Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Feel Right At Home Living In A City Where Less Than 10% Of Population Belong To The Same R
No I Would Not And I Am White 89 39.04%
Yes I Would And I Am White 97 42.54%
No I Would Not And I Am Black 13 5.70%
Yes I Would And I Am Black 22 9.65%
No I Would Not And I Am Hispanic 0 0%
Yes I Would And I Am Hispanic 7 3.07%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 05:23 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times

Advertisements

I went from 99% white to about .001% white. No issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 05:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso_Castillo View Post
Wow According to the Poll Hispanics are the Less Racists of all, while the Whites are the most racist, quite alike to what we already know. so this forum is a good image of the **** out there in the real world.
So you think any white person who says they'd prefer not to live in a city where whites represent 10% of the population are racist?

A lot of black folks have said they prefer to hang out/live with other black folks. I don't think you've ever commented that it's racist.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:13 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
I couldn't care less about race but I wouldn't want to live in a place where only 10% of the people were of the same culture as myself.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:15 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Find your crowd and you can be happy anywhere.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:23 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I couldn't care less about race but I wouldn't want to live in a place where only 10% of the people were of the same culture as myself.
Please, indulge me. How do you define your culture?

Old 07-14-2018, 06:25 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
There should be another poll asking how many people in the originally poll lied to make themselves feel and look better and to appear to be politically correct.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:33 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Pretty sure I will be quite comfortable in Cebu, May 2020

Old 07-14-2018, 07:16 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post

Let me tell you what it isn't. It's not Hispanic, Asian, Muslim, etc. It's people who's native language is English for one thing or at least speak it as their primary language of usage.

Last edited by Oldglory; 07-14-2018 at 07:27 PM..

Old 07-14-2018, 08:08 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Once again, the Asians are left out. And why I don't consider myself a "person of colour" or supportive of any of their causes.

And yes, I would feel very comfortable living in a city where less than 10% of the population is Asian. I do it all of the time!!!

However, I self-identify as a person living the CULTURE of a white middle class person. I have frequently told others in real life that I am an anglo-phile.

So for this poll, I would answer as a white person would be unhappy living in a city where whites were in the minority. I would not want to ever live in an area where Latinos or blacks were in the majority. And for four reasons, as a woman I don't want to be immersed in a macho culture dominated neighborhood or city, secondly I prefer to be surrounded by academics aka geeky neighbors or ones originating from European heritage. Third, I have personally observed that Latino and black neighbors are very noisy at night with their parties, and also the sidewalks in their areas are littered with trash. Lastly, pit bulls are popular in those areas, and I stay away from dogs like that.
The only way I would be comfortable being one of less than 10% would be if the other 90% were Asian. And that's because, in my experience, the typical Asian American is far more like me (a white man) than the typical black American or Hispanic American is.

To be honest, though, I'm not entirely sure I'd be comfortable even then, at least not at first. And I think it's because I'm simply not used to being very much in the minority. I have a number of Asian friends, and in spending time with them I've had numerous occasions when I've been the only white person in a room full of Asians. And while I've never once felt the least bit threatened or even looked down upon, I've sometimes felt a little self-conscious, at first. But the feeling passes, and things are fine after that.

I've also had occasions when I was the only white person in a group of blacks. I've almost never felt comfortable in this situation; and there are times when I've felt quite unsafe. (And there was one time when I was assaulted in such a situation.)

Though, just to end on a high note, there was one time I found myself "alone" in a church with several hundred black folks. I'll tell you, they couldn't have possibly been friendlier to me. So many of them made a point of coming up to me and welcoming me to their church and just saying hi. It kind of put me and my assumptions in my place!

Old 07-14-2018, 08:24 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,607,008 times
Class and culture are more important than race. These often overlap but many times they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies