Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:16 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,854,688 times

Advertisements

patents have to do with the high cost of health care. I have already suggesting privatizing prisons. I didn't say the one scam would be acceptable. it's how you weed out failure. yes, be an informed consumer. you are so incredibly dependent on everyone else providing goods and services for you that you are totally lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The FAA is responsible for passenger checks?

One bad day and we should give up? Drop the ball once and disband the team? Should have disbanded the country years ago then.

A bank might not have business after it scammed its customers but that one scam is acceptable?

Jail? WHAT jail? Who will pay if the government's sole responsibility is defense?

Be an informed consumer? HOW if manufacturer's aren't required to inform you? Want to set up your own testing lab? For EVERYTHING you must deal with in life?

And patents have NOTHING to do with allowing you reasonable assurance the drugs you buy are relatively safe.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:17 AM

this isn't a 9-11 thread. you want to talk about that, there are plenty of threads for it. stick to topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Oh yeah, the FAA did a great job on 9/11 by allowing the whole bin laden family and entourage to leave the United States, without being questioned about their knowledge of the attack, and without being questioned about bin laden's whereabouts, class act that's difficult to follow.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:18 AM

this is not a Mod cut katrina thread. Mod cut-personal you also aren't making a good case for your beloved federal government.

Quote:
Nagin ordered the city be evacuated 22 hours before the hurricane made landfall. people ignored the evacuation notice and became trapped by flood waters, or, people did not have the ways or means to evacuate, and the federal government took 36 hours to respond to the disaster. the feds dropped the ball.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 11-01-2008 at 01:34 PM..

Old 11-01-2008, 09:20 AM

social security should be terminated. I do save for my own retirement. I will never be dependent on social security. you can't live off it.

Quote:
It's difficult getting on the same page with you.
yes, we Americans DO PAY for ENTITLEMENTS, they are not free, as you pointed out in one of your previous posts, life liberety pursuit of happiness, are consitutional rights of every American.
you titled this thread, and we are entitled to. if everyone knows what Americans are entitled to, why did you start this thread? sounds to me like you're making a mountain out of a molehill. entitlements are NOT 'THE BILL OF RIGHTS', entitlements are different than the bill of rights, as in the constitution.
It appears as if you have a twisted view and conception and have trouble distinguishing between the bill of rights (constitution) and "entitlements".
entitlements are usually government provided and the taxpayer is usually the beneficiary of the entitlements and paid for by the taxpayer, as I tried to point out to you, but you perceive things differently, perhaps twisted perception? social security: people pay into social security, a government agency, and hope to retire someday with social security retirement benefits because, they are (entitled to it)
people pay into a government fund called medicare: and hope to reap the benefits of medicare health care benefits, an (entitlement) so, entitlements are not, the bill of rights, or the constitution necessarily. yes, we as Americans are entitled to the rights of liberty, the pusuit of happiness, as outlined in the consitution, but these are not necessarily (entitlements) and if you thought they were when you started this thread, you should have been more specific.
Unemployment compensation you'd like to see it, gotten rid of?
Postal Service acquires revenue from selling stamps?
3% paid into medicare by you? if you're afraid you won't last that long, better get yourself some healthcare coverage too, and save up for your own retirement, if you should live so long, learn to be, self sufficient.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:53 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,483,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
what exactly? name the things that you think that the government should provide to all of the citizens of the country.

A stimulus check, a rebate check, a tax refund, more tax exemptions, exemption on labor, a [few] bar[s]s of gold from Fort Knox, a fiscally responsible government, no property tax....

Just to name a few...

Old 11-01-2008, 10:19 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
We are entitled to the benefits from society that we organized it in the first place for. Whether you want to frame those under establishing justice, insuring domestic tranquility, promoting the general welfare, or merely as part of securing the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, we are entitled to ask -- and pay the costs of -- a great deal from society. Contending otherwise is an irrational position. One born from greed and -- as has been suggested -- from simple and irrational fear.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:27 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
what exactly? name the things that you think that the government should provide to all of the citizens of the country.
Common defense, postal system, protection of the basic rights found in the Constitution. That is it.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:37 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
We are entitled to the benefits from society that we organized it in the first place for. Whether you want to frame those under establishing justice, insuring domestic tranquility, promoting the general welfare, or merely as part of securing the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, we are entitled to ask -- and pay the costs of -- a great deal from society. Contending otherwise is an irrational position. One born from greed and -- as has been suggested -- from simple and irrational fear.

Exactly! Thank You!

I prefer living in the 21st century, apparently many would prefer the 17th, where they'd pay to be 'defended' and nothing else. Personally, I think I'd find the raw sewage flowing down the gutters distasteful, I'll gladly continue paying taxes so I'm entitled to sewage treatment and other things that many apparently consider needless luxuries.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:58 AM

you are one of those who prefers to live in the 17th. we went to war over taxation. we came for religious freedom, and republicans crap morals down our throat. you ARE living in the 17th century, you just haven't realized it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Exactly! Thank You!

I prefer living in the 21st century, apparently many would prefer the 17th, where they'd pay to be 'defended' and nothing else. Personally, I think I'd find the raw sewage flowing down the gutters distasteful, I'll gladly continue paying taxes so I'm entitled to sewage treatment and other things that many apparently consider needless luxuries.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:12 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,831 times
Quote:
This Government, this administration does nothing. it only caters to the rich and affluent, except in cases of hurricanes, and except for louisana, which it did nothing for, and, let people fend for themselves, who needed rescuing, food, shelter, clothing, food, water, this administration ignored that state totally, why?
people are entitled to help from the Government when they need it, and not to bail corporations or banks out of trouble either. how's that for hijacking a right-wing biased thread?
This governement has spent more on social programs for the poor in the last 70 years than it has on defense in 225 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies