Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 07:04 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,852,080 times

Advertisements

Personally I'd like to see (gutless) Harry Reid tell Joe to pack his bags and move across the aisle. Even if the Ds pick up only 6, although I think it'll probably be 7 and maybe 8, this would be a good idea.

It will invigorate the rest of the D Senators by showing that Reid has a spine and that "we're here to do business and we mean business".

It will make the R Senators sit up and take notice and realize that "hey, maybe these guys have a plan". Which should get the moderates voting for their country instead of their party.

538 dot com is calling 8 as "tilts" or higher. Franken (MN) is the only "tilt" though. Everyone else is a "leans"-Hagen/NC, "likely"-Merkely/OR or "safe".

If Hillary wants the Majority Leader job it would be hers for the taking and I'm pretty sure she would do exactly what needs to be done. Lyndon Johnson would be smiling in his grave to see her give some people "the TREATMENT".

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 09:43 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
>It will make the R Senators sit up and take notice and realize that "hey, maybe these guys have a plan". Which should get the moderates voting for their country instead of their party.<

Uh no. Wont happen. "Post Partisan" is only rhetoric. Voting "for" the something is no more patriotic than against it.

The Dems will ramrod their stuff through. and.. if what I think will happen does happen, The GOP wont be able to do a thing about it.

Interesting part is alot of the stuff the general population wont like is NOT talked about.

Card check union votes and harassment.
Energy taxes well beyond just a gas tax increase.

All I hear is income tax income tax income tax when there are equally large elephants in other corners NOONE is pointing to.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:34 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
>It will make the R Senators sit up and take notice and realize that "hey, maybe these guys have a plan". Which should get the moderates voting for their country instead of their party.<

Uh no. Wont happen. "Post Partisan" is only rhetoric. Voting "for" the something is no more patriotic than against it.

The Dems will ramrod their stuff through. and.. if what I think will happen does happen, The GOP wont be able to do a thing about it.

Interesting part is alot of the stuff the general population wont like is NOT talked about.

All I hear is income tax income tax income tax when there are equally large elephants in other corners NOONE is pointing to.

Nobody cares about regulations regarding how a union can organize.
Just because this has been a right wing talking point over the last two Months doesn't make it important to voters.

Also, energy taxes. I would prefer an overall tax plan that encourages energy taxes over income taxes. You'd save resources for our kids and grandkids, the air would be cleaner, and we wouldn't rely on foreign oil.

Use energy tax revenue to offset income taxe revenue. Now that would hit lower incomes more than higher incomes, so you just adjust the income tax rates on the high incomes to compensate.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:28 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Nobody cares about regulations regarding how a union can organize.
Just because this has been a right wing talking point over the last two Months doesn't make it important to voters.

Also, energy taxes. I would prefer an overall tax plan that encourages energy taxes over income taxes. You'd save resources for our kids and grandkids, the air would be cleaner, and we wouldn't rely on foreign oil.

Use energy tax revenue to offset income taxe revenue. Now that would hit lower incomes more than higher incomes, so you just adjust the income tax rates on the high incomes to compensate.
I do care about the pending union legislation. And I think many Americans care as well. It's not just a right-wing talking point, it's a piece of legislation with wide-sweeping implications, and deserves a lot more scrutiny and people should discuss it more. All the programs and legislation advocated by both parties need to be looked at by voters and debated. If the internet and the "information age" allow voters to become better informed than ever before, and more involved in the government that represents them, then dismissing issues as unimportant isn't really furthering government participation. We all have an opportunity in the coming years to make the government for,of and by much more of a reality than ever before.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:35 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
>Nobody cares about regulations regarding how a union can organize.<

Until the retail unions go crazy and all the people with 2nd jobs get harassed and harassed to sign the card in the parking lot.

There are other similar issues flying under radar that little is being paid attention to.

>Also, energy taxes. I would prefer an overall tax plan that encourages energy taxes over income taxes. You'd save resources for our kids and grandkids, the air would be cleaner, and we wouldn't rely on foreign oil.<

If its revenue neutral... Ill go for that.

There are still problems let me give you one. By national standards I have an above average income. I live in NJ tho and since I dont make 125K that makes me a renter. The crapshack I rent is insulated poorly and uses a ton of oil. I already spend 500 a month for heat in the winter. I can afford it because to get my above average income I work *2* jobs totaling 70+ hours per week NOT including commutes of 15 hours a week. This has to be a CRUSHING burden for others with lower incomes.

You want to add more tax on that burden? No the landlord aint gonna do anything to insulate the house. Ive had an electrical circuit out for 4 months now. No way hes gonna spend a couple grand insulating it.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:17 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,234,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

I suspect the Republican party is over. They've proved themselves to be ineffective and utterly worthless.

Most of the current electorate is not well versed in how government works and aren't prepared for what an Obama with super majority congress will bring. Especially with regard to Unions. >>> AND <<< Obama knows this. Therein his campaign. He says, 'don't be hoodwinked' ... 'don't be bamboozled'... heh... he's the one doing the hoodwinking and bamboozling.

IF, the 0 with super happens it's going to be a disgusting four years but hopefully enough to wake up the dumba$$es to vote more wisely in 2012.

I'm kinda looking forward to it, the gnashing of teeth and wailing among those who 'thought' 0 and the dems really cared about them. Actually, I've been laughing for the last week to see the mess congress has wrought, and it's only going to get worse.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:24 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,829,648 times
Speculation is that at a minimum there will be a min of 15 seats opening for D's with up to 30...what do you all think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies