Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 02:25 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,500,054 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK - Wall Street exploded in a historic rally Monday, snapping back from last week’s devastating losses, with the Dow Jones industrial average chalking up its biggest-ever one-day point gain.

The massive gains came after major governments announced further steps to support the global banking system, including plans by the U.S. Treasury to buy stocks of some banks.

The hope on Wall Street was that the market was finding a bottom after eight sessions of devastating losses that sent the Dow down nearly 2,400 points. But while a rebound had been expected at some point, investors can expect to see back-and-forth trading in the coming days and weeks as investors work through their concerns about the banking sector, the stagnant credit markets and the overall economy.

Wall Street explodes in historic one-day surge - Stocks & economy - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 04:53 PM

820 posts, read 1,203,751 times
Another good news story.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbear48 View Post
Another good news story.
with no other replies, .

Old 10-13-2008, 06:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Ok..that put the Dow back to last Thursday..still have Mon-Tues-Wed of last week to make up.
Another great day tomorrow ?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ok..that put the Dow back to last Thursday..still have Mon-Tues-Wed of last week to make up.
Maybe, .

Old 10-13-2008, 08:49 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,455,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Let's hope profit taking doesn't knock it right back down tomorrow. I'd like to see us go into next weekend with the Dow above $10,700 or so, just so things look sustainable.

The depth of monetary commitment by other countries does seem to be a hopeful sign. Can it possibly be that like it or not people are starting to realize that we're all in this together?

Old 10-13-2008, 09:04 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,485,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Let's hope profit taking doesn't knock it right back down tomorrow. I'd like to see us go into next weekend with the Dow above $10,700 or so, just so things look sustainable.

The depth of monetary commitment by other countries does seem to be a hopeful sign. Can it possibly be that like it or not people are starting to realize that we're all in this together?
Hey that's what the Exxon execs said when Congress asked them how they can live with themselves profiting obscenely as people drowned in NOLA. "We all in this together..."

I love that one.

That's like the rapist who tells his victim "believe me this hurts me more than it hurts you..."

I can palate that pathology. What I totally don't get is the dittoheads getting pumped at the pump by their man in full blown denial.

Haha!

They're all a bunch of Harry Whittingtons apologizing to CHeney as he shoots them in the face over and over and over ...

Shoot 'em one more time for me Dick!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies