Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 03:56 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times

Advertisements

With the exception of Catholics, why as a rule do right wing pro-lifers oppose welfare and other social programs that benefit poor mothers? I would think that they would be promoting such social welfare programs as a way to encourage young women to carry their "child" to term. I would think that would up front in the fight for quality child care for poor and working mothers, school nutrition programs, and affordable health care, yet these same people line up behind every right wing conservative who calls for cuts in social spending.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 04:00 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,459,060 times
Because they are hypocrites. They dictate to people how they should live and turn around and do as they please. It's been that way for centuries. They all live in glass houses AND throw stones. Betcha they have some interesting skeletons in their closets!

Old 11-24-2008, 04:03 PM

695 posts, read 1,378,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
With the exception of Catholics, why as a rule do right wing pro-lifers oppose welfare and other social programs that benefit poor mothers? I would think that they would be promoting such social welfare programs as a way to encourage young women to carry their "child" to term. I would think that would up front in the fight for quality child care for poor and working mothers, school nutrition programs, and affordable health care, yet these same people line up behind every right wing conservative who calls for cuts in social spending.

That's a good question.

I'd guess that you cannot overlook the money angle. Nobody wants to have their taxes raise - and more social programs inevitably, at some point, require more taxes.

Another possible motive is the desire to not promote and sanction laziness, by rewarding it with welfare checks.

I would think that one way to work against abortions would be to enact legislation that would provide full medical coverage for pregnant teenagers. Of course, that could backfire too.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:05 PM

695 posts, read 1,378,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Because they are hypocrites. They dictate to people how they should live and turn around and do as they please. It's been that way for centuries. They all live in glass houses AND throw stones. Betcha they have some interesting skeletons in their closets!
You're an angry person aren't you?

Old 11-24-2008, 04:24 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,072,317 times
Probably because we know a church can do a better job than the government can do.

And I don't like having my tax money taken to give to a "charity" like planned parenthood.

Truth be told, we give more money to charities, per capita, than the non-religious. We like to solve society's problems by charitable organizations. Liberals tend to prefer to just pay more taxes and not get involved.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:33 PM

387 posts, read 678,175 times
The poor are usually born.

Pro-lifers are pro-life up until birth, but never after birth.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:39 PM

Really? Who do you think adopts all the kids? Well...besides Angelina Jolie?

Old 11-24-2008, 04:46 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,578,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

I often wonder the same thing.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:53 PM

Again...it's because we don't want to pay our tax money to a liberal program that will waste it.

We'd rather give our money directly top a charity that will use it efficiently, and morally.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Again...it's because we don't want to pay our tax money to a liberal program that will waste it.

We'd rather give our money directly top a charity that will use it efficiently, and morally.
And a lot of that money donated directly to a charity goes in the pockets of the CEOs and the employees that don't volunteer for the organization. I've talked to many head of non-profits and most prefer volunteer time and products being donated instead of money. I don't have the extra money, so I donate time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies