Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:32 AM

23,178 posts, read 26,309,157 times

Advertisements

Most of you will give many instances of how the government has 'given away' or spent tax money on programs ....the war...the bailout...Haliburton, etc in defense of your position that we conservatives should not object to giving it to "YOU" instead.

OK. I do not disagree at all that billions are spent all the way from unwisely to criminally but......that is EXACTLY why I do not want the government to have any more control over a penny more from me, you, business or anybody else.

How can you possibly trust that re-distribusion ,health care....any new liberal program...will result in new dollars being spent any more wisely?

How can you want more control ? How can you trust a "financial manager" that has proved time and time again to be so incompetent??

If you take another $1 from big business/higher wage earners, how much of that do you really think will find it's way into 'your' pocket?

Oh...it will, for sure, leave the pocket of those that had it.But do you really trust that it will not be almost totally reduced to almost nothing by expenses
I feel we are almost reaching the point where government exists only to perpetuate itself.

It seems to me that you just aren't going to be satified.....not when everybody is a 'has' but not until everybody is a 'has not'.
And that's where we're headed.

Can you name ANY program run by the government that is not riddled with cost overruns, fraud, mis-management , inability to stay within budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 07:40 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,269,559 times
You apparently believe that if the government had appointed Halliburton to run the entire war, it would have saved us money and been done more efficiently. Is that correct? You are perfeftly happy with your cable company and your car insurance company? Do you have any idea how many retirees are living on their government Social Security, but their private pension has been stolen? Did you know that when woot.com ships me a purchase, it gets picked up by Fed-Ex, and then Fed-Ex takes it to the post office and mails it to me? Who are the only health insurers that do not exclude pre-existing conditions? Medicare and Medicaid. If your house is on fire, do you want to phone AOL's 800-number?

Last edited by jtur88; 11-02-2008 at 07:55 AM..

Old 11-02-2008, 08:15 AM

I'm not sure where my cable company and ins co enter into this.Are you suggesting you want that to be under govnm't control too???

Fed Ex is a private business that prefers to make, rather than lose money.
It is more economical for Fed Ex to pay and hand off some packages to the USPS rather than deliver themselves at a higher cost since USPS visits every mailbox every delivery day.
Gee...imagine! A sound business practice.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:30 AM

Did you read your own post? Where you said the private sector does the job more efficiently than the public sector? And then you can't figure out why the private sector's efficiency "would enter into this"?

Somebody please explain it to him. I give up. He doesn't want it explained. Try to use one-syllable words.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:45 AM

You are going to leave before telling me of one program the government runs efficiently?
Or did you mention some using multi-syllable words I didn't understand?

Old 11-02-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You are going to leave before telling me of one program the government runs efficiently?
Or did you mention some using multi-syllable words I didn't understand?
Read it again, this time with comprehension. I mentioned Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, the post office and the fire department---none of which have gone bankrupt or stolen anybody's pension, or refused to serve any entitlted person, or failed anybody in any other way. I don't know how to say "social security" in one-syllable words.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:17 AM

Oh my, you are a sour little snit aren't you?OK

Now how 'bout YOU reading with comprehension.
"ANY program run by the government that is not riddled with cost overruns, fraud, mis-management , inability to stay within budget"

You state: "none of which have gone bankrupt or stolen anybody's pension, or refused to serve any entitlted person, or failed anybody in any other way. "

The USPS is independently run.
Many fire departments are volunteer and, if not, operated under local governments, not the federal government.
SS is worse then bankrupt...it survives on the hopeful prospect of future monies. Medicare .Do you actually know what expenses "free" Medicare covers?
Do you know how much other coverage one must buy to have adequate medical expense coverage?
I could give you many examples of it's inefficiency too, but doubt you'd understand my one syallble grunts.
Medicaid is an income eligible and state based program and refuses many people I'd bet you think are entitled..

In fact," none of which have gone bankrupt".......

Can you comprehend the 3 syllable word deficit?
Do you understand where the money to run the government comes from?
Do you comprehend the term "within the budget"
How old are you?
(Slapping myself upside the head and asking why I let myself get sucked into this one

Old 11-02-2008, 12:07 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,543,463 times
Quote:
The USPS is independently run.
By the executive branch of the federal government.

Quote:
SS is worse then bankrupt...it survives on the hopeful prospect of future monies.
I'm glad you've done such a thorough analysis.

Quote:
Medicaid is an income eligible and state based program and refuses many people I'd bet you think are entitled.
It's a joint federal- and state-funded program managed by states to provide medical care to targeted indigent and low-income families, children, seniors, and disabled individuals. I think those who meet state and federal requirements are those who are entitled.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:12 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,576,831 times
I'm not sure how "why give the government more money to mismanage" turned into "let's privatize all services." Seems a bit off-topic.

Btw, believe me when I say if you have to choose between Medicare/Medicaid and private insurance, you'll be wanting the private insurance.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:30 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,449,191 times
Quote:
Most of you will give many instances of how the government has 'given away' or spent tax money on programs ....the war...the bailout...Haliburton, etc in defense of your position that we conservatives should not object to giving it to "YOU" instead.

OK. I do not disagree at all that billions are spent all the way from unwisely to criminally but......that is EXACTLY why I do not want the government to have any more control over a penny more from me, you, business or anybody else.

How can you possibly trust that re-distribusion ,health care....any new liberal program...will result in new dollars being spent any more wisely?

How can you want more control ? How can you trust a "financial manager" that has proved time and time again to be so incompetent??

If you take another $1 from big business/higher wage earners, how much of that do you really think will find it's way into 'your' pocket?

Oh...it will, for sure, leave the pocket of those that had it.But do you really trust that it will not be almost totally reduced to almost nothing by expenses
I feel we are almost reaching the point where government exists only to perpetuate itself.

It seems to me that you just aren't going to be satified.....not when everybody is a 'has' but not until everybody is a 'has not'.
And that's where we're headed.

Can you name ANY program run by the government that is not riddled with cost overruns, fraud, mis-management , inability to stay within budget?
This is an old argument and so tired. As Obama said, it is not about bigger government or smaller government, but SMARTER government.

I think it became very clear that whatever solutions exist, Republicans DO NOT have them. This was clearly evident over the last 8 years. Republicans always have more answers than questions and unfortunately for them, the answers have been more WRONG than right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies