Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 11:40 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,722 times

Advertisements

I've written on a few real estate threads about difficulty in dealing with the banks on foreclosed real estate. it seems to me that banks aren't that worried about the growing number of empty homes sitting on their books. it also seems to me that they're hiding the numbers.

does the bailout have anything to do with this? how can the banks afford to hold onto so many empty properties? would these properties be forced to auction if the banks weren't bailed out? is the government doing the same thing in the real estate market that they did in agriculture during the Great Depression namely limiting supply to prop up prices? is it fair that so many people are homeless because banks have been given a cushion with which to withold Real Estate from the free market pricing mechanism?

can anyone explain why some members of the republican party went for this including mccain? can the pro bailout crowd please explain why this is a good thing?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laland/2008/08/whats-up----or.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 04:14 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,273 times
Banks are not hiding their OREOs. Banks don't want to own real estate either. Banks are not real estate agencies, and an OREO is an nonearning asset that directly affects the bank's financial condition.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:25 PM

105 posts, read 214,268 times
Maybe the banks are glutted with the inventory. Maybe they don't know how to deal with this mess. After all they are not Real Estate professionals they are banking professionals. Modern blight. Let's do this all around the world.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:28 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
Banks are holding back Real Estate. I have been looking to buy some more property and the amount of foreclosures coming onto the market has dropped significantly. My Realtor has told me that the Banks are now holding inventory back to get better prices on a Govt. Bail out.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:29 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,273 times
Holding back is different than hiding off their books. There are bank examiners that will keep them from hiding real estate.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:29 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
bailouts lol, americans wont be stuck with the bill.....americans need to revolt and riot against their goverment like europeans do

Old 11-01-2008, 09:24 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Banks are holding back Real Estate
You might be interested in this article:

Bank of America agrees to halt 2,000 foreclosures in the Valley

Bank of America, which last summer bought the nation's largest subprime lender, Countrywide, has suspended foreclosure notices pending against nearly 2,000 homes across the Valley in the past week in an effort to help homeowners hold on to their property. And relief for even more homeowners is expected to follow

Old 11-01-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You might be interested in this article:

Bank of America, which last summer bought the nation's largest subprime lender, Countrywide, has suspended foreclosure notices pending against nearly 2,000 homes across the Valley in the past week in an effort to help homeowners hold on to their property. And relief for even more homeowners is expected to follow

i have no problem with a bank making a decision with its own money. to prop up prices with tax payer money is immoral. what obama, mccain and most of the establishment fail to understand is that real estate is heavily out of whack and for every homeowner who is underwater there is another who has been priced out of the market. the government needs to allow the free market to price real estate and make housing affordable again.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:03 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
i have no problem with a bank making a decision with its own money. to prop up prices with tax payer money is immoral. what obama, mccain and most of the establishment fail to understand is that real estate is heavily out of whack and for every homeowner who is underwater there is another who has been priced out of the market. the government needs to allow the free market to price real estate and make housing affordable again.
You think BofA did this with "their money"? Think again

Old 11-01-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You think BofA did this with "their money"? Think again

i know they didn't that is why i'm so incensed! i have not bought for years because i knew real estate was overpriced and due a correction. i rented and saved waiting for a better opportunity. now the government is not allowing that to happen.

i listen to obama/mccain talk about living wages. the only reason wages need to go up is because they're not allowing prices to come down. i find it really frustrating that renters are being forced out of their homes because their landlord's been foreclosed on. the worst thing about that is that these homes aren't been forced to marklet like they should be. instead they're just rotting away empty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies