Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:57 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I don't share the view of some that anyone that is a hard working blue class worker their entire life...............

Who are 'some"?
I doubt you'll find many who share that view.
Is this the reason for such devisiveness? A true lack of understanding between people when discussing segments of the population?
Could very well be. Not everyone in society can be the Top Dog or the Go-To Guy at the company. Lots of Worker Bees are needed. And there may be a few bad apples in those worker bees. Having some years of experience in manufacturing now however, I find in general most worker bees want to do a good job and provide as best they can for their families. There are many deserving worker bees that get passed up for promotions.

Too many posts imply that anyone making a working class wage doesn't have ambition to do better for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 09:05 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
But then shocker!! The Executives at the Company (those "Evil Corporate Types") decide that they will do better to explore new markets and take advantage of cheaper labor and infrastructure. This will bump up next Quarter's stock and earn them some nice bonus checks. So they move Man number two's entire division to Shenzhen China. Man number 2 is laid off even though he is a real "go-to" guy. Man number two now finds that many of the competitors in his field are doing the same thing and his years of experience in the field don't seem too mean much anymore. He is now middle aged and it is difficult to start over doing something new in a different field. The overall economy is trending downward and corporate jobs are getting chopped en masse. Man number 2's daughter has diabetes but man number 2 can no longer afford her medical treatment. Man number 2's house is now worth less than what he paid for it and his 401k has shrunk due in part to the deregulation of the finance industry. Man number 2 starts to realize that even though he as an individual has worked damn hard his whole life and made all the right moves that he could, the system has failed him. He understands that at some point a civilized society means it is more than just the sum of all its individual parts. Man number 2 all of a sudden needs some of the help he was providing earlier to man number 1 and man number 2 feels like a donkey's rear for feeling so entitled before.

WOW! Great post , nice to see a heavy dose of reality!

Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 AM

218 posts, read 468,717 times
Default I think I am missing the point!

I am not rich by any means and I do work my arse off. I work 10-13 hours 6 days a week and might have to get another job. BUT I to do not like the fact that the gov. will take from someone is has been successful to give to someone who prefers to sit on his arse and wait for a handout. I do not mind helping the elderly or handicap. To provide a way out to help someone is a lot better than just giving them something for nothing. Would you like to get a check from the gov. once a year, or would you like the tools you need to support yourself, so you can get that check once a week? I see people that do not want to work because they get that check once a month. But they do have two cars, they do have two computers, cable with all the movie channels, two or more cell phones so they can be reach if needed, go out to the movies every week-end. BUT they have no money for health insurance, or to better their life. Can you tell me their priorities? Can you tell me how the gov is going to determine who gets help and who don't. Mr Obama said you have to work to get help thru him, but how much can someone work just one day a week than make enough so he or she don't bother to look for a job? Mr Obama is going to be sending the wrong message to these weak people. It is the American dream to make yourself what you can. It will be the American nightmare to let the gov do it for you.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:36 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,686 times
Maybe if the damn rich poor divide in the country would stop getting wider and wider and wider, the government wouldn't find a need to keep taxing the rich. I mean, if the top 5% keep taking ALL the money, where the hell do you think the government is going to get its taxes from? The middle class guy who just had his home taken away, lost his job because it was shipped overseas, lost his 401k in the stock market, and who just got a bill for 20,000 from the local hospital because he couldn't afford insurance OR is the government gonna get it from the family that just bought their second or third home?

Old 11-02-2008, 09:48 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,420,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toosday View Post
Yes, it used to be someone else's money, but "someone else" now has a good or service to show for that money.

Are you saying that you expect the OP to provide whatever good or service he provides for free?

Surely, that is not how you feel capitalism works.

Was he supposed to trade his good and service for food? Clothes? Wampum?

Likewise, with his salary, surely the OP doesn't hoard every blessed dime. The OP spends, and therefore, many, many people probably have their share of the OP's money as well.

I don't understand your point.

