Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 10:23 PM

396 posts, read 1,035,357 times

Advertisements

Could someone please expain to me why the price at the pump is down right now? Is it because of speculation and futures? If this is the case, should this kind of speculation be regulated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 11:39 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
People are driving less, causing less demand, causing the price of oil to drop. It's that, and speculators having driven up the price to overinflated levels (kinda like housing was).

Old 11-13-2008, 11:49 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Maybe the Saudis and big oil are realizing the "push" for alternative energy is going into the fast track.
Brazil went 70% flex fuel cars in three years. Why can't we? We can. I hope that people are smart enough to realize that we should not turn away from going full speed ahead with alternative sources. GM was sucking up to big oil and got screwed and now they are screwing us with this current welfare Bailout. They need to go...we need to replace them with an entire new group of people and totally retool the facilities. The best thing about going alternative is that it will be ours. We don't need to import wind or solar or bio fuels from nations that hold us hostage as if we are junkies for their black oily heroin. It will create jobs and get us on the right track. We will not be funding Al Queida anymore either. The Saudis squander money and spend like crazy. It will freak them out when we are independent. Clean air and water is the icing on the cake.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:00 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Brazil went 70% flex fuel cars in three years. Why can't we? We can.
They have sugar cane. We don't. Corn isn't even close.

I'm all for any and all alternatives, but one must understand that there is no silver bullet solution. There will be no easy, fast or cheap transition to alternative fuels in this country.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:03 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
They have sugar cane. We don't. Corn isn't even close.

I'm all for any and all alternatives, but one must understand that there is no silver bullet solution. There will be no easy, fast or cheap transition to alternative fuels in this country.
There are developing nations that we can get the sugar or corn from. Stop thinking negatively. It obviously is not working out for us or the planet to continue the way we have been. In answer to the OP's question...yes, of course it needs regulation, just as banking and most other industry does.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:32 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,192,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old biddie View Post
Could someone please expain to me why the price at the pump is down right now? Is it because of speculation and futures? If this is the case, should this kind of speculation be regulated?
Yes... Based on past performance, they absolutely should be regulated. Clearly, when energy companies can so easily get away with raising prices, they will - and have! I remember home heating gas prices soaring several years ago and my monthly bills going from $250 to $600! It was a shock and took a while for our budget to recover..

In a very short period of time gas prices here in TN have dropped dramatically from over $4 a gallon to under $2! I do understand the supply and demand explanation but believe it *has* to be more than that... Regulation - YES..

Old 11-14-2008, 11:45 AM

659 posts, read 1,085,816 times
One thing to keep in mind is that oil companies in the middle east control how much they want to raise-and drop the price of oil. Some speculate that the price has been dropping because Bush is leaving office and that makes the fat cats in the middle east happy because they assume that Obama will withdraw troops immediately or in a speedy fashion, letting them (the fat cats that is) do as they please. As swagger mentioned, gas prices dropping is also due to less people driving. That's simple economics though. When the price of a commodity increases, the demand for said commodity drops. When price decreases, demand for the commodity increases. Therefore in the long run, oil companies have lost more money raising the price of gas, rather if they had kept it at a low affordable price.
In response to SarahSal, the U.S. has no say in regulating the price of oil. It's at the discretion of the oil companies. It's a "my way or the highway," type deal where if you don't like how much we sell it to you, go to a different company and see if you can get it any cheaper. The only way to really break out of this gas crisis is to become energy independant and start finding different ways to get around. Like making cars that can run on compressed air. =]

Old 11-14-2008, 11:47 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old biddie View Post
Could someone please expain to me why the price at the pump is down right now?

I buy my gas in in Red Wing Minnesota, gas is now $1.86 a gallon.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:35 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,040,399 times
Lucky guys! Gas in the UK is sky high!

Thanx America.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:37 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
There are developing nations that we can get the sugar or corn from. Stop thinking negatively. It obviously is not working out for us or the planet to continue the way we have been. In answer to the OP's question...yes, of course it needs regulation, just as banking and most other industry does.
Not enough to power all our cars. In Brazil, they are destroying rainforests to grow sugarcane. If we started depending on them for sugarcane as well, it would be disastrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies