Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

I do not know a siongle person, Democrat or whatever, who supports killing babies. People I know support the right of a mother to choose, which is why they call themselves pro-choice.

Every single pro-life person who is in favor of an exception for rape and incest, in those cases "supports killing babies" just as much as any pro-choice person does. Pro-lifers who make an exception for rape and incest all suddenly become pro-choicers when there is a choice of murdering the baby of a rapist or a family menber. And, the OP could have just as well asked why Republicans call themselves "pro-life", when they are in favor of killing prisonrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 12:02 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Exactly. It's 50/50, even though the woman is the beast of burden. Abortion shouldn't be legal because some women want it to be.
I think you'll find in most polling that the majority of Americans are either "pro-choice", or personally against abortion but support its legality. Those who want a total ban on all forms of abortion are in a small minority.

But about the original question, I actually do find it curious that many people support abortion but not the death penalty. But the fact remains that birth control, contraceptives, and finally abortion are critically important to curbing the already exploding human population.

This planet cannot bear the weight of so many people that advances in science and technology have made possible. So yes, I fully support all three, especially in third world countries whose population are beyond the ability to be supported without outside aid.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:13 AM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
And, the OP could have just as well asked why Republicans call themselves "pro-life", when they are in favor of killing prisonrs.

[mod cut] There you are... I knew you would pop up out of nowhere like a turtle head! I could have asked that... but an innocent baby is not the same thing as a convicted multiple murderer or serial killer, so in that sense a baby is a little different than a friggin death row inmate, ya know?

one (1) baby does not equal one (1) serial killer. Duh!

Last edited by katzenfreund; 10-02-2008 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: NO NAME CALLING!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:14 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,366 times
Quote:
Exactly. It's 50/50, even though the woman is the beast of burden. Abortion shouldn't be legal because some women want it to be.
So maybe all women should vote on the issue then...but only women. Since this has to do with the female body, then we should allow women to vote on the issue and decide.
I think that's fair! If men had something special going on with their bodies, they would not want women to have a say in what goes on and what does not. Leave this up to the women!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I do not know a siongle person, Democrat or whatever, who supports killing babies. People I know support the right of a mother to choose, which is why they call themselves pro-choice.

Every single pro-life person who is in favor of an exception for rape and incest, in those cases "supports killing babies" just as much as any pro-choice person does. Pro-lifers who make an exception for rape and incest all suddenly become pro-choicers when there is a choice of murdering the baby of a rapist or a family menber. And, the OP could have just as well asked why Republicans call themselves "pro-life", when they are in favor of killing prisonrs.
Thank you!!!! I hate to laugh but it is so funny how powerful language can be.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post

This planet cannot bear the weight of so many people that advances in science and technology have made possible. So yes, I fully support all three, especially in third world countries whose population are beyond the ability to be supported without outside aid.
Over population is not an issue. The population of the planet hs going to leap forward, regardless of whether Americans are pro-choice or not. Too many people in general is a very small problem compared to the large increase in the number of small people who will be neglected and grow up to be big people with severe behavioral issues.

The planet can easily support ten billion people who are well-adjusted and contribute meaningfully to the well-being of human civilization. But it cannot even support one billion who are left to crushing destitution and misery that characterizes the life of almost every unwanted child. Making unwanted children live is not doing them any favors.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
J-turd! There you are... I knew you would pop up out of nowhere like a turtle head! I could have asked that... but an innocent baby is not the same thing as a convicted multiple murderer or serial killer, so in that sense a baby is a little different than a friggin death row inmate, ya know?

one (1) baby does not equal one (1) serial killer. Duh!
No name calling!
Keep this on topic and serious! It is a serious discussion and by you calling people names it diminishes the importance of the topic and your credibility!

Old 10-02-2008, 12:21 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
Is this the only argument you have. A hypothetical 10 year old being murdered by a doctor? A 10 year old, who again, can feel pain unlike a 6 week old fetus???
You're setting pain as the criteria. The ten yr old can, but doesn't need to feel pain. So if you can abort him/her/it when they're older, you can give them the chance to be happy and end their unhappiness otherwise.

What's wrong with that?

Quote:
No name calling!
Keep this on topic and serious! It is a serious discussion and by you calling people names it diminishes the importance of the topic and your credibility!
Actually, you're in the forum that tolerates a little body checking.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:28 AM

Because there is no such thing as abortion for a 10 year old! That is murder because it is a person, who has taken a breath of air, their lungs have developed, and their brain has developed. If you believe that 10 is no longer a human being then why argue with the abortion issues?
There is a difference between 10 yrs old and 6 wks old. Mentally, physically, and emotionally. At 6 wks old, none of these things have been developed.
Here is the definition of abortion from Merriam-Webster's dictionary. You will see that it is impossible to abort a child at 10 years old! That is murder! You argument is not making complete sense.
1: the termination of a pregnancy after, accompanied by, resulting in, or closely followed by the death of the embryo or fetus: as a: spontaneous expulsion of a human fetus during the first 12 weeks of gestation — compare miscarriage b: induced expulsion of a human fetus c: expulsion of a fetus by a domestic animal often due to infection at any time before completion of pregnancy — compare contagious abortion
abortion - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Old 10-02-2008, 12:29 AM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Actually, you're in the forum that tolerates a little body checking.
Exactly. Where is fancy fufu (fancofu?)? He is j-turd's good friend...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies