Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:00 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I know I may take flack from GOPers on this, but based on the attacks I'm seeing on Obama's presidency already, big time, by the right, this makes me wonder.
It does not make sense for gas prices to be this low right before the Dumbya leaves office. I thought it would be his last chance to help Exxon, BP and his dear friends, the royal Saudi family, before he left. Just like the big time price gouging this spring, gas being 4.25 to 4.50 in many places. While the economy is big time hurting overall, the oil companies are still doing really well.
Does anyone besides me, think that, Obama is being set up?
It's not about him, it's about money. Stand in the way you'll get mauled. Nature of the jungle.

Price started dropping shortly after congressional hearings over price gouging. Combo of scrutiny being given to financial markets (where the largest share of the $2 gas vs $5 gas was being perpetrated) by gov't & international gov'ts lined up with intense scrutiny of economic meltdowns rippling to global economy (deregulation--> convoluted carlyle group--> sub mortgage crisis--> credit scarce) making overheated (and hyped) demand screech to a crawl. Supply/demand is also manipulated by suppliers under producing (produce less, make more) which was Bush plea last spring to middle east. He was denied. International outcry made a dent, however.

Too fast and loose= ripe climate for deception. Once cops arrive they scatter and lay low. International paper trail will stop where a government can be paid. Cops leave, they resume subtle as to not give away where the hole in the money pipe is happening. Get too greedy you give yourself away. Hole is somewhere between spot market/ commodities market, and has the appearance of being legal (global loop hole?). Oil companies don't have a vested interest to identify it because their math is fine- raise the price for cost of biz, increased profits for same volume is what congress assumed with gouging. Doesn't work that way. It's beyond their jurisdiction.

Oil (not just companies BTW) knows if renewables kick in large scale it's the end of long term volume sales USA unless they've shifted to renewables (a potential corporate welfare bonanza) or another oil dependent economy can be developed in emerging market since most established technology uses combustion engine. How players are orientated in the industry (upstream or downstream) decide their feet. Standard corp strategy- how attractive countries make a package decides their home base. Many chose to go the emerging route, a few have combined approaches because we'll never be off oil completely- chemical derivatives guarantees it. Zero oil mentality in greenie camp is absurd. Shareholder reports for all publicly held companies are available upon request but have to develop ability to read between the lines. Privately owned- exempt from disclosure they get to hold all their cards while seeing all others.

Oil doesn't really believe USA will go renewable because we're too impatient for tech. Lack of resolve, consumer expectations too high, too spoiled by on demand everything, too busy infighting; delays=more profit yrs. Ex: Timeline anwar 10yrs, timeline renewables 20yrs + according to their projections. Ingenuity/ innovation isn't mentioned in projections- all based on current technology. Worst case scenario, plan B is another customer, but don't let yourself get strung out paying the bill for $$$$ R&D for renewables (perceptions being pig in a poke investment). Real $$$ is not made in creating, but in shifting paper and distributing w/markups in current large scale commerce mentality. Minimal employees AKA minimal 'nuisance' liabilities. Since industrial age started, machines are more reliable and quantifiable on spreadsheets, and trends are built upon that foundation perception. Ethics have price that only pays returns in the form of + PR/ brand recognition. These things are not limited to an industry, but are the nature of business climate large scale, the current interpretation of capitalism.

Slim threat of 100% renewables inconus- Whomever gets stuck holding the bag last-- the refineries, the fixed pipelines, the plants, gas stations, barges and ports... loses unless repackaged. Whatever was overvalued is an automatic loss. Any environmental liabilities present become scrutinized during sale. They have few plans to replace aging infrastructure since 70's. It's worth more as depreciation to offset taxes. Riding a 76 chevy as long as they can, cheaper to patch for the past 25 yrs, grandfather clauses in effect.

Expansion is far more difficult, litigious (eminent domain) & cost prohibitive (materials and labor) than patching or upgrade. Ex.- Like home remodeling codes, upgrade means additional cost of up to code. Codes, as they are written, are piecemeal and at times contradictory. Getting in compliance with one law but out of compliance with another in the bargain- no win situation for commerce. Their grievance is legit.

Vulnerabilities of USA (and others)- energy policy needs complete revision, as do financial market regulations stretching globally. Get cracking Obama. We need you working. I wouldn't wish this mess on my worst enemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 11:08 AM

420 posts, read 1,236,664 times
Quote:
I know I may take flack from GOPers on this, but based on the attacks I'm seeing on Obama's presidency already, big time, by the right, this makes me wonder.
It does not make sense for gas prices to be this low right before the Dumbya leaves office. I thought it would be his last chance to help Exxon, BP and his dear friends, the royal Saudi family, before he left. Just like the big time price gouging this spring, gas being 4.25 to 4.50 in many places. While the economy is big time hurting overall, the oil companies are still doing really well.
Does anyone besides me, think that, Obama is being set up? That the price will stay not much more than it is now, but shortly after he takes office, Bush, Cheney will use their oil connections, to drive the price to 5.00 a gallon? That could squash any good feelings about Obama and the Dems down the sewer. I honestly can see this, since, well, in the mid Term elections, gas was under 2.00 a gallon, set that way to try to influence votes for the GOP. Not even 4 months later, it was easily over 3.00 a gallon.
Does it make sense, especially after gas being 4.25 to 4.50 in 1/2 the country, for gas prices to fall almost 50% now?
Again, I feel, it's being done to harm Obama's administration. If gas goes to 5.00 a gallon in 2011, that's one thing, but I hope I'm wrong, but funny business will make gas go to 5.00 a gallon by March.

Wow, I totally agree with you, it does seem like a set up. I wonder will the market completely crash right after he takes office. Lets keep praying for President Elect Barack Obama.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:09 PM

540 posts, read 629,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
I've been clicking my heels all day and nothing happened, is there a trick to making this happen?
I'm sorry, I didn't add the part about Angelina Jolie pulling the tie back and forth between her thighs. Does that help? Sorry about that, how unprofessional of me. Now if that doesn't help, I really can't helpyou. Wish you hadn't brought it up, -I gotta go.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:21 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Bush has nothing to do with gas prices, but I'm sure he is responsible for the common cold..!
You kooks shouldn't be allowed out in public without your straight jackets....
Where do you come up with this stuff...?
Liberals are just whacked when it comes to their hate for Bush. The things they come up with to justify their obsession with the BHS (Bush Hate Syndrome)!

Besides we all know that Obama is really a Muslim and OPEC lowered the prices so Obama could take credit for them.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:24 PM

609 posts, read 1,174,852 times
Anyone who thinks bush is controlling the prices obviously has no undertanding of the the gas prices are determined, and the increase and decrease of a barrel

Old 11-19-2008, 10:26 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
It's not about him, it's about money. Stand in the way you'll get mauled. Nature of the jungle.

Price started dropping shortly after congressional hearings over price gouging. Combo of scrutiny being given to financial markets (where the largest share of the $2 gas vs $5 gas was being perpetrated) by gov't & international gov'ts lined up with intense scrutiny of economic meltdowns rippling to global economy (deregulation--> convoluted carlyle group--> sub mortgage crisis--> credit scarce) making overheated (and hyped) demand screech to a crawl. Supply/demand is also manipulated by suppliers under producing (produce less, make more) which was Bush plea last spring to middle east. He was denied. International outcry made a dent, however.

Too fast and loose= ripe climate for deception. Once cops arrive they scatter and lay low. International paper trail will stop where a government can be paid. Cops leave, they resume subtle as to not give away where the hole in the money pipe is happening. Get too greedy you give yourself away. Hole is somewhere between spot market/ commodities market, and has the appearance of being legal (global loop hole?). Oil companies don't have a vested interest to identify it because their math is fine- raise the price for cost of biz, increased profits for same volume is what congress assumed with gouging. Doesn't work that way. It's beyond their jurisdiction.

Oil (not just companies BTW) knows if renewables kick in large scale it's the end of long term volume sales USA unless they've shifted to renewables (a potential corporate welfare bonanza) or another oil dependent economy can be developed in emerging market since most established technology uses combustion engine. How players are orientated in the industry (upstream or downstream) decide their feet. Standard corp strategy- how attractive countries make a package decides their home base. Many chose to go the emerging route, a few have combined approaches because we'll never be off oil completely- chemical derivatives guarantees it. Zero oil mentality in greenie camp is absurd. Shareholder reports for all publicly held companies are available upon request but have to develop ability to read between the lines. Privately owned- exempt from disclosure they get to hold all their cards while seeing all others.

Oil doesn't really believe USA will go renewable because we're too impatient for tech. Lack of resolve, consumer expectations too high, too spoiled by on demand everything, too busy infighting; delays=more profit yrs. Ex: Timeline anwar 10yrs, timeline renewables 20yrs + according to their projections. Ingenuity/ innovation isn't mentioned in projections- all based on current technology. Worst case scenario, plan B is another customer, but don't let yourself get strung out paying the bill for $$$$ R&D for renewables (perceptions being pig in a poke investment). Real $$$ is not made in creating, but in shifting paper and distributing w/markups in current large scale commerce mentality. Minimal employees AKA minimal 'nuisance' liabilities. Since industrial age started, machines are more reliable and quantifiable on spreadsheets, and trends are built upon that foundation perception. Ethics have price that only pays returns in the form of + PR/ brand recognition. These things are not limited to an industry, but are the nature of business climate large scale, the current interpretation of capitalism.

Slim threat of 100% renewables inconus- Whomever gets stuck holding the bag last-- the refineries, the fixed pipelines, the plants, gas stations, barges and ports... loses unless repackaged. Whatever was overvalued is an automatic loss. Any environmental liabilities present become scrutinized during sale. They have few plans to replace aging infrastructure since 70's. It's worth more as depreciation to offset taxes. Riding a 76 chevy as long as they can, cheaper to patch for the past 25 yrs, grandfather clauses in effect.

Expansion is far more difficult, litigious (eminent domain) & cost prohibitive (materials and labor) than patching or upgrade. Ex.- Like home remodeling codes, upgrade means additional cost of up to code. Codes, as they are written, are piecemeal and at times contradictory. Getting in compliance with one law but out of compliance with another in the bargain- no win situation for commerce. Their grievance is legit.

Vulnerabilities of USA (and others)- energy policy needs complete revision, as do financial market regulations stretching globally. Get cracking Obama. We need you working. I wouldn't wish this mess on my worst enemy.
This post made way too much sense and was filled with to many truths. It should not be allowed and I will do all I can to have it deleted. It is not funny, not partisan, not full of vitriol, and half truths. How dare you post something like this in our playground. You should be ashamed of yourself!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:12 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Thumbs down oil bailouts are needed

The oil industry isn’t making any profit on their oil and gas. They’re now going broke and also want a government bailout. Help the oil companies and give them 10~15 Billion before the bottom of the industry dries up and blows away.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:13 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Does anyone besides me, think that, Obama is being set up? That the price will stay not much more than it is now, but shortly after he takes office, Bush, Cheney will use their oil connections, to drive the price to 5.00 a gallon? That could squash any good feelings about Obama and the Dems down the sewer. I honestly can see this, since, well, in the mid Term elections, gas was under 2.00 a gallon, set that way to try to influence votes for the GOP. Not even 4 months later, it was easily over 3.00 a gallon.
Does it make sense, especially after gas being 4.25 to 4.50 in 1/2 the country, for gas prices to fall almost 50% now?
Again, I feel, it's being done to harm Obama's administration. If gas goes to 5.00 a gallon in 2011, that's one thing, but I hope I'm wrong, but funny business will make gas go to 5.00 a gallon by March.
Ah, let's take a walk down memory lane.

Perhaps your assumptions about Bush & friends ability to "control" oil and gas prices were incorrect because you like to blame supply\demand issues that are negative on the other party for political gain?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:56 AM

898 posts, read 1,402,389 times
If only gas could be below $2 again.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:11 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
Bush merely speaking about drilling and the gas prices went down. Obama says NO drilling. Wonder what will happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies