformity is the new religion of NYC...once upon a time there was something for everyone in NYC, now? It is a place that's comfortable for but a few.

Bottom line: People in NYC don't go out to have fun, they go out to be seen. I was in Austin, and went to one show were the crowd ended up spilling out unto the sidewalk and everyone was cheering, drinking, and laughing...in NYC, the people would snort and say "laughing in public went out of style two years ago" and roll their eyes and grab their 15,000 channel bag and walk away.

And spare me, SPARE ME the mention of Williamsburg Brooklyn. I have been down there, and there are maybe two places to hear live music and the peopel who live there all think their being "edgy" by wearing white after Labor Day, not to mention that it's ghetto as hell with crips and bloods running around like they own the place (which the do...) and unlike other dangerous cities, one can't even carry a gun in NYC legally.
The whole place is filled with people who think they're cool for listening to Fall Out Boy and think that they're being "counter culture" by wearing $80, as opposed to $200, lipstick.

If you are young, alternative thinking, and like FUN, than NYC is not the best city for you...alas, the "Sex and the City" crowd has bushed the "Bauhaus and Agnostic Front" crowd out a long time ago. I actually know someone who moved from NYC back to BOISE IDAHO because Boise is more fun and has a bigger punk rock and alternative scene...you can thank Rudy *41* shoots Guiliani for that one.

Funny. i remember the old NYC well...when my dad and mom forbade me to be in Times Square back in the early/mid/80's...Bryant Park & Tompkins Square Park were "needle park"(s) When the "old Ritz" was just the Ritz and only us freaks had south of 14th and Alphabet City ...etc etc
I hear ya, but doesn't it seem more than a touch late for this rant?

Old 11-01-2009, 11:07 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
I think it's cute that these people think a city is made or broken by how many goth people are walking around. Of course NY had a bunch of societial malcontents in the 70s and 80s. It was abandoned in the rush out of cities. Now people have returned to cities.

Get over it. How boring a city would be with just goth kids bitter at anyone with a career or an education. They're just conforming to a different set of rules.

Though - I do think that there's something interesting afoot in the U.S. There's a lot of great scenes emerging across the country - Austin's a little played out, but Omaha has made a name for itself. Detroit's always offering something new, from techno to garage rock to whatever comes next. Minneapolis has an incredible music, arts, and cultural scene. Chicago's really pushing new ground in the restaurant scene. A lot of small cities too.

Maybe we don't need to concentrate in NY anymore with technology and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies