Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 06:57 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,559,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
To add, living in an apartment building and now having cooler weather, I had forgotten how some will feel it is more inviting to hang outdoors and stink up the fresh, clean air. Thanks. (Luckily, there are not many smokers around here). We can imagine how their homes and cars smell, and just because one is an addict doesn't mean they should be able to destroy the air for everyone else, then there is the attitude by some. Windows are meant to be able to get and breathe fresh air in one's home. Thankfully, there has been and will be an increase in buildings that prohibit smoking (my next move, when able).
You've hit the nail squarely on the head. Point well taken. The smoker-pigs feel they can spew their effluent at while to the detriment of EVERYONE else.

To add insult to injury, some would advise that it is YOUR responsibility to move so as to avoid their toxic pollution, while others try to minimize it by comparing it to after shave or perfume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 08:18 AM

45,251 posts, read 26,498,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
You've hit the nail squarely on the head. Point well taken. The smoker-pigs feel they can spew their effluent at while to the detriment of EVERYONE else.

To add insult to injury, some would advise that it is YOUR responsibility to move so as to avoid their toxic pollution, while others try to minimize it by comparing it to after shave or perfume.
Should be the case on private property, i.e. property you dont own

Old 10-12-2018, 08:19 AM

39,257 posts, read 27,655,778 times
Quote:

I agree with you that SOME smokers have entitlement issue. Maybe they don't understand that many non-smokers really cannot tolerate the smell.

I agree with the op, public should not have to endure it. However, why do you call smokers pigs? Not every smoker has the entitlement issue.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Should be the case on private property, i.e. property you dont own
I would agree if you are referring to private property that is not open to the public. Once you open a property to the public (office building, store, cafe etc.,) you have a different kettle of fish. A property owner cannot waive the rights of people who he has authorized to enter the property, either by way of making it public, such as a store, or via a leasehold situation such as an office building. The property owner does NOT own the air, nor the right to waive the rights of others.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:49 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,145,006 times
I really want to be 'live-and-let-live" on tobacco smoking when carcinogens are in the air and food we are exposed to daily. But in the last 2 months I lost a friend at 56 and co-worker at 59 from smoking cigarettes. Plus, even one good inhalation of second-hand tobacco smoke is enough for a headache and a few more, a full-blown head cold.

Satan had a great day when he created corporate cigarettes.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I really want to be 'live-and-let-live" on tobacco smoking when carcinogens are in the air and food we are exposed to daily. But in the last 2 months I lost a friend at 56 and co-worker at 59 from smoking cigarettes. Plus, even one good inhalation of second-hand tobacco smoke is enough for a headache and a few more, a full-blown head cold.

Satan had a great day when he created corporate cigarettes.
Great post. However, if you think you are going to positively effect the "thinking" of smoker-swine, I think you are coughing up the wrong tree. To them, your misery is nil, and quenching their lust for nicotine, is uber alles. I suggest you get a portable fire extinguisher and let 'em have it (the tobacco joint, I mean).

Old 10-12-2018, 09:57 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,681,376 times
Quote:

Thanks... and I know...I saw that earlier on.

I am lucky that, though not entirely a non-smoking building, some time ago the owners created designated areas for smokers (in front of building or in rear parking lot), luckily not right outside my unit, but they used to smoke anywhere. I am unsure if they smoke indoors, but luckily one does not live near me. However, it can come through the ventilation system and other openings. I may have mentioned how some drive down the driveways on either side if the building while smoking out their window, so it enters units that way. Then, I am next to condos on one side where smoke can drift in from there. I have to say, it has improved over how it once was, maybe some have quit or moved.. and am grateful.

Whenever I make my next move, it will be specifically to a smoke-free building. Some list having a section of units reserved for smokers, which is good for them, but I don't think would be enough for me, with it drifting. Non-smokers want to enjoy their patios or balconies, just as smokers want to usually smoke on theirs.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Thanks... and I know...I saw that earlier on.

I am lucky that, though not entirely a non-smoking building, some time ago the owners created designated areas for smokers (in front of building or in rear parking lot), luckily not right outside my unit, but they used to smoke anywhere. I am unsure if they smoke indoors, but luckily one does not live near me. However, it can come through the ventilation system and other openings. I may have mentioned how some drive down the driveways on either side if the building while smoking out their window, so it enters units that way. Then, I am next to condos on one side where smoke can drift in from there. I have to say, it has improved over how it once was, maybe some have quit or moved.. and am grateful.

Whenever I make my next move, it will be specifically to a smoke-free building. Some list having a section of units reserved for smokers, which is good for them, but I don't think would be enough for me, with it drifting. Non-smokers want to enjoy their patios or balconies, just as smokers want to usually smoke on theirs.
I would observe this HUGE difference between smokers and non-smokers.

A smokers ruins the air for everyone, offends almost everyone, interferes with the rights of everyone.

A non-smoker offends nobody, ruins no air and hinders nobody's rights. They just do what nature intended, i.e. breath.

Smokers are a pox, a malignancy, and a blight due to their actions and attitudes. Pond scum is their better.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,634,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with you that SOME smokers have entitlement issue. Maybe they don't understand that many non-smokers really cannot tolerate the smell.

I agree with the op, public should not have to endure it. However, why do you call smokers pigs? Not every smoker has the entitlement issue.
Well, before the late 90s, majority of restaurants and other places, had smoking sections, many had no barriers to keep the smoke contained. I never heard many people complaining about this until fairly recently. (late 90s to present). before that, everyone just tolerated/accepted that was just the way it was.

I remember when I was younger and we would hang out at the local shopping mall, smoking was permitted thru out the mall, they had ash trays all over the common areas, very rarely did anyone complain about this, even non-smokers.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:21 AM

247 posts, read 181,440 times
'World's Oldest Man' Is 114 Years Old, Smokes Every Day - Newsweek

Secrets to Living to 100 - Centenarians Endorse Booze, Smoking ...

The burden of proof is on those who claim passive smoking is harmful. The WHO study of 1998 showed, and Enstrom and Kabat (BMJ 2003) have pretty conclusively confirmed, that claims about harms from passive smoking are unfounded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies