Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

Ashville Native's report has a certain plausibility. Modern police training seems to stress intimidation of anyone being questioned. Maybe they watch too much TV.

Citizens, IIRC, are not required to even give their name when questioned by the police. In most cases "None of your business is a proper reply." The brutes that use tasers to terrorise need therapy. I suggest 2 min tasing very hour for a week or so until they get the point that they do not use threat on citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 09:55 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
I prefer a 38 revolver.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:59 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Los Angeles Police carry stun guns.

And use them.

Stun guns can also kill and a person can go into cardiac arrest if hit.

The are a less lethal form of controlling a suspect, but not foolproof.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:00 AM

609 posts, read 1,175,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
You started out wrong, and went downhill from there.

You obviously have a serious problem with the police.

And since you're talking (lying about?) specifics, I think you ought to provide links to the reports of the incidents you're claiming.
so true. his story is.. more then questionable... comparable only to those that start off as "hey my friends neighbours brother sister, said he heard that one time this cop, tasered this women.. for walking to fast."

he bascically sounds like all those gangsters who post on youtube videos and they all say "F****** cops" or soemthing like that"..

they obviosuly dont understand that cops, are people, and can commit crimes and abuse power too. just like anyother job.. actually maybe less then any other job, because of all the things in place to stop them, as well as having to have no criminal record (in canada anyways)

Old 11-24-2008, 11:43 AM

425 posts, read 1,093,318 times
The scary thing is that they're selling this type of thing on infomercials now. A college student comes on and tells her story of how she was being followed when she was walking late at night alone on campus and she threatened to zap the guy who was following her, and he ran away.

What they fail to say is that A) she shouldn't have been walking alone late at night, and B) that guy could have easily overpowered her, took the thing, and used it on her.

People are going to be tazing each over all over the place.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:26 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
ELLIE C. WHY SHOULD ANY PERSON FEAR WALKING ALONE AT NIGHT? Apparently our civil society has deteriorated to the point that citizens are warned that there are places they should not walk. That is a major failure of our civilization.

Now given that situation, if I had to walk in such a place I most certainly would be armed. IMHO the people that most need weapons are the single small woman (although I know a couple of small women with black belts in Kung fu or something like that that could disarm anyone that was using any weapon besides a gun or just using a gun as a threat) walking or working alone. I doubt a criminal could get past a taser if the user was trained and willing to use it.

Incidentally, I have asked the Kung Fu chicks to try and disarm me when I was using a fake pistol as an exercise. They never got beyond the almost ready stage because I simply "shot" first.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:31 PM

695 posts, read 1,377,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C. View Post
The scary thing is that they're selling this type of thing on infomercials now. A college student comes on and tells her story of how she was being followed when she was walking late at night alone on campus and she threatened to zap the guy who was following her, and he ran away.

What they fail to say is that A) she shouldn't have been walking alone late at night, and B) that guy could have easily overpowered her, took the thing, and used it on her.

I'm thinking of an episode of Cheers, here - the one where Cliff hires somebody to use a shock collar as a form of aversion therapy. Pretty hilarious!

Old 11-24-2008, 03:28 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C. View Post

Why shouldn't a person be able to walk around alone?
How can the guy overpower her & take the think if he's flopping like a fish on the pavement?

Old 11-24-2008, 05:01 PM

425 posts, read 1,093,318 times
So you are suggesting that college students should walk are with tasers in their hands ready to shoot at all times?

You guys have got to be kidding. That's just not realistic.

And someone please show me where I said a person should not be able to walk around alone (TinKnocker and GregW??). The reality is that it's a dangerous world out there, there are freaks everywhere, and unless you live in lala land, you have to be smart about these things.

What if the guy had a taser and fired one at her from behind? Or was hiding in the bushes and grabbed her in a headlock before she even knew what was happening? I don't care what anyone says, even if she knew self-defense, this girl was tiny and a big man would have dragged her away in a second.

You guys are watching too much TV. The reality is that if that girl were taken by surprise (assuming she was "real" and not an actress for the infomercial), she would not have had time to go rooting around in her purse for her taser if someone jumped her.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:14 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Their use is being abused by many of the thugs that wear a police uniform. In a local incident a rather plump 55 year old woman out walking her friends dogs early in the morning was tasered 3 times because she did not have identification, and basically told the cops that she didn't have to prove who she was cause she hasn't done anything wrong.

There were three cops present, and one of them tazed her 3 separate times for being uncooperative. It is the new way for cops to hand out a beating without breaking a sweat.

cops... errrr I mean thugs in uniform, are tasering as the new street justice, and for trivial reasons, and only verbal resistance. The have tazed people in wheel chairs (a flight risk?) the elderly, children as young as 7 or 8.

There needs to be a review of every use of the taser, just as there is for the use of their weapon.
I agree with you totally...I was a LEO for many moons and I could tell you story after story of abuse by officers....a majority of the officers are fairly decent folks just trying to make a living doing something they enjoy,BUT far,far to many are undertrained morons that eventually deserve to be behind bars more than the person they are arresting does.I do not now or did I ever think the use of a taser was a good idea and like you I also believe if a Taser IS used every incident should come before a citizens review board and if an officer starts having a pattern of abuse he/she should be stripped of their eligibility to carry one.Usually someone who abuses any LEO tool is someone who shouldn't be on the job anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies