Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How close would you want to live near a nuclear power plant?
I wouldnt mind living within 10 miles of a nuke 39 56.52%
I wouldnt mind living within 25 miles of a nuke 8 11.59%
I wouldnt mind living within 50 miles of a nuke 7 10.14%
I wouldnt mind living within 100 miles of a nuke 3 4.35%
I wouldnt want one within 100 miles of my home 12 17.39%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 11:05 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
How close would be acceptable to you for a new nuclear plant to be built near your home.

I already live within 25 miles of a nuke plant, and I work there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 08:22 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Darn better tell the boss I've been screwing up the fuel effiency reports on the CT.......
Either that or tell GE that you've found a way to defy thermodynamics. They will have to incorporate it into their sales literature for the "new and improved" Frame 7.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:50 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
How close would be acceptable to you for a new nuclear plant to be built near your home.

If they make me the right offer they can put it in my basement

Old 11-01-2008, 03:18 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Either that or tell GE that you've found a way to defy thermodynamics. They will have to incorporate it into their sales literature for the "new and improved" Frame 7.
we've been getting 40-47% on the lms 100 and the steam side has been getting30% easy so 70 to 77% sorry if I was off a few..........

Old 11-01-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
we've been getting 40-47% on the lms 100 and the steam side has been getting30% easy so 70 to 77% sorry if I was off a few..........
I had heard that the LM 100 had a good heat rate. I haven't seen one in operation.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:32 PM

24 posts, read 61,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Your Dad's wrong about solar and wind. Wind has an insignificant footprint. Farmers just work around the bases. Distributed solar will most often be located on existing rooftops. The issue with nuclear is cost and risk. The hold up right now isn't government regulation, it's corporate boards of directors who are nervous about the $9 Billion price tag.
There is quite a bit of evidence that wind turbines, depending on the type and location, are damaging to some bird species. I believe that was what he was referring to. For instance, I know that wind turbines on West Virginia mountaintops have decimated local bat populations (I heard this on an NPR special a while back, sorry I can't seem to find a link.)
And you must also consider what you have in a given area; some areas of the country just aren't very sunny OR windy. And the cost of solar or wind power would increase a great deal because you have to take into account the poor efficiency.
Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not anti solar or anti wind; I think we need a mix of everything right now, to increase output and to better evaluate which forms work best. But we as an entire country need to be smart and look at facts and make wise, informed decisions instead of relying on an emotional response.
This article is an interesting glimpse into the psychology involved with nuclear energy in France. They rely heavily on nuclear energy, and nuclear energy does not have the stigma there that it does here. Personally I don't think it's a great permanent solution, but a decent one until something better is discovered.

FRONTLINE: nuclear reaction: Why the French Like Nuclear Energy

Last edited by emmank; 11-01-2008 at 05:49 PM..

Old 11-01-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmank View Post
There is quite a bit of evidence that wind turbines, depending on the type and location, are damaging to some bird species. I believe that was what he was referring to. For instance, I know that wind turbines on West Virginia mountaintops have decimated local bat populations (I heard this on an NPR special a while back, sorry I can't seem to find a link.)
And you must also consider what you have in a given area; some areas of the country just aren't very sunny OR windy. And the cost of solar or wind power would increase a great deal because you have to take into account the poor efficiency.
Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not anti solar or anti wind; I think we need a mix of everything right now, to increase output and to better evaluate which forms work best. But we as an entire country need to be smart and look at facts and make wise, informed decisions instead of relying on an emotional response.
This article is an interesting glimpse into the psychology involved with nuclear energy in France. They rely heavily on nuclear energy, and nuclear energy does not have the stigma there that it does here. Personally I don't think it's a great permanent solution, but a decent one until something better is discovered.

FRONTLINE: nuclear reaction: Why the French Like Nuclear Energy
You're listening to the 1/2 truths. If you're worried about birds, get rid of house cats. Wind turbine siting studies usually extend over at least two breeding and migrating seasons for both birds and bats. There have been a few units sited inappropriately, in hindsight, but you can count them on one hand. Not every place has solar and not every place has wind, but every place has some renewable resource. We need to wean our economy from the impact of relying on extraction-based fuels. It's unsustainable.

Nuclear's problem is convincing a board of directors to go on the hook for a $9 Billion bet the ranch venture.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
here is the thing about Solar and Wind generation. They are COMPLETELY subject to geographic location. With wind generators more specifically residential size, they must be located 30' above any object within 300', this means other wind generators, which can cause air turbulence, effecting the production of the other generators within 300'. They have a short life. The generator has to have a steady wind, 10mph. Wind gusts are NOT going to net a good result in terms of energy production. and you have days where there is no wind. Well tough luck for energy production Solar, is very expensive unless you live in an area where there are massive rebates (Excel energy zones for instance give 55% rebate) The quantity of panels 3' x 5' needed to replace your energy consumption is extremely high. We have one home we finished the designs on that has 87!!! panels on the roof, they are producing 125-140% of the energy needed for that home. The panels weight add up and homes need to have the engineering of the roof looked at to see if the trusses will support the weight. If not the roof must be reinforced, or the trusses may have to be designed with larger lumber for new home construction. The area around the house must be designed very carefully. A shadow over one of the panels will reduce the production of the system by 80%!!! yes, they are strung up like xmas lights, one goes out they all do. This is going to GREATLY limit Architectural designs, if you thought Mcmansions and your typically spec home was bad, just wait. Next for solar you really need to look at location. A solar array is NOT going to be good in Seattle, whereas Denver is a GREAT choice, Denver enjoys 360 days of sunshine, Seattle is well..... I have never seen it not be cloudy.

Actually, there is a solar company that when they reach roduction expect the cost to fall to 25 cents a watt. Theirs is a light weight film, thin and flexible it isn't the solar power of your father. As to wind. Helix wind generators can operate on 3 mph of wind. They are helical in shape and again not the windmills of your father. The technologies are improving greatly. does the wind blow 100% of the time... no but it can certainly be used in many places and generate more than what we have now. Coastal areas can also employ tidal sources for energy. Geothermal may have its place but earthquake concerns may eliminate it as a possible. Employ the Pickens appproach in the wind belt. but use the other low level approaches for the individual homes and businesses and you will dramatically reduce our dependence on the large coal and nuke plants. Move our cars to electric and hydrogen and guess what ... we cut the oil pipeline. Then we will use oil for plastics and the other things besides burning itup in cars. Can you imagine what would happen to the price of oil if the us didn't need it? Can you imagine what we might be able to sell to developing nations in the lines of solar and wind technologies? The potential is great. is one means a cure all? no but in combination it can change the way we power our country.
In architecture there is a phenomena with commercial buildings that they generate a great deal of wind. I expect we could integrate that principle with the helical generators and make the cityscapes yet another venue for power. We are only limited by our imaginations and dated thinking. Russia got to experience what a full scale nuclear disaster is all about. they lost a lot of people and have a massive parcel of land that is unusable. Americans thinmk they are so much better and moore careful, and then you have 3-mile island. As long as there is corporate greed people will be placed at risk..... Wall street bailout shows greed is still with us. If you think your desires or importance will be placed before a large company you are delusional. Face it if you left your job today you would not be missed tomorrow. The machine moves on with no concern for the people that make it. If we don't direct the machine to move the direction we need then it will not be in our best interest.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
I direct the machine to go nuclear...

Old 11-07-2008, 04:30 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
I live about 15 miles from Limerick, no problem here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies