Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times

Advertisements

I just don't feel that anyone should have to ask the state for permission and a license to sleep with someone. the custody issues should be determined between the couple and a lawyer. usually people can come to a rational decision regarding custody issues. hell, if it's a gay male couple, you have already taken 50% of the irrationality out of the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yes, it's the same thing in reverse. I have the right to marry a woman, but I don't because I'm not heterosexual.

I see your point about taking government out of marriage. Then it would only be a religious institution. But it seems like there needs to be some legal protection when children are involved. What are your thoughts on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 11:10 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
let me ask you a question. all these benefits that married couples get, are they fair to single people? why do we discriminate against them?
Oh come on JM, that's a ridiculous incomparable argument. Single hetero's have the right to marry and receive the same benefits at any time. Gays do not have the right to marry 'gay' to receive said benefits. I hesitate as I type this because I can see someone trying to say well they just have to marry hetero then but it is my sincere hope that no one will go there.

Having said that, I do think it sucks that married people get benefits that single people don't.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:13 AM

I think it's discrimination either way. I also get annoyed that I pay taxes for children to go to school, but only parents get the child tax credit. discrimination shows up in places you least expect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
Oh come on JM, that's a ridiculous incomparable argument. Single hetero's have the right to marry and receive the same benefits at any time. Gays do not have the right to marry 'gay' to receive said benefits. I hesitate as I type this because I can see someone trying to say well they just have to marry hetero then but it is my sincere hope that no one will go there.

Having said that, I do think it sucks that married people get benefits that single people don't.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:14 AM

wouldn't a good start to getting the tax rights be to support a flat tax or the fair tax? no one could complain if we had a simple tax system. it would solve a crap load of problems IMO.

Quote:

Old 10-27-2008, 11:32 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,416 times
Quote:
I think it's discrimination either way. I also get annoyed that I pay taxes for children to go to school, but only parents get the child tax credit. discrimination shows up in places you least expect it.
Oh sure, I'd agree with that and dislike it too.

How about this, my partner as a 'single' person has to subsidize married peoples and families insurance basically by paying more and at the same time she pays all of my health insurance (shared money but you get what I mean). It's a wee bit warped.

Quote:
wouldn't a good start to getting the tax rights be to support a flat tax or the fair tax? no one could complain if we had a simple tax system. it would solve a crap load of problems IMO.
I'm not keen on the fair tax because it's basically a regressive tax on basic food stuffs, clothing, home repair, etc. Anything that we'd normally use and it will tax everyone exactly the same so a loaf of bread taxed at 6% will hit a person making under 40k harder than a person making say over 50k. In that sense its not a fair tax at all. It has the appearance of fairness without the objective reality of fairness. I do however agree that we have to do something different.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:37 AM

I don't know 100% about the fair tax but I know this. everyone pays the same percentage, but the most important percentage is 100%. that is the percentage of the paycheck you get. we already pay 50% in taxes anyway. I think the government hates the idea because it gives the citizens a lot of power. think about it, we could have protested iraq buy going on a spending strike. that's why government doesn't like it.

Quote:
Oh sure, I'd agree with that and dislike it too.

How about this, my partner as a 'single' person has to subsidize married peoples and families insurance basically by paying more and at the same time she pays all of my health insurance (shared money but you get what I mean). It's a wee bit warped.

I'm not keen on the fair tax because it's basically a regressive tax on basic food stuffs, clothing, home repair, etc. Anything that we'd normally use and it will tax everyone exactly the same so a loaf of bread taxed at 6% will hit a person making under 40k harder than a person making say over 50k. In that sense its not a fair tax at all. It has the appearance of fairness without the objective reality of fairness. I do however agree that we have to do something different.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:50 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
no, they said some rude sexual stuff to me and when I looked at them in disgust, they tried to start a fight with me.
Hmm. The same thing happened to me when I walked by a bunch of construction guys... and I'm a female. Sorry to break it to you, but it's not a strictly homosexual thing. People can be rude regardless of sexual orientation.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:00 PM

of course they can. I was just answering the question that was asked of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Hmm. The same thing happened to me when I walked by a bunch of construction guys... and I'm a female. Sorry to break it to you, but it's not a strictly homosexual thing. People can be rude regardless of sexual orientation.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:21 PM

225 posts, read 342,298 times
While it is not written anywhere explicitly, government financially and socially encourages marriage for stability, support and child rearing. Gay couples never get to take advantage of that encouragement since government does not condone marriage between same-sex couples. Is there any reason it should not? No one gets hurt - children in gay households deserve all those advantages too, right?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:22 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
someone help me out here. oh, and I'll be the first one to say it. "oh look, another gay thread."
I can tell this thread is gay, because of the drapes.

You go girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies