Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 08:14 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
A fat person eating candy in front of your face poses no health risk to you. Someone smoking does. Why is that concept so hard to understand? My right to healthy lungs overrides your right to put smoke in my face.
Most people smoke outside, and that is not enough to affect you. Try to relax. Unless you live with a smoker, and they smoke inside, then you'll be fine. And don't move to a marijuana state. lol You'll hate it there! They smoke it everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 08:33 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,736,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Most people smoke outside, and that is not enough to affect you. Try to relax. Unless you live with a smoker, and they smoke inside, then you'll be fine. And don't move to a marijuana state. lol You'll hate it there! They smoke it everywhere.

I'm referring to an enclosed space like inside a restaurant. I don't care if they smoke outside where I can easily walk away.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:50 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I'm referring to an enclosed space like inside a restaurant. I don't care if they smoke outside where I can easily walk away.
And you cant just as easily walk by the restaurant that allows smoking

Old 09-08-2018, 10:56 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
If any have coronary heart disease or angina, second-hand smoke can cause a heart attack.

Quote:
Chemicals in secondhand smoke also irritate the lining of your arteries, causing them to swell (inflammation). This inflammation can narrow your arteries, increasing your risk of having chest pain related to your heart (angina) and even a heart attack.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/faq-20058082

Quote:
Exposure time to secondhand smoke and effects:
5 minutes – stiffens the aorta as much as smoking a cigarette
20-30 minutes – causes excess blood clotting, as well as increases the buildup of fat deposits in blood vessels, increasing the risk of heart attack and stroke.
2 hours – increases the chance of irregular heart beat (arrhythmia) and can trigger a fatal cardiac event or heart attack.
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...-smoke-dangers

Old 09-08-2018, 10:59 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If any have coronary heart disease or angina, second-hand smoke can cause a heart attack.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/faq-20058082
Good point and why those so afflicted should avoid it.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:01 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Good point and why those so afflicted should avoid it.
Smoking in public, or where other people congregate, is a public health issue just as much as defecating on the street is.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:05 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Most people smoke outside, and that is not enough to affect you.
Wrong. They usually smoke within several feet of a building so now passersbyers can smell it. Then when they walk inside the building they still smell like smoke.

Then then throw their cigarettes butts away on the ground.

Smoking is one of the worst most idiotic things humans have ever invented.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:11 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
I have been on both ends of this topic. I quit smoking when it was still allowed inside public places and the day after being in one of them was like I had smoked a couple of packs myself! I didn't feel that sick when I was inhaling my own cigs! I eventually fell off my wagon and it had become illegal to smoke inside in public places. So I either "chewed and screwed" or I stepped outside.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:19 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
If smoking or second hand smoke was truly THAT dangerous, it would be heavily restricted, it would be tough or next to impossible to obtain cigarettes....the same thing they did with opioid prescription drugs.

The 2 are really very similar, Govt cracked down on opioids, they went after the manufacturers, the doctors, pharmacies, EVERYBODY, they made it so even the people who do not abuse them, find it next to impossible to obtain them. Im sure the pharma companies didnt like having such popular drugs restricted like this, and even tho they brought in lots of revenue, govt still cracked down on them.

Point is, there was NO concern for the manufacturer or industry, tobacco companies are no different.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:21 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If smoking or second hand smoke was truly THAT dangerous, it would be heavily restricted
Oh, believe me, smoking IS THAT dangerous. Just ask my poor lungs. BUT it should not be outlawed. We all have choice. The PCers seem forget that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies