Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Feel Right At Home Living In A City Where Less Than 10% Of Population Belong To The Same R
No I Would Not And I Am White 89 39.04%
Yes I Would And I Am White 97 42.54%
No I Would Not And I Am Black 13 5.70%
Yes I Would And I Am Black 22 9.65%
No I Would Not And I Am Hispanic 0 0%
Yes I Would And I Am Hispanic 7 3.07%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 09:56 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,975,939 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure exactly what the poster you replied to meant, but I took it as the poll not even including Asians.

Living on the West Coast, it always seems odd that Asians are left out of almost all discussions involving race/ethnicity. There are more than twice as many Asian people in California as there are African Americans. In fact, the breakdown for the state is 39% Hispanic, 38% White, 15% Asian, and only 6.5% African American. Oregon and Washington have twice as many Asians as African Americans as well, but both states are much less diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 10:31 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,771,062 times
Some of the replies are so very sad. I have lived Asia in places where few people spoke English. No big deal.

It appears very few people have traveled or lived overseas.

Some of the replies remind me of a brother in law who whose job sent him to Jacksonville, FL and he was miserable-couldn’t wait to go home to...South Carolina. Idiot.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:43 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,282,368 times
Well, I goofed and hit the wrong button. I’ve done it before and it’s fine. I’m white and lived in Japan and Singapore. I was a minority in both places. The people and countries were wonderful. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

People are people. decent people can get along no matter what color they are.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:59 AM

725 posts, read 806,197 times
Most Asian countries have average crime rates so for the most part traveling or living in Asian countries especially big cities is not a problem (in some smaller locals there has been an increase in crimes against western women tourists). Travel to Africa, Mexico, Honduras or Haiti and things will be different. In any of these places there are for the most part going to be tourist areas and international districts with better security and populations. But step outside this area to where the native population lives and your risk of crime goes up. Same applies to the U.S. in cities with high non white latino or black populations. Look at Detroit, Oakland, Savannah or the Bronx. There are some safe and prosperous neighborhoods and outside of them your risks of crime and violence go up significantly. I don’t need to tell you who lives where.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:12 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Most Asian countries have average crime rates so for the most part traveling or living in Asian countries especially big cities is not a problem (in some smaller locals there has been an increase in crimes against western women tourists). Travel to Africa, Mexico, Honduras or Haiti and things will be different. In any of these places there are for the most part going to be tourist areas and international districts with better security and populations. But step outside this area to where the native population lives and your risk of crime goes up. Same applies to the U.S. in cities with high non white latino or black populations. Look at Detroit, Oakland, Savannah or the Bronx. There are some safe and prosperous neighborhoods and outside of them your risks of crime and violence go up significantly. I don’t need to tell you who lives where.
I'm not going to refute any of what you said. However, I did live in Savannah for about 18 months. I notice that in those predominantly Black areas, those are often the poorest areas of the city. The average middle class Black person is going to live somewhere more affluent and safer.

By the way, I notice you ignored my post linking cities that are predominantly Black and have low crime rates. That tells me that the only purpose you have for posting what you do is to complain about Black and Hispanic people. If that is the only reason you're doing this, at least admit it.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:20 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,245,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I definitely would not, that is why I could never see myself spending the rest of my life in a city like Detroit or El Paso for example.
Based on my life experiences, it depends on which race(s) the other 90%+ consisted of.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:18 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
I'm not sure exactly what the poster you replied to meant, but I took it as the poll not even including Asians.

Living on the West Coast, it always seems odd that Asians are left out of almost all discussions involving race/ethnicity. There are more than twice as many Asian people in California as there are African Americans. In fact, the breakdown for the state is 39% Hispanic, 38% White, 15% Asian, and only 6.5% African American. Oregon and Washington have twice as many Asians as African Americans as well, but both states are much less diverse.
Asians don't fit the victim profile liberals push on minorities, so they try to pretend they don't exist.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:29 AM

10,491 posts, read 4,051,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I definitely would not, that is why I could never see myself spending the rest of my life in a city like Detroit or El Paso for example.
Why have polls for just Whites, Blacks and Hispanics? They are not the only races in the world. We have Arabs, Native Americans, Indians, Asians.........

And I live in a community that is mostly Hispanics and Natives than Whites, and I am just fine with it. I work in an area that has a majority Haitian population, and I have no problems with doing business with them, having conversations and even striking friendships.

And oh, I was once in Mexico. I met a very handsome man there that was Whiter than me. He even had blue eyes and blonde hair. It was a gene passed down from the true Spaniards who came over who were a White race.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:34 AM

10,491 posts, read 4,051,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Would you rather live with people like you or who look like you? If you are a physician would you rather chat with other physicians who are of another race or a street cleaner of your race?
There is much truth to this statement. My hobby is in horseback riding, and I find more Hispanics and Natives in my area that have taken up the "cowboy" way in my neck of the woods, so it's probably one of the biggest reasons why I can go to the local Honky Tonk where most of the patrons are Hispanic and get along fine.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:32 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
There is much truth to this statement. My hobby is in horseback riding, and I find more Hispanics and Natives in my area that have taken up the "cowboy" way in my neck of the woods, so it's probably one of the biggest reasons why I can go to the local Honky Tonk where most of the patrons are Hispanic and get along fine.
This is similar to things in my life. I'm Black and I grew up in a predominantly White area. I used to play little league baseball. 2 teams I played on, I was the only Black kid on the team. I didn't care. I just wanted to play baseball. I remember trying out for baseball in high school (didn't make the team though). I was the only Black person at tryouts (vast majority of Black athletes at my high school played football, basketball, and track) Didn't matter to me. I just went and did what I knew best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies