Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 05:55 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
You go to another restaurant. That's the way it should be.
The government should not be telling business owners whether or not smokers can patronize their businesses. As such a strong Christian I have to assume that you're right-wing. Don't you people preach "less government"? Or is that only when it suits you? I'm confused.

I'm sure there are PLENTY of non-smoking restaurants for you to patronize. Show your preference by going there. Smokers in turn will go to the establishments that allow smoking. Eventually, the laws of business will determine whether or not you can smoke in a given establishment.

I personally do not patronize places that do not allow smoking. That's my choice as a smoker. IMHO though, smoking "sections" should be outlawed. Either it's a smoking establishment, or it's not. The smoke flows all over, and having a "smoking section" is ridiculous.

-TT

"go to another restaurant. That's the way it should be." BINGO!

" strong Christian I have to assume that you're right-wing." A LIE perpetuated by the left media.

" Don't you people preach "less government"? One size does NOT fit all.

"Small" government does NOT mean NO government.

Besides, smoking laws are a LOCAL issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 06:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Here in Minnesota we have been dealing with a smoking ban on restaurants and bars. The ban was struck down state-wide, except in the counties that surround Minneapolis/St. Paul. Many people are upset that smoking is not allowed in public places. I for one am extremely happy for this because I simply don't like the smell of cigarette smoke and all other types. My wife and kids have severe asthma so that is yet a more important reason for not wanting to be around the smoke.

Many people of course are whining that their rights are being taken away by these bans that have been in place for about a year now. My take on it is what about the rights of nonsmokers? What about the rights of people like my young kids who have asthma and can't go out to restaurants if there is a smoking section? It's a controversy where there are no winners...and everyone loses...like my mother-in-law who died due to smoking.
You need to live in a bubble then, away from any industrialized area.
You going to be really triggered, when I start smoking a brisket and some links.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:01 AM

45,238 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Agree, smoking is disgusting, but can be avoided. Far more disgusting (and unavoidable), is armed goons telling private property owners and individuals what they can do within their own space and bodies.

Old 09-08-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your MIL. I too live with an asthmatic . We avoid smoke in public places like the plague.

However, it is important to remember that nicotine addiction is a serious addiction. One that has been both pushed in the popular media and subsidized by our government.

I have compassion for my fellow human beings who smoke and want to quit.

I choose to "vote" with my dollars. I frequent establishments that do not allow smoking...and avoid those that do.
"However, it is important to remember that nicotine addiction is a serious addiction."

It is NOT an addiction. It IS a very strong habit.

I have seen way to many people, including myself who have quit cold turkey WITHOUT ANY HELP.

If you want to see REAL addiction, go to a re-hab place that helps drug addicts.

There is NO comparison!

Old 09-08-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
No more good inention laws. We have some that still need overturned as it is. If you dont want to smoke, dont. If you dont want to be around it then dont. If someone is smoking and bothering you ask them to put it out and tell them you have serious asthma. If the plae you go to allows smoking find somehwere else instead of telling them what to do with their lives or business. It isn that cigarettes arent terrible, the point of liberties matter more.
" If someone is smoking and bothering you ask them to put it out", NO YOU LEAVE.

Take, I know this a bad word for a lot of liberals, RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, do NOT try to make others coddle to YOU!

Old 09-08-2018, 06:22 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,280,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Here in Minnesota we have been dealing with a smoking ban on restaurants and bars. The ban was struck down state-wide, except in the counties that surround Minneapolis/St. Paul. Many people are upset that smoking is not allowed in public places. I for one am extremely happy for this because I simply don't like the smell of cigarette smoke and all other types. My wife and kids have severe asthma so that is yet a more important reason for not wanting to be around the smoke.

Many people of course are whining that their rights are being taken away by these bans that have been in place for about a year now. My take on it is what about the rights of nonsmokers? What about the rights of people like my young kids who have asthma and can't go out to restaurants if there is a smoking section? It's a controversy where there are no winners...and everyone loses...like my mother-in-law who died due to smoking.
I agree. Hate smoke too.

Here in Canada, smoking pot will be legsl starting october 17th...
so we will have to deal with both cigarette smoke and weed ....and weed smells really bad
like a skunk....lucky us

Old 09-08-2018, 07:04 AM

45,238 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I agree. Hate smoke too.

Here in Canada, smoking pot will be legsl starting october 17th...
so we will have to deal with both cigarette smoke and weed ....and weed smells really bad
like a skunk....lucky us
Should skunks be banned too?
I typically keep a distance when I see one out and about.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:01 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,227,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
You don't understand science. It's a nice anecdote though.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielf.../#6d8658465d49

For every study saying secondhand smoke causes cancer there is one that refutes it. It’s not about understanding science, it’s about not blindly accepting everything you’re told. The anti-smoking side has been caught lying multiple times.

My understanding today is that smoking is not healthy and you probably shouldn’t do it. That’s it. You people that act like every smoker is setting off a nuclear weapon everytime they light up need to get a hobby.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:06 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
Exactly! I couldn't careless if you smoke or not. I don't smoke anymore. It was on and off for awhile for me, but now i'm completely off cigarettes.

But I don't think others should have to sit in their own homes just to have a smoke. This argument was brought up before.

If smokers are not allowed to smoke in public, then I don't want to see anyone fat eat a candy bar in front of my face. Or I don't want anyone who has kids that **** themselves at any store that I shop at. You have bad gas? You best go home, I don't want to smell it.

Saying you can't smoke in public places like bars, restaurants, and bowling alleys, is the most retarded thing ever. That's just saying, if you smoke, you're not allowed to have a social life. And places like bars get most of their business from smokers, and so do bowling alleys.

And yes, it is disgusting sometimes, but it's no different than that fat kid that just shoved 6 twix in his mouth. I find that pretty disgusting, and a filthy habit.

A fat person eating candy in front of your face poses no health risk to you. Someone smoking does. Why is that concept so hard to understand? My right to healthy lungs overrides your right to put smoke in my face.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:12 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,457,213 times
What's next? Drinking? Filthy habit and drunk drivers kill, drunk people fight, drunk people, vomit in public. Ew, I think we should ban it again! LMAO

Relax OP, there is worse pollution in the air you breathe in any city in the U.S. No escaping it. The food you eat, pesticides, all over it. You basically eat Round Up everytime you eat a salad or a piece of fruit.
Look at Flint, do you think their water is the only contaminated water in the U.S.?

We're all doomed, maybe you should start smoking to relax. Or take the over prescribed antidepressants we give people like you by the truckload.

Avoid what you can, and then try to be rational. Asthma sucks, but we all have something. Avoid places where smokers frequent and try to be realistic. Standing by a smoker outdoors isn't going to give you enough exposure to do any serious damage. Now the way you feel about it will so try to stay realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies