Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 06:09 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,902,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You make a great case for the individual to be held responsible for their own health care
What about that second hand smoke we must breathe when someone smokes in a public place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 06:23 PM

8,243 posts, read 3,452,400 times
Not that long ago the majority of Americans smoked, and hardly anyone suspected it wasn't healthy. Non-smokers breathed in second-hand smoke without even thinking about it. When I was a child, the house must have been filled with smoke but I didn't even notice.

It is taking a long time, but our feelings about cigarettes are changing 180 degrees. We have enough scientific evidence that it's bad to inhale cigarette smoke, directly or indirectly. It's also disgusting for those of us who don't smoke.

In the 1980s we had to breath smoke at our jobs, and just about anywhere we went.

It has always been very hard to find an apartment in a smoke-free building. That might have changed recently, I don't know. There has been a crazy idea that people can do whatever they want in their own home, even though obviously cigarette smoke doesn't stay in the apartment it started in.

Smoking has become so expensive and inconvenient it is hard to understand why any kids are starting to smoke, but of course some are.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:48 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,390,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What about that second hand smoke we must breathe when someone smokes in a public place?
Well, cover your face and move on.. especially in outdoor area's!! Meanwhile, duck landcover when 2nd Amendment privilege allowed someone to braids a firearm and start shooting YOUR space!

I know it's extreme example.. BUT in truth it's no different.. Most smoker's try NOT to offend other's YET because of 2nd Amendment .. MANY+++ use their RIGHTS to scare/kill/threaten others !

Compare these extremes ~ Smell of Smoking regular Cig's and NOW legal Cannabis ( which is very stinky)..Which to you prefer?? Both legal~~ Taxes paid to Government BUT yet somehow CONDEM the person and the use of tax paid product in order to find condemnation!

Use of any item Cig's/Cannabis/Alcohol is will always come down to individual usage.. and actually being respectful ... Of course, it's more common in my life..however, many believer's their RIGHT to do whatever they please .. CAUSE they can!!

Bottomline is, there are multi=millions who don't respect others, and will do whatever they want.. Where I live..MOST actually respect other's who get affected by their habits.. It will always come down to respecting other's and understanding what YOU do can be offensive/affect others! IF YOU DON"T Give A Darn .. Hey, it's appears more common south of myself!!

IF one smokes regular cigarettes .. and keep it within your own space.. WHY should they be Judged.. unless some always pass judgement on others> BET those passing such JUDGMENT have far greater issues in their life that could be JUDGED harshly!

Old 09-09-2018, 07:18 PM

45,345 posts, read 26,608,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
don't you think people should bear the negative consequences of their habits, vices, lifestyles, etc?

Old 09-09-2018, 07:36 PM

37,289 posts, read 41,533,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Not that long ago the majority of Americans smoked, and hardly anyone suspected it wasn't healthy. Non-smokers breathed in second-hand smoke without even thinking about it. When I was a child, the house must have been filled with smoke but I didn't even notice.

It is taking a long time, but our feelings about cigarettes are changing 180 degrees. We have enough scientific evidence that it's bad to inhale cigarette smoke, directly or indirectly. It's also disgusting for those of us who don't smoke.

In the 1980s we had to breath smoke at our jobs, and just about anywhere we went.

It has always been very hard to find an apartment in a smoke-free building. That might have changed recently, I don't know. There has been a crazy idea that people can do whatever they want in their own home, even though obviously cigarette smoke doesn't stay in the apartment it started in.

Smoking has become so expensive and inconvenient it is hard to understand why any kids are starting to smoke, but of course some are.
When I was a child the house and car were filled with smoke. Believe you me, I noticed, particularly in the car. I now know that my "motion sickness" was caused by the smoke, not the movement of the car. I certainly never felt the need to smoke myself.

Those defending the "rights" of smokers are, in large part trying to justify the need smokers have to puff away whenever and wherever they want to, whether it bothers other folks or not. That includes in nonsmoking apartments, hotels, and rental cars.

Some stats on youth smoking:

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta..._use/index.htm

Old 09-10-2018, 08:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,106,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
As I have said before and I will say again, if self righteous nonsmokers detest smoking and smokers so much, write to your local congressman and insist it be made illegal. It's hypocritical that smoking is still legal yet also banned nearly everywhere. I'm not condoning it and I think it's a bad habit, but the smoking hate has gone too far. Besides, people in glass houses and all. I'm sure nonsmokers have 0 unhealthy bad habits themselves How easy it is to judge others.

And if there is evidence that smelling smoke on someone's clothes or person causes respiratory ailments, I would love to see it, because I have heard this from nonsmokers before but haven't seen any proof fo back this up.
I would like such a ban applied to Pot smokers as well as any other dried plant that is smoked. We then can ban fire smoke in all forms (BBQ, Fireplaces etc) as those cause breathing/health issues as well. Heavy particulates from wood smoke cause severe pollution during the winter months in many places in the U.S.

We wouldn't want to be hypocrites now would we?

Old 09-10-2018, 08:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,106,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
When I was a child the house and car were filled with smoke. Believe you me, I noticed, particularly in the car. I now know that my "motion sickness" was caused by the smoke, not the movement of the car. I certainly never felt the need to smoke myself.

Those defending the "rights" of smokers are, in large part trying to justify the need smokers have to puff away whenever and wherever they want to, whether it bothers other folks or not. That includes in nonsmoking apartments, hotels, and rental cars.

Some stats on youth smoking:

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta..._use/index.htm
Not true. <bold> Just pointing out others have the same rights as you do...

Old 09-10-2018, 08:06 AM

45,345 posts, read 26,608,155 times
Stinky perfumes,colognes and sorry the lowly skunk too all have to go as well. Im offended, I will sue.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:09 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,384,852 times
Smoking is a unique habit in that it requires others near you to smoke along with you.

Not true of gambling, one-night-stands, drinking (as long as you aren't driving), etc.

Smoking is a vice you share with everyone within breathing distance.

As in, I don't care if anyone is chewing tobacco (as long as they're not spitting on the floor indoors or on me), but sitting next to be smoking like a chimney? Yes... I mind that.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:10 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,384,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Stinky perfumes,colognes and sorry the lowly skunk too all have to go as well. Im offended, I will sue.
Those are different, but I do agree that people should be considerate of others when choosing their fragrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies