Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 12:16 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,328,363 times

Advertisements

Stay on topic or you'll be told by jmarquise about it.
Thread is supposed to be about "ENTITLEMENTS"
You're a person that is wise, what is the difference between entitlements and social programs? they look the same to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
This governement has spent more on social programs for the poor in the last 70 years than it has on defense in 225 years.

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 11-01-2008 at 12:42 PM..

Old 11-01-2008, 12:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,084,458 times
So, 26 of the 77 posts on this thread (one third of them) are from the moderat9or? Is that the job of the moderator, to troll the threads?

Old 11-01-2008, 01:47 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,651,877 times
Ummm, what gave you all the idea that Jmarquise was a moderator. You as posters may feel free to ask people to stay on topic. Just because a poster asks this does not mean they are a moderator. It just means they wish to continue talking about the topic at hand. Most Mods have a star beside their name like the one you will see next to mine. J is a poster just like the rest of you. And, its Mr. Jmarquise. Not Ms.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:47 PM

656 posts, read 1,310,742 times
I agree that Govt. should provide defense for us!! I do not believe that govt. should be my daddy!! I want to work hard to provide for me and mine. and less govt. involved in my life the better. stop trying to dig into my paycheck to help out others sorry if that sounds mean. but they too should get off their a** and work hard like I do. as for orpahns and widows. I believe individuals will rise to the occasion to help them out. as it has always been done. but i do not believe that it should be forced upon anyone to work harder so others don't have to. Also, If people's welfare and lives rest solely on their efforts they would rise to the occasion.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:38 PM

713 posts, read 1,867,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Exactly! Thank You!

I prefer living in the 21st century, apparently many would prefer the 17th, where they'd pay to be 'defended' and nothing else. Personally, I think I'd find the raw sewage flowing down the gutters distasteful, I'll gladly continue paying taxes so I'm entitled to sewage treatment and other things that many apparently consider needless luxuries.
Sewage systems, water systems, air traffic control, etc are all examples of infrastructure, a legitimate government operation. I don't think most people advocating smaller government are suggesting we get rid of basic infrastructure.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:00 PM

It's just my opinion, but, I think some people are confused as to what government entitlements are. I don't think air quality, air traffic management, water and waste systems, or infrastructure have anything to do with entitlements. to me, an entitlement means that if I've paid into a system, be it privatized retirement or healthcare funds, or government run, we should expect something in return from it should we become ill, or live long enough to receive benefits from the fund we've paid into. By definition, entitlement: I've given or paid for this or that, and I expect some return of what I've bought and paid for. I also think it's the same for paying taxes. if one pays property taxes, he or she expects the city or state to keep the infrastructure of the city or state in good repair. but, I don't consider paying taxes into the system, and expecting something back from it, in dollars. taxes have to be paid for national defense, street repairs, and so forth, therefore, nothing is really free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Sewage systems, water systems, air traffic control, etc are all examples of infrastructure, a legitimate government operation. I don't think most people advocating smaller government are suggesting we get rid of basic infrastructure.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:12 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,651,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Stay on topic or you'll be told by jmarquise about it.
Thread is supposed to be about "ENTITLEMENTS"
You're a person that is wise, what is the difference between entitlements and social programs? they look the same to me.
Entitlements would be something you are absolutely entitled too. Social programs are essentially voluntary government aid programs which you are not entitled to according to the Constitution. Its a fairly simple concept.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:21 PM

Name one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Entitlements would be something you are absolutely entitled too.
Name one.
Quote:
Social programs are essentially voluntary government aid programs which you are not entitled to according to the Constitution.
Quote:
Its a fairly simple concept.
I can simply name one or two of each. can you?
Entitlements are social security or medicare benefits even if you've only worked 1 year of your life.
Social programs are food stamps, and / or heating or utility assistance programs for the poor.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:49 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,149,199 times
I think that as tax-paying citizens of the U.S. we are entitled to programs, be they entitlements or social programs, that actually work! And obviously, so many of ours don't, at least from a fiscally sound perspective.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:37 AM

56 posts, read 104,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
what exactly? name the things that you think that the government should provide to all of the citizens of the country.

We are entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Not happiness stamps. Not a department of happiness. Pursuit. It's an active verb. --- credit to Newt Gingrich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.