I also don't understand your leap to equating the OP with a junk bond salesman or day trader. BTW, who cares if he is a day trader?
and to add, surely he employs people and pays them a fair wage for their hard work as well.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:54 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,420,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorasbox View Post
I am not rich by any means and I do work my arse off. I work 10-13 hours 6 days a week and might have to get another job. BUT I to do not like the fact that the gov. will take from someone is has been successful to give to someone who prefers to sit on his arse and wait for a handout. I do not mind helping the elderly or handicap. To provide a way out to help someone is a lot better than just giving them something for nothing. Would you like to get a check from the gov. once a year, or would you like the tools you need to support yourself, so you can get that check once a week? I see people that do not want to work because they get that check once a month. But they do have two cars, they do have two computers, cable with all the movie channels, two or more cell phones so they can be reach if needed, go out to the movies every week-end. BUT they have no money for health insurance, or to better their life. Can you tell me their priorities? Can you tell me how the gov is going to determine who gets help and who don't. Mr Obama said you have to work to get help thru him, but how much can someone work just one day a week than make enough so he or she don't bother to look for a job? Mr Obama is going to be sending the wrong message to these weak people. It is the American dream to make yourself what you can. It will be the American nightmare to let the gov do it for you.
to summarize in short

"give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

Old 11-02-2008, 09:58 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
to summarize in short

"give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"
Yah that is all well and good unless the guy with the huge boat and fishing nets didn't happen to come along and clean the lake out of fish.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:17 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,311,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
Two men are hired by a company. One man works just enough to keep himself from being fired. The second man works harder, studies in his off time to learn more about his vocation, and takes personal responsibility for the quality of the projects he's assigned.
Moderator: Can you change my user name to "Man#2"?

Old 11-02-2008, 11:22 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
Two men are hired by a company. One man works just enough to keep himself from being fired. The second man works harder, studies in his off time to learn more about his vocation, and takes personal responsibility for the quality of the projects he's assigned.

Five years later both men are still with the company. The first man is paid about the same as he was the day he was hired. There are others who would love to have his job, and who would perform better, but the company's HR policies make it nearly impossible for him to be let go. He's now married, has two children, and--with high fuel prices, groceries and inflation--is complaining that he can no longer make ends meet. He's voting for Obama because he hates the rich corporate types who hired him and thinks their wealth should be spread around.

Meanwhile, the second man has nearly doubled his salary. He's now the go-to guy for the department. His labor was instrumental in reducing the company's waste and improving their products in a number of ways. But his reward is actually double: not only does he now earn more and produce more, but he also gets to pay more taxes than man number one. He gets to do his part for the greater good by ensuring that the first guy's wife and ill-mannered children get to buy more Twinkies this year. He knows this for sure because man number one received a sizeable economic stimulus check, for which man number two footed the bill. Man number two didn't qualify for one of the checks.

Man number two has concern for the poorest people of the world--the people in the most remote parts of China, the orphans in Romania, the refugees from the Congo--but something called common sense tells ambitious man number two that no matter how much of his money his government confiscates, very little if any of it will ever reach these people. He knows beyond doubt that much of the taxes he pays are wasted or used to line the pockets of the most unscrupulous and ruthless people imaginable. He knows that his money could do so much more through private charity, perhaps helping to directly fund aid workers to dig wells, administer medicine or setup classrooms; however, the reality is that the fruits of his labor will be used to breed a new generation of guy number ones.
Excellent post!

Wish I could rep you but apparently there's a limit to how much rep I can give in a 24 hour period. Sheesh!

Old 11-02-2008, 02:15 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
But then shocker!! The Executives at the Company (those "Evil Corporate Types") decide that they will do better to explore new markets and take advantage of cheaper labor and infrastructure. This will bump up next Quarter's stock and earn them some nice bonus checks. So they move Man number two's entire division to Shenzhen China. Man number 2 is laid off even though he is a real "go-to" guy. Man number two now finds that many of the competitors in his field are doing the same thing and his years of experience in the field don't seem too mean much anymore. He is now middle aged and it is difficult to start over doing something new in a different field. The overall economy is trending downward and corporate jobs are getting chopped en masse. Man number 2's daughter has diabetes but man number 2 can no longer afford her medical treatment. Man number 2's house is now worth less than what he paid for it and his 401k has shrunk due in part to the deregulation of the finance industry. Man number 2 starts to realize that even though he as an individual has worked damn hard his whole life and made all the right moves that he could, the system has failed him. He understands that at some point a civilized society means it is more than just the sum of all its individual parts. Man number 2 all of a sudden needs some of the help he was providing earlier to man number 1 and man number 2 feels like a donkey's rear for feeling so entitled before.
Great illustration - thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies